German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time trying to find a good water/food dish for Shane. I want something high enough so he doesn't have to crank his neck all the way down, but I want something that is easy clean up and looks nice and Shane CAN'T REMOVE THE BOWLS OUT IT! (he has a habit of playing with the bowls when he is done eating!
).

Also, I am looking at these 5 gallons of water feeder. Does anyone recommend those? Or maybe for food? I am on a budget so cheap is good! Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I'm not sure I'm going to be any help with that. I use a regular stainless steel water bowl and a large round stainless steel pan for feeding. But, my dog also lays down to eat ...

One note I do have is on the 5 gallon feeders / waterers (is that a word?) All the ones I have seen have been plastic.

I don't use plastic bowls for any of my pets. Plastic is a porous material and tends to hold on to odors and grow bacteria. A lot of pets are also allergic to plastics. Some common things you see with plastic bowls are discolorations on the dog's nose (that brown "ring" around the top of it) and "chin acne" in cats.

I would stick with regular stainless or ceramic bowls, and just fill them up whenever needed. Also, I recommend cleaning them frequently. I clean mine once a day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We use very heavy and thick ceramic bowls which have lasted for 7 years or so and are still ticking. They can be put in the dishwasher to really get them clean after they start to get slimy. Dogs can't nudge them a lot or pick them up since they are so darned heavy. We use a boot tray under them to catch any spills or sloppiness.

Good luck,
Sue

·
Registered
62 Posts
i got Bruno the 9.5" food/waterbowls; combined with the waterhog placemats and he doesn't get the the kitchen floor covered in water anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts