German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaiser in on Wellness C.O.R.E. which has min. 250mg/kg of Glucosamine Hydrochloride. should I also add a Glucosamine Hydrochloride supliment? or is whats in the food enough? and can you give a dog too much Glucosamine Hydrochloride?

He has no history of problems and his hips have been certified. There has also not been any history of hip/joint probelms in his bloodline.

thanks

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Glucosamine is often not very viable in kibble. The cooking and processing destroys a lot of it.

Yes, you can give too much glucosamine and an overdose will often display itself as gastrointestinal distress (diarhea, vomiting, nausea, ect.), but I doubt there will be any harm at all by putting him on a low dose supplement of 500 mg or less.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
If he has good hips, no bone/joint issues, why bother?

I give 750 mg a day to Morgan because she's almost 7 and has arthritis. Before she started taking it, she was starting to have a hard time with stairs and jumping in the back of the stationwagon. A few months later, she's back to running up the stairs and flying into the car.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I actually asked about this awhile back and heard that some start giving it to younger dogs (I think one person even said 4 months)

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=482449&page=0&fpart=1

Looks like it is still debated

Our two dont have any issues, but I did start giving them Cosequin when they were both around one. I asked the vet and he said it couldnt hurt.

I still wonder if it is worth it? It is expensive, especially if it is not doing anything. Kelso had already had his hips/elbow xrays done and they looked good, however we need to do them again as well as for Allie. Would like to here others opinions.
We feed raw and orijen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SunCzarina thanks for the info and Im glad to here Morgan is doing well. Kaiser just turned 6 and I was thinking more in terms of "preventative" measures. you know hes fine now but if I give him the supplement now will that help when hes 11 or 12 kinda thing. My first GSD was fine until he turned 13 then the stiff joints and arthritis started setting in. Now I understand that with age these things happen but I thought if I could allieviate some of that for Kaiser by starting him on the supplements now I would, if its not going to make any differance in his later yrs then I wont. I try to be proactive instead of reactive when ever possible........or maybe im just one of those overly worried parents

mamagoose thank you for the info, obviously I need to do alot more investigation. I would be ok with giving him the the 500mg but like I said kaisers hips and joints are fine, no problems so if its the type of thing that only helps if they are actually having the problems than theres no point in giving the supplement and there seems to be a whole lot of disagreement on that.

Kelso thanks for the link and your right theres alot of debate. some say its good for preventative steps and another says if there not having symptoms than giving the supplement does nothing. So basiclly I still have no ides what to do.....I will be doing a LOT of investigation on this if i getting anything helpful i will post it

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I'm with you as giving it as a preventative. I do the same for my dogs, and believe that's the reason why my 11 year old mixed breed still has very good joints. It works much more effectively, in my opinion, as a preventative, then starting after the fact.

I also don't think that the amounts in dog food are sufficient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts