German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the bug! With Faelan closing in on two years old, I've been thinking about a companion for him. He's quite the high-energy male and while I certainly do my best to make sure he's the happiest (spoiled) boy there is, I do notice some things, especially when he has a friend over to play. He looooooves play dates. So I'm wondering how a permanent buddy might help him.

The person I live with is not too keen on the idea of a second dog primarily for space and size reasons, so I'm fishing for benefits and ideas that might sell the idea of a second dog. Does anyone have convincing arguments for or against a second dog? :)

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Your dog does not need a second dog for a BFF or a pet. I'm having that same disagreement with my husband.

Get a dog because YOU want the dog and YOU want to spend the time with them. Not because you feel your dog is lonely or needs a playmate.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think if you need to sell the idea, it won't be a comfortable situation for you. Especially if the second dog isn't perfect.
On a side note. We have two puppies, and it is so very rewarding.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think you have to go with what works for you, there is a difference between one or two dogs. You're doubling the amount of work and time and money needed for care.

If you're good with that, then you have to look at the other people in the house. If your roommate doesn't want a second dog around, personally I would abide by their wishes and wait.

Delgado loves other dogs, so he would be estastic having another dog to play with. He lives with other dogs but both of them refuse/can't play with him. However, he does have playdates with other dogs at least once a week and he enjoys that. He also gets lots of attention and exercise with me so he's content with that. I'm not going to add in yet another dog just for him :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I agree with Michelle. Don't get another dog for your dog. Always a bad reason. Always. Get another dog because YOU want another dog. Because YOU have the time to commit to training and care. Two dogs means double the work, double the energy, double the time put in, double the cost.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
OP, keep in mind that even dogs who love play dates can end up not being overly thrilled about sharing their home 24/7 with another dog.

If your room mate is less than happy with the idea of a second dog, the best option is to not get a second dog. A second dog changes things. Everyone needs to be on board with adding another dog in order for it to really work in a positive, pleasant way.

Maybe your room mate would be okay with you fostering for a local shelter or rescue?
Shilah

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Maybe your room mate would be okay with you fostering for a local shelter or rescue?
This is a wonderful idea and something that I often recommend to people who are on the fence about adding a second dog.

Fostering is a way for everybody in the household, human and canine alike, to get a feel for what it would be like to have another furball in the crowd. You'll get to see how your own dog interacts and learn firsthand how your training and handling skills match up to the challenge. In the meantime, you'll be doing a good deed by pulling a dog from death row, polishing up its societal skills, and helping it find a good home.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Also, speaking for myself, whenever I pull a new foster dog, it kills the "MUST... GET... NEW PUPPY" itch for at least a couple of weeks. ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I love this question. Lol
I have a girl who is 13 months and a boy who is 8 months. Each one came home at 8 weeks old from different breeders. At first it was a bit overwhelming with 2 puppies learning to go outside - especially since I live in New England and its cold in the winter.
Both dogs are extremely attached to me - I Love it - but they love each other so much.
Everyday they are outside running, running and running together. We enjoy watching them play .
Then they 'll come in and settle down. They are both high active pups.but snuggle up.
If you want another pup I say Go for it!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I wouldn't get a second pup for the sake of your other dog. I did just that and although I love my little girl very much, it's more than double the work.

Best to you! C:

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Get a second dog for yourself
Let me clarify, of course I want a second pup for myself! :) (I would have a pack if I could :D) I understand what that entails. I just also think that my boy would benefit from having a permanent playmate around, because I can tell how much livelier he gets when he does have a companion around.

The primary issues the person I live with has (they're family, for the record) is the house space. Granted it's not a very large house, but she worries more about the overall cleanliness of the house (dogs tracking stuff in, hair, the usual suspects). The stuff I already handle. She was rather apprehensive about Faelan coming into the family, but her position has been a complete 180 in the 1 1/2 years he's been living with us.

Of course, outside is a different story: That's about 1/4th of his "yard". And we get out quite a bit, to the point that he knows the word "outside" and gets amped up if he hears it more than once in the span of a few seconds.

Keep having playdates!
I would love to more often, but the problem is the relative... remoteness of where I live from his regular friends. See picture. ;) And hence why I've been looking also at a second companion, both for myself and my boy.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nice digs!

Just know that the jump from one to two dogs is pretty big; it's a lifestyle change. But once you have two it's no jump at all to three... and hey, once you have three why not four? You can hold two leashes in each hand, right? XD

BE CAREFUL! Two GSDs is a gateway drug, haha!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I kind of have puppy fever again, which makes no sense, since my dog is not even a year and a half old, and I have issues with reactivity! lol

But I will say, I always dreamed of having 2 dogs, and I hope I can realize that dream one day.

I know in my heart that right now is not the right time, but I hope before she's too much older, that I might be able to add a second dog. We'll have to see how that all works out.

I don't quite understand people trying to talk someone out of a second dog, when I'd say the majority of people here have more than one dog. If you feel you have the time, and finances available to commit (and by now you know what you're up against) and your current dog is well adjusted (no major behavioural issues) then I think it's something to look into.

Of course I'd want everyone on board with it in the household, I see that as the biggest issue.

Even my reactive dog (gets overstimulated easily), I let her play with my dad's Lab the other day (I don't usually let them play together because the Lab is 9 now, and my pup is so wild, i worry she might hurt her!) and the Lab was egging her on and they were having a blast! It did make me a bit sad that she doesn't have a playmate, since she seems to like playing with other dogs quite a lot, but I want to work on teaching her to settle when she's ramped up, so it's not complete chaos all the time.

Anyway, it looks like you have a ton of room outside, doggy paradise!

Fostering is another good idea, but really same thing - you're adding a second dog, albeit temporarily.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Fostering is another good idea, but really same thing - you're adding a second dog, albeit temporarily.
I think that "temporarily" is important, though, especially if anyone in the household has reservations. It's a lower-commitment way to try out the two-dog lifestyle. If it works out, great!, you've got more ammo to convince the holdouts. If not, well, now you know, and in the meantime you've saved a life.

Plus rescues are always completely slammed, and June - August is often the worst time of year with so many foster homes out on vacation. I'm getting desperate pleas three or four times a day in my inbox, and -- just like everyone else -- I can't commit to a foster right now because we're heading out of state on vacation in two weeks. :(

So I figure, if someone's open to trying out the two-dog situation anyway... might as well do so on a temporary basis (and do a major good deed!) and find out just how much work it REALLY is to juggle two furballs at once.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yes, as a temporary try out, I think fostering is a good idea.

I was just thinking people meant foster one after another, which really would be like just getting a second dog, except you'd have to keep getting your dog used to new dogs all the time.

It's good idea to try the situation out, and who knows, maybe one will end up being a keeper? ;)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I was just thinking people meant foster one after another, which really would be like just getting a second dog, except you'd have to keep getting your dog used to new dogs all the time.
Oh, no. I mean, I sure wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it -- and I try to do it myself, as much as my schedule allows -- but that's a bit more of a lifestyle change. ;)

It's got its up sides, though. Maybe someday I'll even remember what they are...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
How beautiful...Tess is 2 and we are contemplating a possible pup next year...fostering sounds like a good way to help with your decision..

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
So I have a related question, maybe slightly OT for the thread.

People say getting a second dog as a companion for the other is not a good idea. What is the reason anyone would get more than one dog then? Obviously you would have to want one to begin with, but that is one of the reasons I've thought about another, is for a bit of extra company through the day for my current dog.

Not something I'm looking to do immediately, but maybe at some point in the future?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts