German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
He's pretty:) Mine is tall and lean too. She's about 60-65 but she is about 25.5-26 tall. I can't see her ribs, but she has a nice shape to her.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Beautiful dog! He does look ribby, but I don't think he's underweight. He's at that really lanky growth phase where his bones are growing faster than his muscle mass, which is pretty normal. He will fill out as he matures. I would increase his kibble ration by maybe 1/2 cup a day. But personally, I'd rather see a pup on the lean side, so you are doing a good job IMO. :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would rather thin than heavy, and remember he is now a teenager, remember teen age human boys, all lanky, klutzy and big feet, long legs scrawny...well same thing here, all is growing at different speeds and all will catch up and he'll fill out when mature, adn that might not be til 2-3 or later

·
Registered
106 Posts
Uther looks almost exactly like your dog and they are about the same age. I don't notice the ribs showing in the house, but when we get out into the sunlight, I can see them clearly. I think this 6-9 month period is when they are at their lankiest.

I have decided to add some meat to his kibble (Fromm) to see if that makes the "ribby-ness" disappear.

Beautiful dog!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
The flank sucking is an obsessive/compulsive behavior, Dobermans are prone to it as well as gsds. Kind of like the light chasing or tail chasing thing. Will he stop when you tell him to or redirect him? It's something your should discourage

·
Registered
2 Posts
My boy at 6 months and half.
Currently weighing 60-65 lbs but looks too ribby. your opinion?
Atleast 24" to the withers

Likes to flank suck. Not sure why.
hey kev, my shepherds looked just like yours at that age. you could see the same amount of ribs on them like your pup. you got any recent pictures of your dog?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts