German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD continues to go in the house. There have times where we have been outside playing, or have finished going for a walk, and when we get inside, she'll pee. She knows she's doing something wrong, but continues to behave this way. Help!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
How old is your puppy, and how long have you had her?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Hmm...better step up your game. Most puppies learn to use the outdoors exclusively in 2-4 weeks. Some of the most common reasons they don't are structure, and by that I mean some kind of a schedule that works for a young puppy, and consistency, which refers to how often said schedule is deviated from. In your case it could be from habit. So don't let her out of your sight for a few days, keep her leashed indoors and with you always, and take her out immediately if she tries to urinate in the house. Don't punish her though, it's really just a teaching thing. Just calmly interrupt and take her outside. Some folks suggest that you praise the dog for going outside, but I don't. Just like you don't punish them for going inside, I make no big deal out of going outside...it just is what is expected. Be consistent and don't allow her to go inside for a few days and she'll catch on! The real key is you, if you spend a few days and be hyper vigilant you'll be done with it...if you are not 100% consistent it could take much much longer...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've found that a specific spot for their bathroom needs is a good idea. Take your pup to that spot when you know she has to go and wait until she does before any good times occur. If you aren't cleaning her accidents with an enzyme cleaner, get one, so there is no trace of odor she can detect. If you don't have a schedule, I found writing down what is done when helps me figure out, in a mere three days, when it's time to go to the 'spot'.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Definitely heed the advice above, and I'd add "be aware of and be attentive to the puppy's timetable for having to go out".
Right after waking, right after a period of play/exercise, and right after meals, take that pup out!
Be outside with the pup and stay there til you see the pup eliminate. I praise like crazy because I think it helps, others don't. I also said "hurry up" while waiting for the pup to go and while he went. Now it's a cue to use the bathroom.
Yes, use plenty of enzymatic cleaner on mistakes made indoors!

Doing these things, I had Boon house-trained maybe 3 months and accident-free in 4 months.

PS: Looking back, I wish I'd trained him to go in one spot of the yard. I can still do that but might as well have done it then. The yellow dog-spots in the backyard grass are unsightly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts