German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how I would teach Dakota who is 2yo to "herd" Jackie back in when she takes off? Can I teach her to do that? We live on three acres and they love to run and play. Most of the time when we go outside to play Jackie takes off and runs all over. She hasn't learned the "come" command too well yet so we end up chasing her all over. The other day I was out there with them and Jackie took off. Jokingly I said to Dakota, go get Jackie. She took off after her and kind of got her turned around and then she just playfully tackled her. She's done this a few times. Does that mean there's a way to teach her to go get Jackie and bring her back? Does anyone know how I would teach her that? On the other hand, I'm getting some good exercise running after her, lol!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
keep Jackie on a leash untill she has recall. i assume since you haven't
taught Jackie to come you haven't taught her not to run
into the street. what happens if the other dog is herding
her and she runs into the street?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They play in the backyard. Our property is set up so our house sits back pretty far from the road. We have fences on just about all sides of the property. The only part that doesn't have a fence is a break in the treeline at the back of the property and our driveway, but we have a gate that we close. If they went through the break in the treeline they would end up in our neighbors yard and it's a very, very long way to the street on their side. I understand your concern about that, but luckily running into the street isn't really an issue. However, it is true that I need to teach her recall pretty quickly. I have the long lead so maybe I should start using that even when we're playing and make my recall training a top priority.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Does anyone know how I would teach Dakota who is 2yo to "herd" Jackie back in when she takes off? ........ Jokingly I said to Dakota, go get Jackie. She took off after her and kind of got her turned around and then she just playfully tackled her. She's done this a few times. Does that mean there's a way to teach her to go get Jackie and bring her back? Does anyone know how I would teach her that? On the other hand, I'm getting some good exercise running after her, lol!
You could teach Dakota to grab onto Jackies leash and walk her back. :)

As for having Dakota herd Jackie, I don't think I'd teach it. Jackie might accept it great as a puppy but as she gets older she might not be as receptive to the idea. By then Dakota might think it's her job and do it more than you want her to, and that might annoy Jackie. Just guessing though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whiteshepherds, that's a very good point. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts