German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good durable dog bed? Something that's made of nylon possibly? found a good one called Tuff Beds from K-9 Ballistics but that's about $110 for a large. Is paying that much for a good dog bed worth it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use baby crib mattresses (good support, usually used lightyl) and there is a lady on ebay who makes twill covers for them (no zips, buttons, etc mattress just slips in). My dogs love them and they can stretch out.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I use baby crib mattresses (good support, usually used lightyl) and there is a lady on ebay who makes twill covers for them (no zips, buttons, etc mattress just slips in). My dogs love them and they can stretch out.
That's a creative idea!

I got a large rectangular orthopedic bed from Costco and it was under $30 I think. The covers come off for wash and the dogs loved it and so far is holding up. I don't know about it lasting forever but at that price it was worth it. If you have Costco nearby that'd be the place I check. Every now and then they sell well price doggie beds.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never understood the purpose of those types of bed, the one that looks like a table :p... It doesn't look so comfortable either.
It's universal for hot and cold weather, especially comfortable in hot weather. It cleans very easy, just spray with a garden hose. :)

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
the cover is pretty heavy. I sugest if he/shes a chewer. give them a chew toy in their bed....anybed you get, in time wont live up to chewing

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The only bed I have ever had stand up to my 80lb SA dog who digs, chews, tosses bedding, and frequently pees in the crate AND to puppies 8 weeks and up is the Primo Pad (Vinyl dog floor protection pads- Primo Pads). Usually sold at shows, it's a really stable foam heat-sealed in reinforced vinyl.

It doesn't look pretty in your living room, but it'll last a lifetime and it will protect your dog's elbows from those nasty calluses. It pains me to part with $50 for a bed (42in crate size), but I have not regretted it. I've wiped down, steam sterilized, and bleached my pads and they don't look a lick different than they did when I brought them home. My mentor has had a few of them for two years now; she has a digger, and the color hasn't even faded on it despite her best efforts. The guy who sells them at shows makes them with his dad, he's a nice kid. They can make any size or shape custom too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I've ordered a bed from K-9 Ballistics, the orthopedic one. I had to return it because it was NOT waterproof. It also made a lot of noise when my dog got on and off the bed, I couldn't sleep!
Is the Kuranda beds any good? I am thinking of just going with a regular, cheap cotton bed...

·
Registered
443 Posts
My dogs love their knock-off Kuranda bed. They will also lay on my mini-trampoline if I leave it set out. It must be comfy if they choose it over the couch.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Kuranda beds are good. You can add a blanket to give them another layer of cushioning if you want.

Those Primo Pads look VERY intriguing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts