German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my limited experience, good dog behavior is contagious. We have been working on Ole's reactivity and desire to bark at things that look interesting. (which is pretty much everything)

We walk around the neighborhood a lot. We start with 15-20 minutes of loose leash walking. We do a couple of U-turns as we approach potential distractions to test his threshold. After we find the threshold, we do a few figure-8's (follow me, yield to me) a few feet off the sidewalk near the distraction to improve Ole's ability to follow my body movements or yield to gentle leash pressure. It has gotten to the point where people stop and say hello at the distance Ole last reacted towards them. We approach until he reaches his threshold, end our brief conversation, and say goodbye. Lots of praise for a successful interaction and a correction for a poor interaction. That is why we do U-turns to test his threshold. If we got too close, I consider it my fault, not his.....

If the loose leash walking went pretty well, we do 10-15 minutes of exploring as a reward on the way back home. Ole is free to wander around freely and sniff within the radius of his leash. I switch leash lengths between 6, 10, and 15 feet to changes things up. We stay far enough away from distractions that a whistle of 'leave it' is enough to redirect back towards me.

If the explore goes well we spend 5-10 minutes playing in the yard with him dragging his lead. Something quick like a game of tug, fetch, or even a few laps around the house.

Many other people in the neighborhood have also started working on their dogs' behavior as well...... Nobody wants to be the family with the dog crazier than Ole. :) I think people are seeing that poor dog behavior is not something they need to go to obedience classes to fix, rather it is something one can improve a few seconds at a time while walking their dog.

Good dog behavior is as contagious as bad dog behavior.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Agreed...Same here .. no more pulling leash.. Lex is watching whatever Fozz, the Border Collie is doing and acting like her all of a sudden at 7 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my limited experience, good dog behavior is contagious. We have been working on Ole's reactivity and desire to bark at things that look interesting. (which is pretty much everything)

We walk around the neighborhood a lot. We start with 15-20 minutes of loose leash walking. We do a couple of U-turns as we approach potential distractions to test his threshold. After we find the threshold, we do a few figure-8's (follow me, yield to me) a few feet off the sidewalk near the distraction to improve Ole's ability to follow my body movements or yield to gentle leash pressure. It has gotten to the point where people stop and say hello at the distance Ole last reacted towards them. We approach until he reaches his threshold, end our brief conversation, and say goodbye. Lots of praise for a successful interaction and a correction for a poor interaction. That is why we do U-turns to test his threshold. If we got too close, I consider it my fault, not his.....

If the loose leash walking went pretty well, we do 10-15 minutes of exploring as a reward on the way back home. Ole is free to wander around freely and sniff within the radius of his leash. I switch leash lengths between 6, 10, and 15 feet to changes things up. We stay far enough away from distractions that a whistle of 'leave it' is enough to redirect back towards me.

If the explore goes well we spend 5-10 minutes playing in the yard with him dragging his lead. Something quick like a game of tug, fetch, or even a few laps around the house.

Many other people in the neighborhood have also started working on their dogs' behavior as well...... Nobody wants to be the family with the dog crazier than Ole. :) I think people are seeing that poor dog behavior is not something they need to go to obedience classes to fix, rather it is something one can improve a few seconds at a time while walking their dog.

Good dog behavior is as contagious as bad dog behavior.
How old is Ole?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is Ole?
When I wrote this, Ole was about 7 months old. Overall things are still going well.

Ole is still having trouble walking nicely with his grandma. She is 80 and just wants to go for a walk with the dog and not mess around with training the entire time. Hopefully, he with get better with her over time. Grandma raised her kids and dogs 40 years ago... now, she just wants to enjoy them without the responsibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts