German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like my shepherd is going through nyla-bones insanely fast. The last one I bought him was the "indestructable big dog proof" galiao one and he had the ends chewed and shaved down within 3 days. I know nyla bone says the plastic pieces pass through their digestive tract fine, but I still feel uncomfortable about my dog eating plastic! Not to mention those things are expensive! I'm getting tired of paying almost 20 bucks for something that doesn't last even a week and claims to be 'indestructible'. Does anyone else have this problem with the nylabones? And does anyone have any other suggestions for a less expensive, relatively safe chew?

·
Registered
10,225 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I go to my local butcher and get the big beef marrow soup bones. I asked the butcher to cut them in either halves or thirds and buy $6 or $7 worth at 99 cents a pound.
My dogs are in heaven. I typically let the dogs have the bones for a few hours, scoop them up, rinse them off, bag them, and put them in the fridge for the next day. I keep that process up for the week and then go buy new bones.
The dogs love them, and they are a good, natural way to keep the tartar off the teeth!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts