German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this interesting...actually irritating is a better term......it's been unseasonably hot here in Virginia for a few days....as everybody knows it's the "norm" to see stories on the news ( pick a location )...about a child or a pet left in a HOT car while someone "shops" or even goes to work....many times things don't end well....it's started in the Richmond area again....

So this morning local news.. before a commercial break I hear...." Stay tuned for some tips on what you can do to avoid locking your child or pet in a hot car ".....I stayed tuned and here it is...." put something IMPORTANT in the back seat with your child or pet like a purse--lap top--briefcase or phone so you won't forget the child or pet "...so here's my take away from that story.....put something important in the back seat with your UNIMPORTANT child / pet so you won't forget them....I really wonder if any stories are "proofed" or actually thought about before they're read on the air.....

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
I keep getting memes on FB featuring a dog and/or child titled if you HAVE to be told it's TOO HOT to leave them in a car, you are TOO STUPID to have one

·
Registered
23 Posts
My local news station ran a similar program a few days ago. Theres no way that this many people "forget" their dogs or children in the backseat, I assume it is just an excuse for when they are caught!

·
Registered
262 Posts
My local news station ran a similar program a few days ago. Theres no way that this many people "forget" their dogs or children in the backseat, I assume it is just an excuse for when they are caught!
When I take my puppies with me on car runs I have 100 lbs of GSD staring at me from the backseat.... I could not even imagine forgetting they are there. :gsdhead: :gsdhead:

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
I doubt "these people" will put their phone on the back seat. I read about a sensor that alerts when something alive is left in the car. Maybe just in a Tesla though. Cars need to be smarter than people.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
So wrong on so many levels. First one: How to increase the chances of child/pet endangerment when you have forgotten them. Even if the heat doesn't get them a thief might.

That's just nuts.

Reactions: Shane'sDad

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
My phone is NOT more important than my dogs thank you very much. I'd leave the phone 110 times out of 110 before I left my dogs.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Exactly what I used to think until I read this Pulitzer prize winning article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/fatal-distraction-forgetting-a-child-in-thebackseat-of-a-car-is-a-horrifying-mistake-is-it-a-crime/2014/06/16/8ae0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

This happens to very good parents. The lizard brain kicks in--your brain goes on automatic pilot and you actually think you dropped your baby off at daycare or whatever when you didn't

It can happen to anyone:

http://www.nanny2u.com.au/the-thing-about-forgetting-kids-in-cars/

Obviously not talking about the scumbags who do this on purpose.

Kids weren't really forgotten in cars until the early 1990s, when the rules changed and you had to put little kids in the back seat.

You can't stop these horrors unless you accurately understand why they happen. And leaving something you can't function without in the back seat is a darn good way to prevent these tragedies.

·
Registered
31,579 Posts
People get on autopilot. We are all so busy and our brains are overloaded. Often, the story I read is that the one person usually takes the baby to the daycare. Then the other needs to take them one day and on the way, they turn to go to work because their brain is already there (at 7:30 this morning my brain was at work on the drive in. I mentally redid a plumbing design for 3 restrooms and a janitors closet). So they turn and the baby is sleeping in the back, never making a sound, park the car and off they go.

In the 1990s, we didn't have cell phones and computers speeding up our lives to the point that a human brain can't function. Look up that. Some pretty interesting stuff out there on that.

I almost drove off for training one morning with my dog sitting on the porch because someone changed the plot on me and my brain fell out. My friend was like "uhhhh...you are missing something" We need some fail safes to stop this. My worst nightmare is leaving my dogs in the car because they don't make a sound. I can't imagine what parents experience when they do this.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
I almost drove off for training one morning with my dog sitting on the porch because someone changed the plot on me and my brain fell out. My friend was like "uhhhh...you are missing something" We need some fail safes to stop this.
Ha, ha, I once drove off to lure coursing practice and after a few miles from home realized that I had not taken the Whippets with me. They must have been in panic mode as they knew very well what happens after the car is packed for this event.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
I've got to training without a crate, I've got 120 miles of a 150 mile trip to training and realized all my gear was at home. The dogs were with me. I've driven in to work on a holiday, I've driven to work when I was headed to the barn. But I have always managed to know when I have my dogs along, where to park in what temperature. But I can see getting distracted.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Exactly what I used to think until I read this Pulitzer prize winning article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/fatal-distraction-forgetting-a-child-in-thebackseat-of-a-car-is-a-horrifying-mistake-is-it-a-crime/2014/06/16/8ae0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

This happens to very good parents. The lizard brain kicks in--your brain goes on automatic pilot and you actually think you dropped your baby off at daycare or whatever when you didn't

It can happen to anyone:

http://www.nanny2u.com.au/the-thing-about-forgetting-kids-in-cars/

Obviously not talking about the scumbags who do this on purpose.

Kids weren't really forgotten in cars until the early 1990s, when the rules changed and you had to put little kids in the back seat.

You can't stop these horrors unless you accurately understand why they happen. And leaving something you can't function without in the back seat is a darn good way to prevent these tragedies.
Thank you for providing the links. I just read the first one and need time to digest. Thank you for this and helping me understand.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
It's weird how we zone out sometimes. Just before Thanksgiving 1993, I had child #2. I hadn't gotten my Christmas stocking candy, so took my kids to K-Mart. Baby was lying in the cart. Toddler was sitting in the cart seat. I picked up a bag of Hershey miniatures and tossed them past the toddler into the cart. I immediately heard, "WHAAAAA!" Oopsie baby. Forgot about you. She's 25 now and mostly OK. I didn't leave her in the cart or the car, so that's good.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
People get on autopilot. We are all so busy and our brains are overloaded. Often, the story I read is that the one person usually takes the baby to the daycare. Then the other needs to take them one day and on the way, they turn to go to work because their brain is already there (at 7:30 this morning my brain was at work on the drive in. I mentally redid a plumbing design for 3 restrooms and a janitors closet). So they turn and the baby is sleeping in the back, never making a sound, park the car and off they go.

In the 1990s, we didn't have cell phones and computers speeding up our lives to the point that a human brain can't function. Look up that. Some pretty interesting stuff out there on that.

I almost drove off for training one morning with my dog sitting on the porch because someone changed the plot on me and my brain fell out. My friend was like "uhhhh...you are missing something" We need some fail safes to stop this. My worst nightmare is leaving my dogs in the car because they don't make a sound. I can't imagine what parents experience when they do this.
^ This very true and an important message.

It's ironically the overconfident that are in more danger of being human and screwing up, because they think you have to be "stupid" to have a brain fart. That would be false. You just have to have a loaded schedule that varies day by day, be tired stressed and distracted. Pretty much modern plugged in life. I drove away from the gym one day with my kid still in the daycare. I usually didn't have him with me on weekdays when I hit the gym for noon classes. He was normally at his prek program but that day he wasn't.

Listen if you have a varied schedule and sometimes you have dogs, sometimes you are the one dropping the kids, sometimes you aren't ...all this in the midst of juggling career,being rushed, guess what? it can happen to anyone and it is HORRIFIC and the person who made the mistake wishes they were dead. I know someone who forgot their infant in the car because the wife usually dropped the baby to daycare and he usually dropped the older kids before going to work. He is by no means an incompetent person. It took him 15 or 20 minutes to suddenly remember..it was a mild cool day thank God.

I think with this message that was spread around they made a mistake by using "important". They should have said put something you cant leave the car without, regardless if you have kids, animals or not. I always put my purse in the back because pretty much in life no matter where I go, regardless of who I have with me, I need my purse (or laptop bag when working) and my phone. And I think about it without variance when getting out of the vehicle. Cant go into the store or a work appointment without it. I have bluetooth for calls it is way safer to have the phone out of reach for a LOT of reasons.

It was good advice that was poorly worded, who ever generated this PSA advice.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's making a lot more sense now with all the different perspectives and extra info. I haven't forgotten my kids in the car but have been guilt jolted into awareness with a hollered cry "my hand" when I closed the window. Too busy thinking about other things to check first. It's terrible too because normally a parents #1 top priority is the safety of their kids.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It's making a lot more sense now with all the different perspectives and extra info. I haven't forgotten my kids in the car but have been guilt jolted into awareness with a hollered cry "my hand" when I closed the window. Too busy thinking about other things to check first. It's terrible too because normally a parents #1 top priority is the safety of their kids.
It's pretty simple how it can happen. Do you always have your baby/toddler/dog with you when you go to the store? No. The mall? No. The Gym? No. Work? No. Do you go into these places without your wallet/ID cards etc? Never. So put your bag in the back.

People aren't forgetting their dog or kids when they go to parks, visiting relatives etc. They are forgetting them when they go places that the dogs and kids are not intrinsic to. Add to that how people are often on the phone going to and from. How many times have you said "hold on you're about to come off the bluetooth". I'm not saying it is forgivable or common. It absolutely means you were careless and distracted. I'm saying it can happen to the best of us and a wise person will err on the side of caution and use helpful tricks to make sure the unthinkable doesn't happen.

Again I think it is a poorly worded but good piece of advice. I do it. I also have a 24/7 temperature monitor in my car that I love (Animalarm). It vibrates my phone with an alert when the temp go out of safe range. We always have our phones...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The different posts ended up making me really think about changes from the 1980s and present times.....baby seats in the front seat versus baby seats in the back AND rearward facing nowadays.....people today are routine driven and operate on "auto pilot" and anything out of the ordinary throws them off...so I can see how it happens......as for phones I'm "old school" i have a nice smart phone but it's rarely turned on....I mainly use it for photos and blue tooth music......nowadays most folks live and die by their phone and their daily routine...every body at one time or the other has forgotten something and left it at home or in the car--Ive done that many times.....I'm a "senior" now but..I'd like to think I'd never forget my child or dog and lock them in a vehicle....at least I hope that's true......and thanks all !

Reactions: CometDog

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
My oldest daughter works for an "adventure" company. They take people on white water, skiing, wilderness hikes etc.... They have as part of their pre trip class a discussion on cell phones and "withdrawal" as they will not have service for several days and this can be too much for some folks. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that, all my kids have had many, many, technology free weekends in the northern Rockies and they have all enjoyed it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My oldest daughter works for an "adventure" company. They take people on white water, skiing, wilderness hikes etc.... They have as part of their pre trip class a discussion on cell phones and "withdrawal" as they will not have service for several days and this can be too much for some folks. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that, all my kids have had many, many, technology free weekends in the northern Rockies and they have all enjoyed it.
Read up on dopamine hits in regards to notifications of all types. It's like consuming a drug every time you get a notification, or a phone call, or even just opening up to the home screen.

Smart phones, and technology in general, have royally messed up our brains. We are actually physically and psychologically addicted to them. Either we have to find a way to speed up our evolution so our brains can handle the constant cognitive load, start training people from infancy how to handle that load, or create devices that minimize the dopamine hits.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts