German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Balien zu Treuen Händen SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT
SG Belschik von Eicken-Bruche SchH3 IPO3 FH1 (WUSV, BSP) X Burgos' Unika SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT
July 14, 2004 - October 30, 2017

Vala was the result of an opportunity that came along at the right time when her sire became available for breeding for a reduced stud fee and a side by side AI. She was the first puppy born, came out with a set of lungs and an appetite that never wavered. She was the blue collar puppy and was always attached to mom eating so I dubbed her the “blue tick” after the cartoon of the same name. I remember at one point she was so fat that I worried she would become a swimmer puppy so I would put her on her side and stuff her under the pig rails in the whelping box so she would not always sleep on her stomach.

Vala was a tremendously possessive young dog, with full genetic grips and tremendous tracking ability. She was also a super compliant dog and very easy to train. She was not the most athletic dog I have ever worked tending to have more drive than brains when it came to jumping. She, though, had a huge heart and even at the end still was ready to chase her ball and give me ‘tude about outing. She was a super easy house dog with rock solid nerves that treated our trip to Germany as just another day in her life.

Vala’s name is from the languages of J. R.R Tolkien. Vala is from the elfish language Quenya and means “one with power”. Her registered name, Balien, is a feminized version of Balan which also means “one with power” but in the elfish language of Sindarin.

Vala was the dam of my C, D and E litters resulting in 16 puppies. She produced 8 titled dogs, with one retiring to become an SD and diabetic alert dog. She also produced 1 accelerant detection canine, 1 narcotics dog, 1 explosives dog, 1 trailing/security dog, 1 PPD and 3 in active pet homes.

Vala was my heart dog and I am glad I have her 2 daughters, Deja and Elena, and her granddaughter, LB (Firien) to keep her memory going. She was last of my Nike kids and the last dog that was alive when my husband was still alive. It truly is the end of an era and she is greatly missed.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Losing an end of an era is even harder.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Vala.... Beautiful photos it looks as if she lived a long and fulfilling life! What an amazing lineage she has produced too; her heart will live on!
Sending our condolences, Tolkiens Gandalf You Shall Not Pass! over here in FL...

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Sorry for your loss Lisa. What a beautiful eulogy...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Wonderful memories and accomplishments! My heart goes out to you and I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
From a fellow Tolkien fan, so sorry for your loss! Sounds like she was a really exceptional girl.

Two of my dogs have also had Tolkien-themed names: Star of Hope, my 10 year old ASL/GSL cross, and a rescue I named Ranger Aragorn.

·
Super Moderator
6,411 Posts
So very sorry for your loss.What a wonderful special girl.

·
Super Moderator
4,847 Posts
A wonderful tribute
It is a blessing and a privilege to share our lives with creatures like your old gal.

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. It aches even harder when you lose your heart dog.
I had to smile when you described "her tremendous tracking ability. She was also a super compliant dog and very easy to train. She was not the most athletic dog I have ever worked tending to have more drive than brains when it came to jumping. She, though, had a huge heart and was ready to chase her ball and give me ‘tude about outing. She was a super easy house dog with rock solid nerves"

This could be my Deja's bio. And because of this I can only imagine how tough this loss is. Heal well.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
RIP beautiful Vala

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of your Vala. It is a true gift having a heart companion but so hard when they leave us. Take care

Maggi

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I am so very very sorry , hugs to you:(

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
no matter how long - it is never long enough!

I understand the loss, the sense of an incomplete self when you lose any of them, but the heart dog - the heart dog takes part of your soul.....

Run free Vala.....

<<<hugs>>>

Lee

Reactions: lhczth
1 - 20 of 31 Posts