German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...
So obviously not wanting to remove the "prey" drive from my two girls...
How in the world do I get them to stop chasing our Chickens around the yard!!!
LOL...I have a feeling this is a lost cause.

They have yet to catch one, and I think they are more curious than anything, but has anyone had any experience here?

Let the hounding begin....

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
i agree with laren. once in a while they'll still get to chase a squirrel lol

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have the same problem but my GSD chases wants to chase our horses around. That is not a winning situation for the GSD. LOL So we are working on it with the leave it command and trying to redirect her to something else...like her ball. But its coming along very slowly...but she is making some progress.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I have the same problem but my GSD chases wants to chase our horses around. That is not a winning situation for the GSD. LOL So we are working on it with the leave it command and trying to redirect her to something else...like her ball. But its coming along very slowly...but she is making some progress.
how do the horses react? playfully? aggressive?

yeah the GSD is just slightly outweighed lol

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
A few of the horses act aggressive towards the dog...the others could care less. Its the aggressive ones I'm worried about. LOL

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
We had Aussies that had HIGH CHICKEN drive. One time, I came back from an out of town horse show and noticed that four of our Aussies had hay string tied around their necks. Very alarmed, I hollered for hubby to find out what happened and why the choke hazzard around my dogs. He explained that they had gotten out (he let them out and didn't watch them!) and had killed many of our chickens. His father, being old school and from the country, told hubby to tie the dead chickens around the dog's necks. They will be frightened and totally turned off of the dead, decaying yard birds tied to eachother's neck. Therefore they will no longer chase and kill chickens. However, this did not work as I assume they just ate eachother's chickens. There was nothing left.....just piles of feathers scattered through out the yard.

What did work was utilizing a shock collar. First on hubby for tieing hay strings around my dog's necks....and then on the dogs themselves.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
No shock collars on 10 week old puppies! I would think they are playing more than in prey drive right now? I would start on Leave It, leash them so they can't chase the chickens and fence the chickens so those pesky birds can tease those innocent little puppies. :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Start with on leash training the 'leave it' with them. Do the chickens free range all the time?? Or cooped some of the time. You really need to have the dog under control and get them right up to the chickens. You could do this with the chickens caged to have better control. When I give my dog the leave it command, she wont even look at what she is leaving.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The chickens are free range, and get locked in the coop at night and let out in the morning. I typically have them leashed, but like to let them run around some as well. I will try the leave it training individually.

Should I also let them go over near the chickens on the leash so they get used to them, or is that just plain teasing them?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I would start by letting them watch the chickens at a distance. Personally, I would put up a fence to keep the chickens contained. You'll have two growing dogs and that is just to much temptation to NOT spell trouble at some point.

With my cat, we taught Jax to be Nice. No cat head in the mouth at any time. Leave It. Be Nice. Leave It. Be Nice.

I've seen pictures on this board of GSDs with ducks, baby chickens, rabbits. It can be done! :)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I've tried to teach my dogs that the chickens are off limit. It worked for awhile. I came home one Mothers day after making my rounds. My DH was watching the dogs and let them out...they killed all the chickens so now I don't let the new batch of chickens free range any longer. My border/golden was just fine with the chickens, they took naps in the sun together. She thought they were her babies!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We're planning on adding chickens at some point too. We won't even try to keep the dogs away, just have a mobile, fenced in area for the chickens. Mostly because just one time of the dogs actually catching a chicken will probably provide enough positive reinforcement for the dogs to want to chase them forever, in spite of more training.

It's the lazy way out. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah....soooo after 3 months
We donated the chickens to a farm down the street! LOL
The girls just would not give up and we chose the dogs over the chickens! Good luck to whoever can have free range chickens and free range shepherds!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
A few of the horses act aggressive towards the dog...the others could care less. Its the aggressive ones I'm worried about. LOL

I'd definitely be worried especially if any of those horses are shod. An unshod one does enuf damage, a shod one with the right motivation and one well placed hoof and your poor GSD will meet with a very unhappy fate. (i watched it happen with my horse and a dog growing up)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah....soooo after 3 months
We donated the chickens to a farm down the street! LOL
The girls just would not give up and we chose the dogs over the chickens! Good luck to whoever can have free range chickens and free range shepherds!!!

I have been really lucky with my dogs as one ignores them, and the other one has taught himself to herd them in for me. :)

Glad the problem is sorted now and both chickens and dogs are happy!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have been really lucky with my dogs as one ignores them, and the other one has taught himself to herd them in for me. :)

Glad the problem is sorted now and both chickens and dogs are happy!
That's so funny! Nice when things work out like that, eh ? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts