German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined or rather Liked a fanpage of a GSD rescue near me and they posted a young female GSD, that I think is absolutely beautiful.

I don't know why but something keeps telling me I have t get her. Maybe its that little devil on my shoulder.lol. I have asked my mom a few times, and she seems to be giving in. Its hard to read her sometimes.

Am I being selfish? Should I still ask if I we can get her? I talked to the people to see if she is good with other dogs, and they still have to test her for that. I am going to keep checking back to see if she has been adopted and see if she has been tested good with other dogs. Will it be a good idea to have another female in the house?

Here she is. Her name is Chelsea and she is a 8 month old Bi-Color GSD:
Westside German Shepherd Rescue of Los Angeles

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you have to ask yourself those questions there is usually a good reason. But she is beautiful, very tempting!

Weigh the pros/cons, seeing how your referring to asking your mom should probably require a lengthy discussion with her.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why are you wanting to add a third dog? Is this something you were considering before you saw her, or decided when you saw her?
I never really thought that much into it, and don't mind having a third one. There are other dogs that I would love to have, but she stood out the most to me.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
With never putting that much thought into it until now, I would say bad idea. I think its best to decide you want an additional dog and take your time putting a lot of thought into how things are going to work before actually looking at the dogs. Otherwise your heartstrings could be pulled and then you end up in a situation you aren't prepared for.

Adding a third dog is a really big deal. Do you (and your family) have the time to devote to the training of a third dog? You can do training with all 3 together, but each dog also needs individual time as well. Adding a young dog means even more training requirements. Do you have a large enough vet fund set up? What if all 3 dogs had veterinary emergencies at the same time, or one after the other?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With never putting that much thought into it until now, I would say bad idea. I think its best to decide you want an additional dog and take your time putting a lot of thought into how things are going to work before actually looking at the dogs. Otherwise your heartstrings could be pulled and then you end up in a situation you aren't prepared for.

Adding a third dog is a really big deal. Do you (and your family) have the time to devote to the training of a third dog? You can do training with all 3 together, but each dog also needs individual time as well. Adding a young dog means even more training requirements. Do you have a large enough vet fund set up? What if all 3 dogs had veterinary emergencies at the same time, or one after the other?
Thats why I am going to talk to my parents about it. But if this girl gets adopted, I will be fine. We have the time to train all 3 and give individual time for each dog, and IF we do get to adopt her, she would be my dog and I would pay for her adoption fees, registration(with SEACCA), and an emergency.

My sister is planning on moving out(not sure when its still in the talks so it won't be for a while.) and wants to take Molly with her.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
if she's calling to you and you have the time,energy and whatnot then i say give it a shot. Seriously sit down with your parents and talk to them about it. She's a very beautiful dog and i'm sure she has more potential than any of us can imagine. Go with your instincts.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since I am still living with my parents, they do have the final say in this. If they say no and its final, I will be sad, but hope that this girl gets adopted even if its not by me.

Why does she have to be so pretty and a be a GSD?lol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Since I am still living with my parents, they do have the final say in this. If they say no and its final, I will be sad, but hope that this girl gets adopted even if its not by me.

Why does she have to be so pretty and a be a GSD?lol

because thats how it works!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well i will wish the best that everything works out in the best possible way.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I have to say it's wonderful that she has called to you and touched your heart. It's a great quality that you have and if you get her or not, I'm sure another dog will be lucky to find it's way into your home.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.