German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
4,497 Posts
I have listened to a podcast about a study that desensitized humans to tarantulas in less than a day. I doubt that those humans would feel as safe with every other spider, though. So working through fear can help some.

But I can't imagine, "here, I'll give you a cupcake while you face this fear", I'd say, "thanks for the cupcake. You can give it to me later after we are OUTofHERE !"

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Great article!

I saw a dog just yesterday that had an uncontrollable phobia of other dogs, it's a sad thing to see! But I really liked the explanation of that situation in this article. It takes lots of patience and time to help a dog get that kind of thing under control, and the bottom line is, they may never get over it entirely...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have listened to a podcast about a study that desensitized humans to tarantulas in less than a day. I doubt that those humans would feel as safe with every other spider, though. So working through fear can help some.

But I can't imagine, "here, I'll give you a cupcake while you face this fear", I'd say, "thanks for the cupcake. You can give it to me later after we are OUTofHERE !"

Yep. I’d be running with my cupcake, though I might throw it as ammunition. Bolted out of the bathroom with my pants down yesterday because a spider came crawling at me. Screamed and ran. Thankfully my partner has zero fear of insects, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lolol!I'm not a fan of spiders either!I "bomb" our basement every fall and get rid of any that want to spend the winter indoors.Then vacuum down there.With hubby it's snakes,which don't bother me at all.Just like with our dogs - we find ways to cope but we will never lose the fear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts