German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all!

Just popping in to ask what you guys think of Archer’s weight. I’m wondering if he’s a bit too thin. I’d like to keep him nice and lean, but I also don’t want him to be so thin it’s unhealthy! When I run my flat palm over his sides, I can clearly feel each individual rib. He has what seems to me a slightly extreme tuck. Pics from the top and side posted.

·
Registered
431 Posts
A lot depends on his age and if he's still filling out. If you feel he's a bit thin he probably is. From the pics I'd say he looks good, maybe a little bit thin. Just feed him a little bit more and see how he does.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
...with a full and luscious coat like his, on a black dog, while just standing... i’d honestly prefer not to see any ribs, and i do. he’s young... some young dogs can be very lean but in those that are, you generally don’t have to do much to keep them that way. his tuck does not appear extreme.

as you know, you’ll get very mixed opinions here. only you can see and feel him in person, and if you’re asking... you’re asking for a reason. follow your gut. i doubt it would hurt for him to stay exactly where he is... but if he gained 3-4lbs, that’s seriously not going to hurt either.

i work with clients who are blind or visually impaired - i will try to explain to the best of my ability, the system they are taught to monitor their dogs body condition...

1. with your palm facing up, rub your finger across the fleshy part of the knuckle area - too fat.

2. now clinch a fist and rub your fingers across your knuckles - too thin.

3. flatten your palm back out, facing down this time and rub your fingers across your knuckles - this is ideal.

sometimes closing your eyes while going by feel, helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts