German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my pup Wolf Cub by Solid Gold which has quite a bite of vitamins in it already... but one thing I noticed was that it's missing glucosamine.

The vet today recommended vitamins, so I bought them. But now that I look at the ingredients on my pups food bag, it has most of that already! I don't want to overdose my pup on vitamins either lol.

Neither the bottle of vitamins I bought or the food contain glucosamine. Recommendations anyone?

The breeder was the one who recommended the glucosamine.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
its a bit of a guessing game, no concensus. My vet said the glucosamine chondritin was a waste in a pup but to use vitamins in our raw diet. Ive also read that the new data suggests giving the glucosamine /chondritin early. I also agree with the not overdosing chem vitamins. If youre feeding commercial food it has low grade vitamins in it already. I have nothing to say its good but im using hylasport pup sup and glanzen.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
In my opinion, you don't need either at thus point. The food should be complete in its nutrition and supplementing with Glucosamine, while not harmful, probably isn't helping or doing anything in a puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
You have good instincts. Overloading the system with too many vitamins is actually harmful.
Glucosamine is good, but for an older dog. Your puppy is growing, and all he needs is good food and careful exercise.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your advice!

I will just let him grow for a couple months til I consider giving him hip & joint supps.

Thank you again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts