German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can explain this behavior....

I was over my son's house with Stella earlier today. She was on a long line with us in the yard. My 4 yr old grandson went on his swing and was being pushed by my son. We were just all standing there talking. All of a sudden(and I am guessing it really wasn't sudden...there was probably a build up I didn't notice)...Stella started lunging and barking at the swing. I tried to calm her down but she was going nuts trying to get at it. I grabbed her butt and she turned around and bit me....well...she turned around to bite whatever was biting her butt, and she stopped as soon as she realized it was me. It took a little while to calm her down.

Was this prey drive? The swing is attached to a big tree, and as it swung back and forth it was out of sight for a few seconds, then back in sight, then back out of sight etc.

She has the same kind of reaction to skateboards and motorcycles. If not prey drive, then what?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I experienced this with my male rescue the first few months I had him. He wanted to grapple/paw my young nephew's feet when he got on the porch swing. Once he even ran up to me as if to mouth my shoes when we were in a park together and I briefly dangled on a swing. He has a strong chase drive and anything in motion gets him going.
I assume it is prey drive/strong desire to chase things. But more importantly, it is unacceptable behavior I'm going to have to manage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts