German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are going away overnight to the Natural Bridge in Virginia.

Dogs are allowed on the trails and such, and I can have my dog in the hotel room there.

I do want to bring Jazz with me but I have never traveled with a dog before (We always left Comet at home with neighbors coming to care for him).

So, One activity that I would like to do while we are there is to visit a cavern. Jazz would not be welcome there. So, if we brought her kennel with us, would she be ok left in the room for a couple hours? She does fine with being left at home, but this wouldn't be home.

Also, if we decide not to take her, my oldest daughter (18) would be home but she would be gone from 9:30am to about 6 pm on Monday. (We are going Sunday and returning on Monday). What arrangements should I make for her to be happy at home all day alone? She has only been alone for about 3 hours prior to this.

eta: Jazz is 5.5 months old now and will be 6.5 months then.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
That's a great area for a doggy vacation. If you decide to take her double check with your hotel and make sure they allow crated dogs to be left alone in rooms - some places don't allow it, some do.

·
Registered
692 Posts
We are in the same situation. My only concern is he would hear a noise and start barking in the hotel room while we are gone, which management says we will be asked to leave if that happens.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I would think if you take some blankets/toys from home and leave the TV on in the room she'd be fine. And if you time it AFTER a day of hiking, she'd probably be tuckered out and go to sleep.

Sounds like a great trip!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that tidbit, Arycrest. I just called and they said it wouldn't be a problem for them.

Do you think if she is used to being left for a couple hours at a time at home that she would be fine away from home?

Arycrest, do you have personal experience with the Natural Bridge? If so, any hints of what we must do?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aubie, thanks! I was planning on bringing everything that is normally in her crate. And I think you are right about doing it after a nice hike! I am feeling more confident now.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've only been down there on day trips so never had a lot of time to spend checking out things. The last time I was there was quite a few years ago ... I took Abbey with me and we walked along the path down under the Bridge and then we just walked around the area.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we made our trip and for the most part things went very well. She handled the 4 hour drive beautifully, for the most part interacted well with the people some jumping but all friendly encounters, she even handled being left in the room alone for about 1.25 hrs while we had dinner.

We did have one problem however, she couldn't just sleep at night. Every hour or so she barked which wasn't pleasant. I guess she just wasn't relaxed not being at home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts