German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD puppy is now 4.5 months old. I'm a stay at home mom, so she stays with me almost all day. She's crated for barely 3 hours in the day when I go to run errands and can't take her with me. I was just wondering if I could leave her in the crate for 5-6 hours in the evening to go for dinner with some friends this weekend. Will that disturb her night time sleep? I must add that she also does not seem to like her crate too much (maybe because she's not in it too much). She resists each time I try to put her in...in spite of tasty treats inside it. I would love to have some insight on this too.
Another thing is that she's fully potty trained now...but she seems to need to go out almost every two hours. Since I'm home I do let her out...but is that normal? She's can sleep all night without going though. Today I decided to see if she'll stay longer....and she peed on the floor of my living room. What is going on? I have been potty training her since she was 8 weeks old...and she's still not able to hold her pee. I'm getting very frustrated by this. I would love to get some feedback on this.
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I think a 4.5 month old can stay crated for 4 hours no problem...and should learn how to stay in a crate alone for that length of time. It is good for them to know how to be alone and I would do it a few times before you do the 5-6 hour stretch.
A radio on low volume may help keep her from feeling lonely.
If pup is crated for longer than that a UTI may develop from holding it.
At night the pup is able to hold it longer as they usually aren't eating & drinking for several hours before they are put to bed.
If she continues to potty inside frequently(within a couple hours time) have her checked for a UTI.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I am a stay at home mom too. If it were up to me I wouldn't leave your pup for that long. What I do when I go out is either find someone to sit with the puppy when I am going out for the evening, or I go home after a couple hours And let him out then go back again. Its very normal for your 4.5 months pup to only hold it for 2 hours in the day. Remember that he is running around and playing and that equals more trips out to pee. Wolfie is 9 months old now and just recently he has begun to hold it for more than a couple hours during the day. Try feeding your puo in his crate to help him like it .

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree with what has been said. I still come home at lunch to let my dog out of her crate so she can have a potty break and have a play session and she is 15 mths old. If I remember correctly, she didn't hold her bladder for longer than 3 hours when she was about the age of your pup. So I would think thats normal.

As for the crate...I agree...feed her in there and give her a favorite toy in there as well. She will begin to enjoy going in there as she gets older and she realizes that its a good, safe place to be.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Would it be great to have someone come over and let her out? Sure, but it should not be necessary. Your pup is still resisting her crate because she's not in it that much.

An awake puppy needs to potty much more often than when asleep - think about how much more often you go during the day. This is very normal to have to go out that often and I wouldn't be expecting her to tell me she had to go out either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine puppy is 4 months and I left her today in her crate for 5 hours. She was fine but she does love her crate. I have noticed that when she is not in her crate she pees every 2-3 hours but she holds it when she is in her crate. I think she'll be fine.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Your puppy will be perfectly fine in her crate for 4 - 5 hrs. You most certainly do not need to have someone come stay with her or come home after 2 hrs.

People always refer to the pup sleeping through the night to question why they can't hold it during the day. Just out of curiosity, if you slep 8 hrs at night and don't pee, do you go once in the morning and then wait till after you get home from work to go again? When they sleep, they aren't "thinking" about it. They are snoozing. When they are awake, they potty more.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Feed her in the crate with the door open. Put some of her toys in it so she goes in there go get them. During the day call her and throw some dog treats into the crate. Don't close the door on her.

My puppy goes is his crate willingly, he doesn't really like it there, but he knows the routine.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I second the feeding in her crate.

Yes, four or five hours in the crate should be fine.

If he has gotten used to going out every two hours (pretty normal for a pup that age), and you are trying to teach him to hold it longer, when his normal potty break time comes up, crate him for a bit then let him outside.

The first time you tried to make him hold it, he thought: "Crap!! I need to go and she didn't let me out! I can't hold it ALL day!!!" and he went . . .

But if he is in the crate, he won't want to soil his area and will hold it, as he has in the past. I would start by crating him 15-20 minutes past his normal potty time a few time at first. Then extend that 20 to thirty minutes for a few days, and so on. Gradually extend the time he is kept in, then put in the crate before taking him out. Or if you are not going to take him out right as soon as he asks, watch him like a hawk!

·
Registered
262 Posts
My 4 month old GSD could hold it in for 4-5 hours in the crate. Though we didn't leave him during the day for that long a stretch..but when we occasionally did, he was fine. It should not be a problem at all.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Do it now before you start having a dog with seperation anxiety.
The days that I work from home I still put my pup in he crate and I go in another room to work. Mainly I dont need the distrations and can't watch him while I work. Plus needs to learn to like his crate and be use to it for the days I am not home and he has to be in there.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Minna is just over 5 months old. And I'm typically home all day so she gets a lot of free time out in the house with me. But I make sure she's upstairs in the crate by herself for at least 2-3 hours (usually twice a day) while I do other things or just get a break from her.
She is pretty much indifferent to her crate. She'll go in when told, but she won't go on her own and lay down in crate. And she does recognize that the crate means its nap/sleep/leave me alone time. Which means when she's out of her crate she stays active and moving.

She's at the point now where I can trust her to hold her pee for at lest 5-6 hours if I'm not home. And if she isn't in her crate, she gets taken outside every 2ish hours to at least pee and maybe play a little fetch.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Do you have a yard or do you live in an apartment ? I have been leaving Karma outside in the yard when we have to go and cannot take her since she was 8 weeks old. At 4.5 months she is now quite happy to play in the yard with her chew toys while we disappear to the supermarket or go out to a party or dinner for several hours. I think people can get overprotective with their dogs and wrap them in cotton wool.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Jackie is four months old and I'm a stay at home mom also, but still have to run out on many days, obviously to do errands, doctor appt's etc. She's been left in her crate for about 4-5 hours on days that I have to go out and she's been just fine. She really likes her crate though. She'll go in it during the day and lay down. I've never even put food in with her, just a comfy blanket and some toys. Alll we have to say is "kennel up" and she goes right in. Oh, she does have a radio that's on all the time.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a 4.5 month old. He sleep through the night (7.5 hours) in his crate without a problem. When we leave him at home we put him into an x pen with a crate, toys, a puphead and water. A puphead is an artificial grass potty that he can use if he needs. Generally we are finding he barely uses it anymore if he is alone 3-4 hours. Any more and he pees on that. When the puphead is put away, he goes and stands by the door to go out and does not pee on the carpet. Seems he knows that the puphead and outdoor are the only places. Benefit of this is we can leave for 5 hours etc if necessary and he does not have to hold it, though many times he does.

When at home I let him out after a nap and after food only. No more than that. Other than that I let him tell me when he has to go rather than getting him used to an interval.

With my last shepherd I found if you do it at timed intervals they get used to it, so instead other than food/nap I let him tell me and he does that just fine.

This is his area for when we are away. The only difference now is the crate is bigger and the fence is 48 inches on the rear now to keep him off the counters. We anchor the fence to a hinge on a cabinet so he cannot move it.

then we also have an xpen in the family room with just a bed water and toys that we use when we are home and need to do things. He has learned that when he goes in an xpen he is to lay around chew his toys or nap, but he cannot get underfoot. This all together teaches him how to be alone. In the morning. I take him out to pee, etc and put him in the family room x pen while I shower, etc and he just naps and plays. We only use a crate at night as a result.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 8 week old puppy is in a crate for 4 hrs, then I come home for lunch, then 2.5 hrs more. He is not house trained, but does not mess his crate. I read we would have to use a partition in our large crate so he could not escape his mess or he would pee/poop in it, but lucky us, he simply does not mess in his large crate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts