German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO FROM TEXAS, MY HUSBAND AND I ARE GOING TO LOOK AT GSDS AT A LOCAL BREEDER. I AM DISABLED, IN A POWERCHAIR. MY HUBSAND IS OK. I WANT A OLDER PUPPY. I HAVE A MALE BOXER, 5 YRS OLD , A 13 YEAR FEMALE BOSTON TERRIER, AND A 7 YEAR OLD CHIHAUHAU (PROBABLY MISSPELLED) . I GUESS YOUR WONDERING WHAT THE HECK I NEED WITH ANOTHER DOG...WELL MY BOXER IS A VERY QUIET DOG. HE WILL BARK , BUT I WANT A DOG THAT HAS THE LOOK OF SOMETHING THAT WOULD ACTUALLY PROTECT US IF NEED BE. I AM GOING TO HAVE , AND PARTICIPATE IN OBEDIENCE TRAINING.....ADVICE PLEASE:help:

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Welcome, lizzyjo!
You should look at this: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/137533-things-look-responsible-breeder.html
If the one you are looking at has that criteria, and knows your needs and wants then the breeder should be able to assist you in picking out the right pup for you.

Maybe an older pup or dog from a rescue that has had temperament testing done may be a better fit? That way you don't have to deal with the puppy day to day energy release and constant supervision.
If you scroll down the forums, there are many dogs available in the rescue section and transport can be arranged with many of the rescues.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am concidering an older puppy , 6 months or so. I know the breeder, but i also would love some input from someone that might be or know someone who is disabled. I can use my arms. My problem is in my back. As senior citizens we live a quiet life as a result my boxer is a very quiet dog, not liike most of them are. I have been thinking of this for a while , and i just want to get all the information i can before we make the plunge.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Maybe a post in the forum for service/therapy dogs will get more responses. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/

Do you have a gun? If I want protection, that is where I'd be training.
German Shepherds need a job, and maybe you should get one from a service perspective instead of looking at the protection side. They are all protective usually, but won't or can't stop a crazy with a gun.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am concidering an older puppy , 6 months or so. I know the breeder, but i also would love some input from someone that might be or know someone who is disabled. I can use my arms. My problem is in my back.
This is my concern.. My cousin who is also wheelchair bound (he is 18 with Muscular Dystrophy) has no problems playing and loving on my 21 month old GSD but he does have limited use of his body, his back included. I know walking or grabbing the leash (if my dog pulls the slightest bit, which he really doesn't) can cause him pain. I can't imagine him trying to wrangle a young GSD on his own, and I know he couldn't either.

As senior citizens we live a quiet life as a result my boxer is a very quiet dog, not liike most of them are.
GSD's, especially young GSD's are not quiet, so be prepared for a lifestyle change. If you are up for it, then I say go for it but if not, I would definitely look at other more 'quieter' breeds.

I have been thinking of this for a while , and i just want to get all the information i can before we make the plunge.
This is a great idea. I would also second Jane's advice about talking to rescue's or organizations that have maybe drop-out dogs who have the proper temperament and energy level you are looking for.

Good luck and welcome to the site! :)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome Lizzyjo, hope that you find the right pup for you! :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not foolish enough to put a dog between me and danger...i would probably just try to protect the dog. I am convinced that the look of a german shepherd is a great deterent. If a gsd barks at me i am more put off than if my boston barked at me. I really dont need a service dog. Im sure they are needed elsewhere more than with me. I love gsds , am hoping a life here with me and my husband would satisfy him/her. We can throw the tennis ball with my boxer, with a arm launcher from the deck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After all the post, i will say thanks to everyone. Ii am discouraged now about a gsd. I will probably cancel tomorrow and think more on it. I just dont want to bring an energetic puppy in my home and not be fair to it. I am leary of rescues and mature dogs because of my 3 year old great grandaughter who comes over alot. Her safety is paramount with the dog situation. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
lizzyjo, if you read some of the posts thru here, you'll see that a GSD is naturally a deterrent and usually are so intune to their owners they can be trained to be a SD with a bit of help. I think a mature dog that has been temperament tested (w/dogs and children) could live happily with you. Don't think you'd be taking from someone else as far as the SD goes. Go to the breeder and get an opinion, otherwise you'll never know the "if's"... Wish you luck whatever you decide and the pack you keep now sounds wonderful!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I agree, if you are looking for specific traits, looking at older dogs who are temperament tested (by a reptuable rescue/shelter/breeder) with children and you can see first hand what their energy level is right off the bat might be more of a bonus.

A young GSD is usually very mouthy and like to chase, bite and play hard so having little ones in the mix can sometimes be a disaster (not always of course, an example of Kato, Lexi's male comes to mind, but Lexi her youngest female was very mouthy).

I think asking yourself these questions and really thinking about it before you bring a dog into your home means you are on the right track.

I would definitely go out and talk to the breeder, ask questions (I would also read a lot of the forums here before you did to get some guidelines and questions to ask) but I would also contact some rescues too and go and see them.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts