German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I wanted to update you guys that my old dog is definitely having some lasting improvement after her chiropractor visit and continuing Adequan injections. I am really not seeing that hitch in the hind end anymore and she has had fewer balance problems too. I know it isn't going to make her young again and she will continue to deteriorate with age, but I am super happy that I do feel like we were able to help her out a little. Yesterday she joined us happily on a 2 mile walk and is still feeling good after.

I also bought her a steppy for the couch because although she CAN still jump up on it, she was failing sometimes and it was just too sad. So now she has a little steppy that is at her spot and she can walk right up on to the couch no problem. She loves it.

Now for my paranoia. I know yet another dog getting euthanized today for hemangio. Dog was perfectly fine until two days ago.

We are supposed to go on vacation early spring. I will leave my old dog for 5 days, including a flight. I've never left her this long in our whole lives together. I'm terrified she could die while I am gone. It's mine and my husband's 10 yr anniversary and we are trying to just take a little time together.

I'm definitely bringing her in for a senior blood panel and I'm not sure what else before I buy plane tickets. Unless I shave her down and ultrasound her the week before we leave I guess there is just no way to be sure. She will be staying at home with a girl she knows well who will take good care of her.

Am I looney paranoid? Knowing my friend is 30 mins away euthanizing their dog right now, who 5 days ago everyone thought was perfectly find...scares the crap out of me. I might seriously ultrasound her right before we go. I can't imagine not being able to get back here in time if she took a turn.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I totally understand your fears. I'm going to offer some friendly advice. Step back, breathe and don't look for problems that aren't there. Buy your plane tickets. If you feel the need, pay more and get refundable tickets just in case. Make your anniversary plans. Be happy today. Enjoy and love your dog. She isn't ill today. No one ever knows what tomorrow will bring. Live....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good news that the hitch is gone. Love the steps idea! I used them for years for my teacup poodle.

Seems you're really concerned about something going wrong with her while you are gone. Maybe go somewhere she can go too, no worry for you and no stress for her?
"It's not where you go but who you're with that makes the best memories." By Avwp

You could be radical like me and totally stop leaving the country and buy an rv so you don't have to leave them ever again! I don't see Paris or Ecuador but I'm so much more happy on our Adventures when i know my furbabies are with me.

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
I’m glad your girl is doing well. It would be up to you. Sadly anything can happen when we are a way. My friends older dog bloated and died while away. Also all can be great when going away. I would imagine the sonogram only to be insightful. I know stress brings out stuff out so it’s good she will be at home and you have a friend to stay. Can she be given something natural to mildly relax her. Like turkey with the tryptophan to help ease any stress or something like.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It's good to hear the chiropractor helped, and the steppy is a great idea. Refundable tickets are a great idea but make your plans and go. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow, all we can do is plan, hope, and live our lives. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating: there's a Native American story about Rabbit and his Fear Calling (you can find it easily by Googling "Rabbit the Fear Caller"). He screams out at Eagle, Snake, and other predators that he's afraid of them, and to leave him alone -- the things he fears hear him and come eat him. I re-read that story sometimes to remind myself not to let myself become Rabbit the Fear Caller with my older dogs.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally understand your fears. I'm going to offer some friendly advice. Step back, breathe and don't look for problems that aren't there. Buy your plane tickets. If you feel the need, pay more and get refundable tickets just in case. Make your anniversary plans. Be happy today. Enjoy and love your dog. She isn't ill today. No one ever knows what tomorrow will bring. Live....
You are totally right. I can't stop my life because my dog is old. and there is no sign of anything urgently wrong with her, just me being paranoid. I will do my best to chill out

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m glad your girl is doing well. It would be up to you. Sadly anything can happen when we are a way. My friends older dog bloated and died while away. Also all can be great when going away. I would imagine the sonogram only to be insightful. I know stress brings out stuff out so it’s good she will be at home and you have a friend to stay. Can she be given something natural to mildly relax her. Like turkey with the tryptophan to help ease any stress or something like.
Well the good news is I really wouldn't say it stresses her out when i leave her. She has stayed with this girl before. She pines by the door for awhile and then she stops. I mean really she is just waiting by the door for me to come back because that's what usually happens but she is laying there sleeping. She doesn't freak out and look for me or anything. She eats fine while I am gone, she acts fine. I think the person who needs stress meds is me LOL

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news that the hitch is gone. Love the steps idea! I used them for years for my teacup poodle.

Seems you're really concerned about something going wrong with her while you are gone. Maybe go somewhere she can go too, no worry for you and no stress for her?
"It's not where you go but who you're with that makes the best memories." By Avwp

You could be radical like me and totally stop leaving the country and buy an rv so you don't have to leave them ever again! I don't see Paris or Ecuador but I'm so much more happy on our Adventures when i know my furbabies are with me.
Well...we have an RV, and I rarely leave them and if I do it's a day or two. But we want to go back to the place where we had our honeymoon...which was only a day and a half ten years ago!!! And try to have a few days this time. LONG 3 day drive...BLEH not doing it. She can't fly anymore, she is too old for that.

So that's why we've decided to fly back there and leave the dogs

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating: there's a Native American story about Rabbit and his Fear Calling (you can find it easily by Googling "Rabbit the Fear Caller"). He screams out at Eagle, Snake, and other predators that he's afraid of them, and to leave him alone -- the things he fears hear him and come eat him. I re-read that story sometimes to remind myself not to let myself become Rabbit the Fear Caller with my older dogs.
I get it. Point taken

·
Super Moderator
6,440 Posts
Happy Anniversary!And I would be feeling conflicted too.Most of us would.Go and enjoy yourself:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Very nice! She looks relaxed. I just ordered the XL dog bath station and ramp. Hope that helps my back and believe it will be easier to brush them and trim their nails. That's my hopes anyway.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Well I am on the otherside of the fence.
I mean it is nice to want to share and do a special 10yr anniversary with your spouse for sentimental reasons. You have earned it.
You plan to have more anniversaries with him..No?
How great would it be if that 10 yrs was marked by spending the (possible) last few days with your dog, or how marred it could be if you chose to go and something happened.

Nothing will likely happen.
But, I know how you feel. When G was dx with the big H...I couldn't leave him. Took a week off work and spent 98% of that time with him. I wasn't planning a vacay, but had picked up extra shifts that I had to give up...didn't care if I was fired - wasn't going to work.

The whole you only live once theory, do what you want...they only live once too...

Reactions: tc68

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I am on the otherside of the fence.
I mean it is nice to want to share and do a special 10yr anniversary with your spouse for sentimental reasons. You have earned it.
You plan to have more anniversaries with him..No?
How great would it be if that 10 yrs was marked by spending the (possible) last few days with your dog, or how marred it could be if you chose to go and something happened.

Nothing will likely happen.
But, I know how you feel. When G was dx with the big H...I couldn't leave him. Took a week off work and spent 98% of that time with him. I wasn't planning a vacay, but had picked up extra shifts that I had to give up...didn't care if I was fired - wasn't going to work.

The whole you only live once theory, do what you want...they only live once too...
Well if she were actually diagnosed with anything I'd 100% never go. We've been talking about this trip for years. I do wish we'd gone sooner rather than later but I didn't have this girl I have now to dog sit which makes a big difference that I'm willing to go at all.

I've not heard anything except she's in great shape for her age from any vet she has seen in the last 2 years. If anything serious came up between now and then I'd never go. My regular vet has said to me before "I bet she'll make it to fifteen no problem" She'll be blind by then but if she doesn't get the big C she could easily live another few years.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice! She looks relaxed. I just ordered the XL dog bath station and ramp. Hope that helps my back and believe it will be easier to brush them and trim their nails. That's my hopes anyway.
I keep trying to save for a groomer's tub because I like my dogs bathed regularly and I just can't flippin lean over the human tub for 3 hours to get them all done.

I was so close and then my truck broke down and ate up all that money and now I'm starting over. One day, I will have one!!

My grooming table made such a difference in my life I can't even tell you and I have a feeling a decent dog tub would do the same, just $$$$$$

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm with others, make your plans and buy the cancellation insurance. With your vets words that she is in good shape, it doesn't sound like you would be this worried if you had not heard of that terrible story.

Right now I'm betwix and between on a trip planned a yr from now. Last time dh and I left alone without the kids (no dogs at that time) was about 25 yrs ago. it didn't go well but ended ok, so I'm battling my own conflicts about leaving our boy (no kids now) but We really want to go.

I think from now til the day before you leave, toss the indecissions out enjoy the planning process of a great trip knowing you have a back door open if you need to make a last minute decision.

Also, could you please tell me the name of that awesome step you got from Chewy, I looked but couldn't find it.

And Happy Anniversary!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts