German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Xyal goes nuts when she sees a car go by.... Should I not even take her outside on a leash?

Also we are doing indoor heel training and will walk by my side off leash but if I put it on her... she gets all scared.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Work and reward, work and reward. Keep at it. Calm reassurance (I'm working on this one)...but I've noticed when I anticipate Sabo having a problem, it's there. If I don't anticipate, it's ok. That's MY problem--pay attention and see if you're the same.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im also having the same problem with SKY , she loves being off the leash but once she is on she will just freeze up and sit there takes a moment to get her walking. She is also afraid of getting in the car.. but I need her to get use to both the leash and car... she is going on 5 months, any advice??

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
If you know of someone with a well mannered confident dog, set up a few walks with them. Our lab was 13, confident and her presence on the first couple walks made all the difference. Once they had a good jump start with her they were then fine by themselves.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
My puppy doesn't mind going in the car now because I give him special things to chew. Sometimes it's an edible nylabone, sometimes it's a puppy nylabone. It keeps him distracted and he only occasionally stops to look around .. and sniff the AC vent which is apparently a fascinating thing.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
When my boy was a pup he would get excited seeing a car pass and want to lunge. I took him everywhere and exposed him to all kinds of places. Took him a lot to our town square where we could work on leashing walking with passing traffic. It really did help. At first I trained him to stop and sit when a car passed...well that wasn't good because it made walks very long:rolleyes: lol

He was never afraid to be on-leash. In that case I would put the leash on and distract with "let's go, let's go" moving fast, switching directions, praise for complying.

Enroll in a group training class. Puppy classes really are fun. It's great for building their confidence as well.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Really cute pup!

Have you tried hooking the leash to her and just letting her drag it around the house a bit? Did that with my pup when he was 12 weeks or so just to get him used to the thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts