German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this doesn't violate the 'no discussion about religion' rules of this forum. Please remove if it does. I apologize in advance for treading into a grey area...

Many of you know that I'm Muslim. I've discussed my cultural beliefs regarding dogs being unclean. I wonder though...maybe god didn't want us to have dogs because of the heartbreak they can cause us...maybe the 'uncleanliness' of a dog was sort of a metaphor to keep us away from them. A lot of god's books speak in metaphors. So it just makes me wonder if he's right in a twisted sort of way.

I've a somewhat trusted offer to rehome Smokey. I can see him while I'm here. But...I'll be moving and then? Never?

I'm sorry...I'm unwell today...I don't want to become the nuisance to everyone who decides to read my thought posts...

·
Registered
234 Posts
The joy they give me is one hundred times the heartbreak, so that doesn't make sense to me.

As for dogs being unclean: Almost every religion has opinions on which animals are okay and which ones aren't. Many of those rules are based in a time in history when we didn't understand diseases, bacteria, and germs at all. Certainly these things were written before we had rabies vaccines, before dogs were house pets, before all sorts of things. I think it's wise to take every religions' sayings about specific, concrete rules for practical living as very good advice when it was written, perhaps less so now. That's just my opinion of course.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Perhaps they have been sent to us as great teachers to remind us to live in the now instead of in the future. Dogs do not worry about tomorrow as we do.

They also help us teach our children to accept death as part of the cycle of life.

As far as the "unclean" thing. I guess you would have to understand it in context and religious leaders in your faith are better equipped to help you resolve that question for you.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I don't know about that, but I do know one thing: He didn't intend for us to be miserable.
You do what you have been knowing for a long time is the right thing for you.
Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
No, I don't believe God doesn't want us to have dogs. All animals are here on Earth for a reason, just like humans. I believe dog's are here to be our companions, they bring us happiness and security. Humans and dogs are better off together then apart.

As for the sadness, it's sad they have such short lives compared to ours but the joy they bring during that time like Munraven says outweighs the hurt. It leaves holes in our hearts, but if I didn't get over our first dog's death when I was 11 or having to put down my own dog 2.5 years ago I wouldn't have had several dogs more. Each taught me something different and I'm still learning after being around dogs my entire life. I'll always have dogs surrounding me until I can't care for them anymore, even then I'll be one of those people at the nursing home bugging my family to bring their animals in to visit me.

Perhaps they have been sent to us as great teachers to remind us to live in the now instead of in the future. Dogs do not worry about tomorrow as we do.
Very true :) Rescue dogs are a great example

·
Registered
866 Posts
Regarding being teachers, this story came to mind:

"Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.
I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.
The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.
The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, “I know why.”
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, “People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?”
The six-year-old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
What deity would have made a creature as wonderful, loving, protective, kind, loyal and perfect as a dog and then wanted that creature to live apart from the humans who make it the happiest and most fulfilled? Humans and dogs are like jigsaw pieces that fit perfectly together.

Too many of us have been made better people by good dogs for me ever to doubt that this relationship is as it should be.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I don't believe in religion so I can't answer the God part but I do feel that owning animals makes us more humane - at least those who care for their animals.

They teach us patience (anyone who has raised a puppy knows this :)), kindness (beaten dog showing affection for it's rescuer), understanding (teaching them new behaviors), forgiveness (when WE screw them up they still love us) and how to enjoy the simple things in life.

Right now I'm going outside to play with my pack. I'll watch the Cresteds chase each other and Mauser around the field and then run into the pool to cool off. Then I'll bring everyone in, feed them and they will all crash on the couches. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
They teach us patience (anyone who has raised a puppy knows this :)), kindness (beaten dog showing affection for it's rescuer), understanding (teaching them new behaviors), forgiveness (when WE screw them up they still love us) and how to enjoy the simple things in life.
:)
We've had Joey for almost 2 years (got him at the age of 5 years). He has taught us everything Lauri says.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
The viewpoint of dogs as teachers reminds me of the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain"... very thought provoking.

I often wonder if it's not just "unclean" that's a metaphor, but also "dog". I don't believe in religious writing in the literal sense, but I've often thought of how dogs and pigs are also slang for bad people... maybe think of it metaphorically that way?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Our paths cross many things in life, some good, some not so good. Our animals are a gift to be cherished and loved. When we lose one, we witness pain and heart break. We hold the memories of those we lost near to our hearts. Even though we thought we'd never be able to go through it again, or find one to help us mend, another crosses our path. Due to our previous experiance we love and cherish the next one much deeper.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Didn't you study in the sciences? I urge you to look into your scientific mind and consider that dogs may help us one day help us cure diseases.

Dog And Human Genomes Evolved Together

I don't know about dogs being unclean, some of the people in my town are very "unclean". Could it be that you are putting your dogs above god? My BIL is obsessed with his motorcycles, has one for every day of the week, is seems like he puts them before god, if you see what I mean.

·
Registered
387 Posts
To me the idea that God wouldn't want us to have dogs doesn't make much sense because what we currently know as a dog would never exist if they were not with us. The current dog we know is not a wolf or coyote, it is a dog and that only happened because of the direct relationship to people.
It is really impossible to talk about this without talking about religion because you are pointing to specific religious doctrine as your reasoning. Your relationship with your religion is for you to decide. There are lots of people who feel that sticking to a strict interpretation of a specific doctrine is necessary, lots who feel that it is ok to ignore some doctrine as long as you believe in the idea of the religion as a whole and there are also plenty who look for a sect of whatever religion they are that allows them to live their lives the way they like. That can only be for you to decide.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
In hopes of not violating the rules, both the Bible and the Koran recognize a Creator. He made dogs. The unclean part is to eating them. Sorry if that is gross. But Zeeva as long as you don't eat your dogs you are not upsetting Allah.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Zeeva, I'm sorry you're not feeling well today, in some of your recent posts you seem a little overwhelmed and that can factor into our thinking enormously.
Dogs, children, other drivers :), employers, employees, elderly cats that think you are their personally appointed slave and door opener, all these things can drive us up the wall at times, and yet at other times we are scarcely bothered by them. It is the nature of life that we have good and bad days and has little to do with dieties. I am not a religious person, but, like you, have days when it all seems a little over whelming and you wonder if you're doing the right thing. Don't be too hard on yourself, breathe, take a walk and try focus on the good things and ignore what you can of the bad. Be well.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Zeeva, it is unclear in your post whether you are rehoming your dog because you are a Muslim. No offense intended. Hope you are feeling better soon.
I can't see how dogs are any more unclean than most other animals.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think that is a residual belief stemming from a time when dogs were frequently scavengers, carriers of disease, and hosts for parasites, all things that are rightfully associated with being "unclean".

Nowadays, the circumstances are different and most pet dogs are much better cared for by their owners.

But that's just my personal opinion, for what little it's worth.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts