German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first got Zola , first thing we noticed was how aggressive she was when it came to feeding,i mean real aggressive for a little pup,teeth growls the works,,i knew this had to be stopped and with a bit of work it was,now if we wanted to we can go up and take her food away without a single sound,she is quite happy for us to do this......but something has changed,,,,,we can still go up to her and take her food,, but now that we feed her once a day ( normally in the morning ) its as if she is looking for food all the time,with two young boys dropping food all over the house,we have our work cut out checking her,we found it easier now to just put her aside while we clean up after eating time,,..So whats the problem ??? well now and then we give her chewing bones to help keep her teeth clean and again she we quite happy to have them removed from her,,but now if we go anywhere near her,the teeth are shown with quiet growls ,she has never done that since she was a pup,,why the change ? Why is she looking for food all the time ? Its as if she is saying,,"no way you having this im starving "..She is always put aside when she has the bones,,She is up to date with worming.We feed her 400g dry food. But whats happening

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
It's good to know how your dog will react when food or treats are taken away, however I would not test that too often or you may create or add to a guarding problem. When we give bones to chew and its time to put them up, we will take them, bag them and put them away, but we don't play take and give.

" but now that we feed her once a day ( normally in the morning )"

Might try feeding twice a day and see how she does with two smaller meals opposed to one larger one.

·
Registered
31,805 Posts
She's hungry. Feed her twice a day. Do you only eat once a day?

And stop playing with her food. Try trading one food for another, or one treat for another, instead of just taking it away. You can create food resource guarding by continuously taking their food away. Teach her that giving up one thing leads to getting something else so when the day comes that you have to drag something away from her for her own safety, she's not guarding it.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I agree. Feed twice a day. Better on her stomach. Less bulk at one time.

Quit testing her in regards to her food and chews. If you keep testing her, she is going to associate you coming over with something bad. If you do anything, walk past her and drop a treat and walk away. That way she will see you approach as bringing good things.

Sometimes we accidentally create the issue we are trying to avoid by constantly trying to fix it.

I know your pup had an issue, but you got her over it, then you keep testing and pushing. So I would stop that now.

Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Some good points thanks,like the treat drop,...we will try the twice a day feeding...two 200g feeds........at 34/35kg she is big enough .we have photos of her on another post "zola well build ".......she gets loads of exercise but is still on the large side.......oh and we will also try the treat swap..excellent idea

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Feeding her once a day as a way to lose weight is not a good idea. There are several weight management foods out there, between that and increased exercise, she'll lose weight (as long as there is nothing physically wrong that is causing the weight gain).

It sounds like you'll be on a better, more successful track with just a couple of changes (that have been discussed up thread).

Good luck with her! She is gorgeous.
Sheilah

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh thank you....but aren`t all GSD`s:):):):):):):):):):):):):D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do the "hot dog" bit with my dog (he is currently 6 months and I want to avoid any food aggression issues) I will take the food bowl away from him but give him a meaty pc of hot dog so he knows that any time the hand is around the food bowl, it's reward time. :D I also make sure that I am either changing the water bowl or petting him at some point after I give him his food so he is very used to hands and activity around his food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts