German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't know yet how it feels to lost someone you love, all I can say is I'm sorry for your lost....

I think, even if they had good intentions, you were not ready for a new puppy. But now that you have it, you should work hard with her. It sounds like everthing is "normal". She is a pupp....she needs discipline, exercice and love. Don't let her down! Be patient ;) It will pay :D

You know, GSD seems to stay pupp for a long time ;)

My GSD, Phenix, is 2 years old. We had a few moments were we didn't knew what was going on, what could we do, we were lost. It is not always like you want it to be. You start comparing yourself to other dog owners who seems to have it all right with their dog. But, it is not because a few things go wrong that your pupp or you have a problem, it just mean you are learning.

Phenix is presently into one of this phase which I hate lol! He is more anxious, less patient, do not listen well, hyperactive and do mess (empty the trash, which he NEVER did before ???)....sometime, they are like kids, even like us, they feel BAD! They have bad journey!! lol For some reason they act this way. You have to listen and watch to help them pass through this phase.

Don't let it down, be patient ;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and kind words; I greatly appreciate. It feels wonderful to know that there are individuals out there who are willing to give you a hand, to touch and motivate you to succeed. This is the most wonderful, intellectual, and caring forum out there!

I still have Texas, even though in the past two days she has gotten herself into some trouble (she chewed the electrical wires outside the apartment, when I left her for only 15 minutes to deal with the mattress delivery man, and tried to bite some children who were playing outside). I want to try to make this work; I really do, so I am going to try to dedicate myself even more to her for the next week and see where things go. Some of my friends have suggested that I return Texas; even though at times I want to, I don't want to give up just yet. I want to give it my all. I will keep everyone updated on our trainings and progress. Wish me luck.

With regards to Leela, I cried the other day and held her collar in my hand. I spoke out loud as if she was there and asked her if it was ok that I got another dog. I also told her how much I miss her and I wish our time was not short. The fur on the collar really got to me, since there was still some part of her still here. I miss her with all my heart; I miss her grunts, the feel of her fur, the way she would look at me, how she enjoyed watching tv with me, how she loved training time, and the way she would kiss me. *tear* I know she will always be with me, and one day we will be reunited again.

Thank you all for all of your kind words. I really and truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your Leela.

For one thing, she is constantly crying, whining, and howling. Whether she is in the crate, balcony (she scratches the glass at a constant), car, or even next to me in the living room. Its driving me CRAZY!!!
Some of this is likely anxiety because of being in a new place. Do you know if the breeder socialized and crate trained her? At three months, she should have been being taken out and about and at least started on housetraining.

Another thing that worries me is that she might be dominant. Training wise, in 3 days I have already taught her to come, sit, lay, and watch me; however, she only listens to me when I have food, otherwise, she ignores me.
You've had her three days and she's a puppy, of course she isn't fully trained yet!

Also, when I try to discipline her by saying "No" and redirect her, she turns back and pushes me. If I say leave it, she continues to touch it. She is also always jumping on me and scratching my legs. Texas is constantly challenging me. Today, I was trying to get her to "watch me" and she leaped at my face and almost bit me. Is it only going to get tougher when she gets older? How can I decrease these behaviors?
She isn't "dominant" or "challenging" she's just being a puppy. She really doesn't know what commands mean yet because you've only had her a few days. She'll need a lot more training before you can expect her to follow your commands, regardless of what's going on around her. She also needs some outlets for her energy. I'd suggest a flirt pole to exercise her with a few times a day and food puzzle toys (Kongs, Busy Buddies, etc) to keep her busy in the apartment.

On walks, she pulls on the lead a lot. I am working on it. Though, when she sees a stranger or another dog, she starts to bark, growl, and lunge herself on lead. Is this normal? Is this aggressive behavior? I never had a puppy that would do this. I tried correcting it by snapping the lead a few times, but she would not budge.
I wouldn't say it's "normal" but it's pretty common in GSDs, especially if they've had no socialization yet at 3 months old. This is reactive behavior due to her being anxious about people and other dogs. My suggestion for this would be to take extra good treats on your walks and every time you spot a person and/or other dog, say "look at that!" and start giving her treats until the people pass. Maintain a distance from them where Texas won't react so that she can start to associate seeing people with good stuff. You may need to cross the street when you see people coming at first.

I have very mixed feelings about the puppy. I am scared, I might be in over my head (a dominant or aggressive dog). Granted, my last dog was sickly so she did not have the full energy as a healthy puppy, but I got used to my dog's calm behavior, and Texas is just hyper and energetic. I called the breeder and she is trying to help me by giving me suggestions, and I am trying to use them, but so far they are not working. I also asked her if it did not work out with Texas, if I could return her, she seemed reluctant but agreed she would take her back.

I want to make this work, but I also don't think it shouldn't be this hard. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel lost and helpless. Please help.:confused:

All suggestions and opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

If after a couple more weeks you still feel the same way about this puppy, I would suggest returning her to the breeder, rehoming her yourself or contacting a GSD rescue. I'd be hesitant to return her to the breeder if the breeder seems "reluctant" to take her. I also question the breeder selling your family a dog for you without speaking to you about it. Regardless at her age, Texas will still have an easy time finding a new home. She deserves to be in a home where she is wanted. I don't fault you for feeling the way you do about her, many people feel that way after losing a pet. If you rehome her, wait until you are sure you are ready and consider getting a different breed if you still feel that you'd compare your next puppy to Leela too much.

it sounds like you have a typical land shark. One thing i would suggest is to stop offering treats for tricks. Positive attention getting excited when she does what you ask.
I disagree. Treats are a great training tool for puppies. I'd probably suggest a lot more tricks for treats :) IME puppies taught lots of behaviors from a young age using reward based methods are actually more trainable ("smarter") as adults than puppies who were trained with other methods. These videos are an excellent example of what puppies are capable of learning at a young age with reward based training:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yolle555#p/u/12/2WPzMzBC3Zc

http://www.youtube.com/user/yolle555#p/u/1/_9ZDNXO-J4U

http://www.youtube.com/user/yolle555#p/u/0/gTo2lAvqKUw

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know how you feel. I lost my dog of my heart in August to cancer. He was diagnosed back in April and given 2-3 weeks to live, but decided to die when HE wanted to! I found quite a few websites that helped me, and many suggestions were things I was already doing! Such as....sorting my photos, making collages, and my blog. If you want to go to my blogsite, just skip down to the bottom. I've linked quite a few sites that may help you in your grief. Stories Past & Future

That said, I now have a 4 month old GSD pup, and again, I can share some of your concerns. I'm working hard with him to show him the rules of the house, and we start formal classes this upcoming week. You may want to do that with your dog, as he sounds even pushier than mine! As good as you and I may think we are, we can ALWAYS learn more ways to get our rules and points across!!! lol

My guy got his comeuppance just yesterday from a neighbor's lab, who'd had enough with the pup's growling when they both chased the chuck-it ball. The lab turned and pinned him, and the pup came yelping all the way back to mamma (me!) Now he no longer growls at the lab, and lets him get the ball. He is calmer when he plays, so this was a good thing. He is STILL going to go to classes, tho! Good luck with your guy, and my condolences on your loss. They so quickly dig their own spot in our hearts.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts