German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know whether or not your dog is focusing on you or if he is testing you? Right now I have my 12 1/2 wk focusing for about 10 seconds before I reward him but how does he know I am not just giving him a stare down and like other post I read where her pup stares at her alot how do you tell its not an aggression thing?

·
Super Moderator
32,101 Posts
Originally Posted By: sume74Right now I have my 12 1/2 wk focusing for about 10 seconds before I reward him but how does he know I am not just giving him a stare down and like other post I read where her pup stares at her alot how do you tell its not an aggression thing?
Because he's a 12-1/2 week old puppy.
Encouraging and rewarding your dog from the time he's a young puppy to offer you eye contact and attention is teaching him that it's a GOOD thing, and will make it less likely that he'll see it as a challenge and react aggressively.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
It also has a lot to due with the tone of the eyes and overall body language (both human and canine). The fact that he is a 12 week old baby would be enough to know it isnt aggressive/dominant. A relaxed body (focus) instead of a tense body (aggressive/dominant) would also be sign of the difference. When working with dogs you need to look at the WHOLE body (human and canine) to understand the differences.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts