German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found someone offering herding lessons. I'm not sure if it is something Sage can do but we are at least going to give it a shot. He might do alright.

I don't know anything about herding. What am I supposed to do? How do I know if this is a good trainer? I don't want to do anything that is going to hurt him in any way.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
He's old enough. How would learning to herd hurt him? My dog's daddy is a working, herding shepherd and he is also an ASL show champion.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard of trainers putting novice dogs in with too big of sheep or too many I can't remember which maybe both. Not only risk for physically hurting him but also hurting his drive to work

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
More sheep tend to stay together better, so this would be a good thing. I have never heard of sheep being to big. Herding is great fun. Enjoy!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I say go for it! It never hurts to try. You guys just might find yourselves with a new hobby to do together. =)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
You can also ask the trainer to assess your dog before you sign up for classes..They could most likely give you a good indication whether your dog would be interested in it and you to..

I've done some fun herding, well it wasn't to fun when you got a bunch of big sheep coming for ya full force as in "save me from this dog!" LOL..

It is fun tho, and so cool to see the dogs natural abilities just come out..

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diane that is what we are doing. One session to evaluate Sage and see how it goes. It will be pay per session so if we decide it isn't for us we don't have to worry about losing money.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
thats great, I like those kind of options:) Have fun and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been googling the two people handling the sessions and they seem to be very active in AHBA herding. I see no mention of AKC herding is that a bad thing? Is it 2 different styles of herding or is it like AKC vs. UKC type of thing?

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
It is pretty much like the AKC vs UKC thing. The course are similar, but basically arena type herding. AHBA offers more of Ranch Dog trials that are really fun.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
have fun herding. you'll learn as you go and so will
Sage. Sage might be a natural.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
The place Leyna is doing her herding lessons at competes in both AHBA and AKC. You could ask if this is something the trainer does.
As far as not knowing what to do....well, your dog will! Leyna has never seen a sheep before Saturday and she titled. It was like it all clicked together as soon as she saw them. It was alot of fun for both of us.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone!

What I'm worried about is Sage being scared of the sheep. Or will his instincts kick in? He's never seen a farm animal before so I'm not sure how he will react.

I have seen him try to herd dogs so maybe :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd rather ask you guys a stupid question than the trainer..LOL

So if day 1 goes well does he get the herding instinct certificate or do you have to go to a trial or sponsored event to do that? Since he will have already been around sheep then we won't be able to do that will we?

:rofl: I said I don't know anything

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
the person who Instinct certifies you has to be 'one' that can do that, not necessarily your trainer.

Look for HIC tests, sometimes open to all breeds on ASCA website, or the GSDCA website.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Herding is so much fun!!! The trainer will look for several things the first time out, one of them will be if he even notices the sheep, if he looks at them, if he's afraid of them, etc. Our trainer liked that Stosh didn't bark at them or lunge after them. Within minutes he already knew what he wanted to do with them- which was head them off to turn them. Not what we wanted but it showed that he wanted to work them. I'll pass along my trainer's most valuable piece of advice that first time- she said to relax and try to enjoy the moment because there's nothing like the first time you see your dog doing what comes naturally. Seeing that primal instinct emerge is something you only get to see once! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! I am getting excited I hope the storms will miss us tomorrow.

A friend of mine with a BC from farm herding dogs may be coming too. She is insane, will be fun to watch her work. I think if Sage isn't scared of the sheep he will do alright. I hope he loves it.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh LOVES it! And so do I. I think he gets frustrated with me because my learning curve is much greater than his! In the next few days, work Sage with 'down'. You'll use it a lot to get him off the sheep and slow down the pace. You'll probably work some ewes with smaller lambs. The lambs are clueless and look to the older ewes who know what's going on. I couldn't believe how big they are- the ewes are about 150 lbs and the lambs are about 60-80 lbs. I had to sign a waiver agreeing to pay for any animal that Stosh might hurt or kill and at $2.00/lb, my husband said to be sure and throw the lamb in the truck if I ended up having to pay for one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts