German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
:cry:

It's been almost ten years since I've had a pet with fur (not by choice, the apartment my family lives in only allows FISH, not even a hamster or something), and now that things are improving for my family, the prospect of getting a dog late November/early December is really making me insane.

Every day I'm just getting more and more excited, xD I was practically bouncing off the walls when Dad made a few phone calls to some local and out-of-state breeders. Oh! and for those of you that have been following along with my family's decisions on a protection dog/working dog, it seems like a plan has finally been established.

My family's looking to purchase a German Shepherd for myself, and a Malinois for my brother from (name removed).

(***breeder link removed per poster request**)

=) We've spoken to the main guy, (name removed)for days now, in fact, he called twice today -- around 10:00 this morning, and around 1:30 this afternoon to speak with my Dad. He also sent a few emails containing pictures of some of the dogs they have available that would fit our lifestyle (I swear, a picture of this particularly handsome GSD had me in LOVE :wub: ), and even a video of one of their dogs competing in Shutzhund.

Because we live in Ohio currently, we aren't exactly a hop, skip and a jump away from (name removed), we've been discussing a trip sometime in October or November. So I'm pretty excited about just plain LEAVING THE STATE, let alone going to visit some gorgeous, well-trained, fabulous dogs. I can barely sit still with excitement, what with everything that's happening next month and the month after that!

In the meantime, I've been reading most of the active threads, looking at pictures of everyone's wonderful, fantastic pets (which is kinda making me even crazier with envy and awe) and generally trying not to lose my mind.

:p

Side Note: I'm home schooled, so I'm basically sitting here, letting my crazy-excited-thoughts fester and take over my brain.

xD I don't really have any questions, this was just a chance to let out some of this excitement -- I was going to explode otherwise.

Well, maybe one question.
Any idea how to keep myself busy for the next 4-6 weeks?
I guess I've really caught what you guys the German Shepherd Disease, though I wouldn't have it any other way!

P.S.

I just showed my Mom the screen-saver for my MP3 Player, which is a picture of one of the German Shepherd Dogs we're looking into getting for me, and my mom laughed. "I think you have a crush on that dog!"
xD I could only grin like a fool.
I guess "excited" is a bit of an understatement.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
congratulations on your soon to be additions.

Are you getting puppies or adults? I looked at their website and my goodness, Adult trained dogs are going from 25,000 to 65,000 DOLLARS! That is a hefty down payment on a house! Puppies start at 3500!! No wonder the guy is calling you alot, in this economy I don't know how anyone could afford those amounts:)

They better spit dollars for those prices:)
Anyhow good luck

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you!! ^^
We're getting adults, and yes, saying they cost a lot is a bit of an understatement, but my parents are being pretty firm on this. Dad's a bit stubborn, so I'm fairly certain we'll be buying from them regardless, even if we end up getting puppies rather than adults.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
actually unless one is a millionaire, I think it's a ridiculous price to pay for a dog.
There are sooooo many really good breeders with good dogs out there, for the price of one of his adults, I could buy an entire kennel full of excellent dogs with money left over to have them trained by Ivan:)

I am certainly not saying this place has 'lousy' dogs, in fact looks like he has nice dogs and does a good job with them, what I am saying is , if I had that kind of money to throw around, it wouldn't be on 'one' dog.

Honestly , I'd feel guilty spending that kind of money on a dog when there are so many animals, kids, people starving:(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
hehehe!!!! sounds like you might explode from the excitement before you get through another week!!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i do have to agree that its ridiculous to spend the cost of a nice brand new off the line car on a dog. It would certainly be cheaper to buy the puppy and pay the cost to train it yourself and have someone help! Plus the bond would be better. They're awesome dogs but wow thats a hefty price!!! My question.... how are they going to pay for the dog?! money already saved up or taking out a loan?! Ignore the question if its too nosey. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
actually unless one is a millionaire, I think it's a ridiculous price to pay for a dog.
There are sooooo many really good breeders with good dogs out there, for the price of one of his adults, I could buy an entire kennel full of excellent dogs with money left over to have them trained by Ivan

I am certainly not saying this place has 'lousy' dogs, in fact looks like he has nice dogs and does a good job with them, what I am saying is , if I had that kind of money to throw around, it wouldn't be on 'one' dog.

Honestly , I'd feel guilty spending that kind of money on a dog when there are so many animals, kids, people starving
You make a really good point Jakoda, these dogs are ANYTHING but cheap. However, since they're well-trained protection dogs, shouldn't the price be a little higher than average? (okay, it's definitely more than average) I'm definitely no expert on dog prices, but I can see why they're priced above $10,000 dollars. o_O apparently protection-work isn't all that they do. The Malinois my brother looked was trained for and competed in the French Sport Ring, and the Mondio Ring (or so John Whittaker says), and the German Shepherd I looked at was trained for Shutzhund work as well, and is nearing the age where he can earn his first title. I know this doesn't fully explain why the prices are sky high, but those are the only reasons I can think of as to why they're so expensive. ^^" If we could find people who had dogs of the same quality for a better price, we'd probably go with them.

i do have to agree that its ridiculous to spend the cost of a nice brand new off the line car on a dog. It would certainly be cheaper to buy the puppy and pay the cost to train it yourself and have someone help! Plus the bond would be better. They're awesome dogs but wow thats a hefty price!!! My question.... how are they going to pay for the dog?! money already saved up or taking out a loan?! Ignore the question if its too nosey. I'm just curious.
Okay, now I feel a little stupid for posting a link to the website in the thread starting post, the price of the dogs was EXACTLY what I didn't want to talk about. xD I just wanted to let out how excited I was! Ah well, it's my own fault I guess. I'd prefer not to talk about how we're going to buy the dogs, but I'm fairly certain we aren't taking out a loan. ^^""" I'd like to just leave things at that, please.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
If I was going to get a dog that cost that much, I would kiss my college schooling good bye.lol

Well as long as your happy we are too. One of those dogs was sold to some guy in Los Angeles and see if his dog poops gold.lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
=) Thanks, Jessiewessie99. I still wanna see if a moderator could edit my first post. I REALLY don't wanna discuss the price any more than necessary. ^^"

o__O oh wow, Jakoda IS the moderator. Jakoda? If you're still lurking about, could you please remove the link in my first post? (Assuming Moderators have the power to edit posts, that is)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
You make a really good point Jakoda, these dogs are ANYTHING but cheap. However, since they're well-trained protection dogs, shouldn't the price be a little higher than average? (okay, it's definitely more than average) I'm definitely no expert on dog prices, but I can see why they're priced above $10,000 dollars. o_O apparently protection-work isn't all that they do. The Malinois my brother looked was trained for and competed in the French Sport Ring, and the Mondio Ring (or so John Whittaker says), and the German Shepherd I looked at was trained for Shutzhund work as well, and is nearing the age where he can earn his first title. I know this doesn't fully explain why the prices are sky high, but those are the only reasons I can think of as to why they're so expensive. ^^" If we could find people who had dogs of the same quality for a better price, we'd probably go with them.

Okay, now I feel a little stupid for posting a link to the website in the thread starting post, the price of the dogs was EXACTLY what I didn't want to talk about. xD I just wanted to let out how excited I was! Ah well, it's my own fault I guess. I'd prefer not to talk about how we're going to buy the dogs, but I'm fairly certain we aren't taking out a loan. ^^""" I'd like to just leave things at that, please.
There are. You have to look.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

no worries. we're just curious. Course my husband also wont let me spend $2000 on a well bred great quality puppy. He's a rescue guy through and through though he never does any of the training. Honestly, if i had the estate and the money, i would spend a pretty penny on one of those dogs. They have a couple gorgeous sables... lol.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I definately agree when you get an adult trained dog it's going to be expensive, 10,000 dollars is just a drop in the bucket for one of these dogs, the ones listed on his site are 20 - 65,000,,that's a big chunk of money for a dog.

Is your brother planning on continuing the mondio/french ring with the dog? if not, then I think it's a waste of a good dog but if he is, well go for it:)

I can think of a really good gsd that was for sale just recently that was fully trained going for 7,000 but that's just me

I'm glad your excited, it's just my feeling is, it's not necessary to spend that amount of money and get a good dog at the same time.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
sure I can remove the website link if you want.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts