German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

im here because i might be adopting a gsd. hes 14 months old. his owner is telling me that his neighbors keep complaining about the smell of dog feces.. so he decided to get rid of him for that reason. not a very good reason but if i dont adopt him i know hes going to take him to the pound.. hes a nice looking dog and not aggresive.. i might be picking him up today to see if he gets along with my wifes 5 year old Pomeranian. if they get along then its a done deal . do you guys think at 14 months his bond with his current home will affect how he is with me? or is that one of those you have to wait and see?

will post pics later today

·
Registered
120 Posts
No, his "bond" with his previous owner will not matter much. It may take a little while for him to get comfortable in a new environment and if you give him both patience and time, he'll soon come around.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
At 14 months he's still a youngster. I'll say, though, at any age, a rehomed dog can bond with a new owner.

I have adopted over the several years: a 12-yr old GSD, a ~3-yr old weimaraner, an 11-month old GSD, and a 7-yr old GSD.

The last three are still with me, and I have three sets of adoring eyes focused in my direction pretty much all the time I'm with them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If the smell is so bad that the neighbors are complaining then I don't think the owner probably spends a lot of time with his dog. There might not be much of a bond. Even if I'm wrong I don't think you will have any trouble forming your own bond. With a little time and patience I think you will do just fine.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
My breeder/trainer says dogs are like the song ... Love the one you're with. He will love you just grand. Guess former owner wasn't one for poop and scoop. Sounds like this pup stayed in backyard a lot. Poor baby.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am sad to inform you guys that i don't think i will be able to adopt this guy.. i brought him home to see how my wife and her pom would like him.. it didn't go too well.. the pom didn't seem to like him in his territory .. my wife didn't like that he would jump on you because hes over 100 lbs and my wife is small and the scratching didn't help either.. . . i want to make it work but my wife said NO WAY... i know with enough time i can get him to be a great dog.. i know he doesn't get attention that's why he has so much energy and jumps on people. seeing people makes him super excited.. ... im going to try and convince my wife that i can make it work.. but it doesn't look good atm.. sucks:mad:

any one have any advice on how to get him to stop jumping on people?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he's gorgeous! keep him on a tight leash when around people for now, to prevent jumping,,work on teachng him to 'sit', use treat rewards..

I would explain to your wife, this isn't going to be a 5 minute fix, she needs patience. As well as with the pom, patience is key..

Get a crate and crate train him ..good luck I hope your wife changes her mind he looks like a really nice boy who just needs some training and patience:)

·
Banned
5 Posts
Adopted GSD

That is one beautiful GSD. I adopted a male GSD at 14 months, as well. Jake had no formal training. 8 months later, he is delight, and my best friend. Time and patience is all it will take. I would get rid of the wife and Pom before I would get rid of your GSD. What state are you located in? If he needs to be readopted, I will take him.

J Grabowski

·
Registered
75 Posts
what a lovely dog. poor guy just needs a lil understanding.

i adopted a dog at 1 year old. she wasn't abused but unwanted. she had been kept in a basement with free run of a backyard thru a dog door to the outside. obviously when she came to me, she had no house manners at all. potty breaks were wherever she squatted. with a crate and a couple of weeks, all was well.

she is now 11 and the senior member of my canine family.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
A leash, a crate and some training!

He is stunning!! Beg the wife. Beg her.

Oh and I'm not sure how you introduced the new dog to the existing one, but a lot of dogs will NOT just get along from the get go. We have to introduce them the right way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Aw, what a sweet-looking guy! I agree, beg and plead with your wife to keep him! It wasn't like he tried to eat her or the Pom, right?

Edited to add: when he jumps, turn away. Do Not Interact. He wants attention, and he's not going to get it that way. If that doesn't seem to be sinking in, you can try a completely over the top reaction: if he jumps on you "yelp" and cry like he hurt you badly. Act like you're mortally wounded for a few seconds (and don't give him any attention even if he worries). He's got learn jumping =/= attention from the humans.

Can you keep him in a separate part of the house or in a crate in the backyard for a while? (if the weather is OK) The Pom needs some time to get over this new monster in his life, and your wife probably needs some time to adjust to a HUGE (in comparison to her little dog) active dog. Oh, and clip your guys nails. Nothing worse than excited dog talons.

I speak from experience. I brought home a rescued GSD without a word of warning to my husband. He wasn't too thrilled. Especially because said rescue needed vet care and smelled terrible. Plus hubby has always been a Cat Person, he had no idea how to interact with a dog. He was almost afraid to touch Heinz at first.

Because of his skin issues and because the weather was good, we kept Heinz our backyard with a covered crate for shelter for the first 3 or 4 weeks we had him. That turned out to be a fantastic way to integrate him into the household. The cats got to investigate on their own terms, and Heinz got to observe us and figure out how his new "pack" worked. By the time he started coming inside, he was pretty well adjusted.

We still had to work out territory issues with the cats, and my husband took a while to warm up to having a large and needy beast hanging about (as opposed to our cats, who just co-exist for the most part). I invested in training for Heinz which made hubby happier and made things easier for all of us.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
He is very beautiful.

However, if your wife is dead set in NO, I don't agree with begging and pleading. She may eventually wear down and say yes, but unless its a TRUE yes and not just saying it out of frustration to you bugging her, then you very well may end up with more problems.

Thats not to say don't talk to your wife. Maybe get her on here, both of you do your research together, talk about taking the dog to OB classes, etc etc. It could be that she just needs some education and guidance. NOT pestering and begging.

If not, then would there be anyways you could maybe help find a rescue or another good home for him?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
That is one beautiful GSD. I adopted a male GSD at 14 months, as well. Jake had no formal training. 8 months later, he is delight, and my best friend. Time and patience is all it will take. I would get rid of the wife and Pom before I would get rid of your GSD. What state are you located in? If he needs to be readopted, I will take him.

J Grabowski

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Anyone who would just chuck a marriage over a dog that IS NOT THEIRS probable isn't someone who should ever even be in a relationship.

The dog isn't his, he picked the dog up to see how he got along with the wife and pom. It didn't work out, the dogs, again, is NOT HIS. Now, they may be able to talk and work out stuff, they may not be able to be, but if the OP chucks his wife for a dog that he doesn't even own yet, then, well, I'll keep my opinion to myself on how I feel about people like that.

People who are willing to just chuck a spouse for no good reason are probably just as likely to chuck a dog for no good reason. (NOT talking about the OP, for the record I don't think you would do that :) )

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 3 year old Pom and when i got my GSD i had the same thing she didn't like him in the house, 2 weeks later they are just the best of friends.

·
Registered
51 Posts
when we brought home my puppy our 4 year old chihuahua was less that thrilled. but now she is very good friends with Jackson in only a 4 week time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
he's gorgeous! keep him on a tight leash when around people for now, to prevent jumping,,work on teachng him to 'sit', use treat rewards..

I would explain to your wife, this isn't going to be a 5 minute fix, she needs patience. As well as with the pom, patience is key..

Get a crate and crate train him ..good luck I hope your wife changes her mind he looks like a really nice boy who just needs some training and patience:)
ill keep that in mind i if i do get him.. i told owner to let me know before he decides to ditch his dog

if i can stop the jumping it should be ok from there.. he has soo much energy but doesn't know how to behave on a leash so i wouldn't be able to burn some of his energy on a walk if i got him should i just play with him until hes tired then start training?

J Grabowski
lol.. only if that dog knew how to cook and clean! jk but thanks

what a lovely dog. poor guy just needs a lil understanding.

i adopted a dog at 1 year old. she wasn't abused but unwanted. she had been kept in a basement with free run of a backyard thru a dog door to the outside. obviously when she came to me, she had no house manners at all. potty breaks were wherever she squatted. with a crate and a couple of weeks, all was well.

she is now 11 and the senior member of my canine family.
his owner only spent time with him when he was a puppy.. once he started getting big he just left him in an area in the backyard. so i think id be in the same boat you were in when you adopted your gsd. i know its possible but its going to take some time

A leash, a crate and some training!

He is stunning!! Beg the wife. Beg her.

Oh and I'm not sure how you introduced the new dog to the existing one, but a lot of dogs will NOT just get along from the get go. We have to introduce them the right way.

i might have to try and introduce them again with a different approach.

Aw, what a sweet-looking guy! I agree, beg and plead with your wife to keep him! It wasn't like he tried to eat her or the Pom, right?

Edited to add: when he jumps, turn away. Do Not Interact. He wants attention, and he's not going to get it that way. If that doesn't seem to be sinking in, you can try a completely over the top reaction: if he jumps on you "yelp" and cry like he hurt you badly. Act like you're mortally wounded for a few seconds (and don't give him any attention even if he worries). He's got learn jumping =/= attention from the humans.

Can you keep him in a separate part of the house or in a crate in the backyard for a while? (if the weather is OK) The Pom needs some time to get over this new monster in his life, and your wife probably needs some time to adjust to a HUGE (in comparison to her little dog) active dog. Oh, and clip your guys nails. Nothing worse than excited dog talons.

I speak from experience. I brought home a rescued GSD without a word of warning to my husband. He wasn't too thrilled. Especially because said rescue needed vet care and smelled terrible. Plus hubby has always been a Cat Person, he had no idea how to interact with a dog. He was almost afraid to touch Heinz at first.

Because of his skin issues and because the weather was good, we kept Heinz our backyard with a covered crate for shelter for the first 3 or 4 weeks we had him. That turned out to be a fantastic way to integrate him into the household. The cats got to investigate on their own terms, and Heinz got to observe us and figure out how his new "pack" worked. By the time he started coming inside, he was pretty well adjusted.

We still had to work out territory issues with the cats, and my husband took a while to warm up to having a large and needy beast hanging about (as opposed to our cats, who just co-exist for the most part). I invested in training for Heinz which made hubby happier and made things easier for all of us.
shes telling me if i want a dog just buy a new puppy.. but i told her that this dog is still pretty much a puppy.. just bigger.. i think his size is what my wife doesn't like.. im trying to explain to her that when her little dog jump at her leg its the samething.. you just dont really think about it because he only weighs 9lbs..

He is very beautiful.

However, if your wife is dead set in NO, I don't agree with begging and pleading. She may eventually wear down and say yes, but unless its a TRUE yes and not just saying it out of frustration to you bugging her, then you very well may end up with more problems.

Thats not to say don't talk to your wife. Maybe get her on here, both of you do your research together, talk about taking the dog to OB classes, etc etc. It could be that she just needs some education and guidance. NOT pestering and begging.

If not, then would there be anyways you could maybe help find a rescue or another good home for him?

if i don't adopt him another guy will take him just so he doesn't get taken to the shelter.. the other guy is pretty much hoping i take him so he wouldn't have to. they are in the process of finding a new home so he doesnt want to be stuck in the same position of trying to find a home for this dog if they get a smaller house.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Anyone who would just chuck a marriage over a dog that IS NOT THEIRS probable isn't someone who should ever even be in a relationship.

The dog isn't his, he picked the dog up to see how he got along with the wife and pom. It didn't work out, the dogs, again, is NOT HIS. Now, they may be able to talk and work out stuff, they may not be able to be, but if the OP chucks his wife for a dog that he doesn't even own yet, then, well, I'll keep my opinion to myself on how I feel about people like that.

People who are willing to just chuck a spouse for no good reason are probably just as likely to chuck a dog for no good reason. (NOT talking about the OP, for the record I don't think you would do that :) )
couldn't have said it better my self! lol

I have a 3 year old Pom and when i got my GSD i had the same thing she didn't like him in the house, 2 weeks later they are just the best of friends.
the poms been the only dog in the backyard for 5 years. so i had a feeling he wouldnt like the gsd.. but im going to try a different approach and see if they can become friends

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The dog is thrilled that he is finally getting attention. Once he settles in he will more than likely calm down .. right now he's just soooo excited. German shepherds crave companionship with their people and I'm sure he was very lonely in the backyard. Working on leash training (i.e. obedience) is actually just as exhausting as running around playing. It works them mentally. I would run him around (or play fetch) for a bit, then leash him up and work on some obedience. It will tire him out and make him more settled in the house. I would definitely crate train as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts