German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm worried about how my boy is going to do while we are gone for 6 days. He already gets sad and does whatever he can to come with me when I leave for work in the mornings. Like he will not let me out of the front door, he sneaks by and runs to the truck and either sits there or lays down under neath it and wont come out. And one time he got in the truck and I had to drag him out. I felt so bad!!

I have a friend coming to stay at the house while we are gone. But I'm worried he might start acting up when shes there. or he will get out of the backyard and not come back for her. and then theres nothing I could do cuz I will be 2,000 miles away :(

I wish it was easy to take him on the plane with us! I dont know what to do. I'm so worried!!

DSCN5000.jpg

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
For what it's worth......the problem you describe is not uncommon. My wife and me have had seven other GSD's over the years, and loved everyone, with equal passion. Maggie, our current shepherd, is the female version of what you describe. With that being said, she has adjusted quite well to a "Doggie Day Care" here in my area. The day care goes to great lengths to insure the dogs have plenty of play time together....(which I think helps in the dog adjusting to the new situation)....of course the management plays close attention to each animal’s behavior to insure they all get along well. The point is, after Maggie became accustom to the idea.. .if I may call it her idea....she now appears to except going. We started out with just a day a couple of times per week for a couple of weeks, to include an overnight stay. Of course when she saw me she went crazy....glad to see me. She made a week’s stay just recently and did just fine.

The real problem is just as much us as it is the dog..........neither want to be separated............:)

Hope this helps and if you have the time before you depart look into a day care, to see if that would work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortuntaely we leave town on the 25th. So not much time for him to adjust to something like that. Part of me wants to board him just so I know he is safe and cant get out. but I know he would probably hate it with a passion. and I would hate to do something like that to him. I'm thinking of just letting him stay in the house while we are gone. and she can take him out in the yard to play and get exersice. Unfortunately she cant walk him becuase we live in an area with ALOT of loose dogs and every house has at least 4 dogs that bark like crazy. I wont even walk him in our neighborhood unless the bf comes with us. So for that week he gets no walks :(

would it be bad for hi mto be in the house the majority of the time while we are gone? and only be in the backyard when the sitter is at the house? Or would that make things worse?

He was jumping, actually climbing the chainlink fence, when we got him but I think we got that problem fixed. But thats why I'm still worried about him getting out while we are gone. and thinking he can "find" us and not come back home.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
It might be worth the effort to take him for a day and have the management give you an update on his behavior while at day care. You might be surprised.
Regarding the question of him staying in the house for long hours each day. I don't personally recommend that, however that's just my humble opinion. If on the other hand the sitter could be kind enough to stop by say mid-day and then again in the evening and provide so quality attention then may be it might work.

Young dogs, especially our German Shepherds, can get bored easily and a dog like yours with a high level of separation anxiety will certainly have a problem if left alone for a long period of time.

I personally think......IMH.....you would enjoy your vacation and not worry about your dog, if you would give the Doggie Day Care at least a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts