German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
This isn't obedience related, but teach him to differentiate between all of his toys.

Teach him to bring you a toy when you tell him to go get it by name.

When Lisl and I come in from playing she usually drops her Kong in the laundry service porch. I may tell her to go get it and bring it to me. Sometimes she puts toys in her crate that I might notice on the way in, and I will tell her to go and get one of those toys.

Lisl knows around six or seven different toys by name that she will go retrieve for me.

It's very easy to teach if you are consistent with what you call the toy.

And keep working on the 'come' command. Shortly, it will be as though your dog has fogotten everything you taught him until he gets through adolescents. 'Come' is the one command he can never ignore or forget. It could save his life one day.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Can y'all tell me ne good training games/exercises for me to do with my 16week gsd? He knows the basic sit/stay/down/come. I want a more challenging way to train his mind.
Start making those same commands harder.

Put him on top of a table and tell him to Down or Sit.

Turn your back to him and tell him to Come. For my dogs, Come is a position - not an action. Come means being seated right in front of me.

Teach him some fun things - Crawl, Spin, BackUp, etc.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Kyra Sundance considers the following to be foundational skills for sports and tricks (and I agree, obv., as I'm reposting it):

-- paw target
-- nose target
-- distance work
-- verbal cue only
-- signal/gesture only
-- scentwork
-- retrieve to hand
-- retrieve to receptacle (dropping an object into another object, like the trick where the dog takes a used Kleenex from you and drops it into the trash can)
-- body awareness/coordination work (platforms, cavaletti, jumps)

Once you have those, you can remix them into endless variations. All of them are also useful for later sports work, and all of them work to enhance your bond.

·
Registered
164 Posts
After Shadow learned 'wait', I use it to have her stay still while I went and hid one of her toys then called for her to search for it. She's terrible at it unless she sees where I've placed it... I swear she can't smell anything sometimes :p

I've started on getting her to recognize keys so someday she'll help me find them if I've lost them

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I've started on getting her to recognize keys so someday she'll help me find them if I've lost them
I did this, but it never actually turned out to be helpful because whenever I'd lose my keys, they were always on a counter or in a desk drawer or somewhere else my dog couldn't reach them to tell me where they were.

It wasn't totally a waste, because nothing (productive) that you ever teach your dog is a waste, but I probably could have done something better with my time. Oh well.

I did later think about using it in a "True Utility Exercises" joke video (the joke here would be sending my dog to find and steal my keys out of a bowl of keys if I accidentally wound up at a key party and wanted to surreptitiously back out of an awkward situation) but setting that up would be so much trouble that I haven't done it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts