German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what GSD books you guys would recommend. I don't own one (yet), but I bought "German Shepherds for Dummies" yesterday. So far it seems helpful, and I like the information it gives. Not done reading it yet, though. :p

I heard that the Terra Nova "The German Shepherd Dog" was a good one.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
The homepage here has several book recommendations. There is also a forum about books to read.
Check your library for these:
Bones would rain from the sky by Suzanne Clothier
The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell,
^these two aren't so much GSD books but worth reading!
The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture by Max v Stephenitz
Just reading thru the threads here, you'll learn so much about the different lines and everything else related to the breed.
BTW Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I am not sure I would go quite that far Sergeant. The newer release is better than the old release.

This book is not about GSD's specifcally but the author has GSD's and she uses some of their examples in her book. It is an excellent read about our relationships with dogs. The book is "If Dog's Prayer's Were Answered, Bones Would Rain From the Sky" by Suzanne Clothier. I have read it numerous times. It is one doag book I always come back to read every few years.

There is a website called dogwise that has the best dog related catalog in the country I think. The website is http://www.dogwise.com

Check it out!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Jane I see we posted at the same time and both recommended "Bones"

Great book.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd go as far as saying it's the best book I've read on dogs so far. But I've only read one other. Clifford the Big Red Dog. Lol

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I will back up Bones would rain from the sky, and The other end of the leash. Love both these books, they are not specifically for GSD's but I will tell you, these books are excellent for dog psychology.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Hey Sargeant ~you have to get busy reading this winter! You'll love the ones we suggested! I loved The story of Edgar Sawtelle, even though it was't stated GSD's were the breed in the book, it was really good.
LOL, Kathy!! And yes it is!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I too have Read Edgar Sawtelle. The breed in the book is remarkably like GSD's. It is a great story.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Originally Posted By: The SergeantI'd go as far as saying it's the best book I've read on dogs so far. But I've only read one other. Clifford the Big Red Dog. Lol

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never heard of Bones would Rain from the Sky, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for it when I'm out!

I'll also look for The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture - it seems really hard to get much information about lines from the internet! D:

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Originally Posted By: KonotashiI've never heard of Bones would Rain from the Sky, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for it when I'm out!

I'll also look for The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture - it seems really hard to get much information about lines from the internet! D:
Do a search on the book titles, you can purchase them easily, and get the best deal w/ research. I doubt you'd find them in your local bookstore.

The information of different lines can be found right here in the threads. Look in the breeding section, there are many threads to dig into.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts