German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
One of the reasons I offer to help people with things like basic obedience, house training is because the number one surrender reason is poor behavior. And it's never a dog problem, always an owner problem.
Unfortunately we live in a world where people want instant gratification. They don't want to work for anything, they just want the end result.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I was "bitten" by a 7 mo old shepherd I was boarding. Tore my shirt, might have broken skin a bit. No aggression for sure. Just a stupid puppy who suddenly had a grown up body and teeth and hadn't been taught proper manners at the proper age.

So who knows whether this dog is really unstable or not.

If the pup is legitimately biting out of aggression then I don't think he should be rehomed

But....there is no way to know.

I have another GSD I board who has a senior dog housemate and he is awful to this poor dog. I feel so sorry for the other dog. The GSD is just not good with other dogs period, very nice with ppl, remarkably good ppl manners. Resource guards, way too rough, body slamming. Will freeze and give a good hard growl to try and get into it with another dog. And he is too young to be acting like that also.

So hard to know what's really going on from an internet post

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need to find a trainer experienced in working with dogs with aggression.

This trainer is in the UK, not sure if they are near you, but maybe worth contacting just to see if they can refer you to someone.
She had one, she wasn’t interested, she said she wanted the dog gone.

We went out our way to get this dog out and into a safe environment......we even went that extra mile because his dad is/was apparently a police dog and with help help of an ex copper friend had a few forces all ready to go out and assess him but the £££ signs obviously got the better of her and she sold the pup on gumtree for £800 even though she didn’t pay a penny for that pup in the first place.

That poor pup could be anywhere and in harms way.
She made is clear in our group and even her daughter stated, her mother “Maria” wanted the pup gone.
Don’t fall for the poor me I need help with my pup because it’s bull ****. She had all the help she needed and wasn’t interested.

·
Registered
902 Posts
She had one, she wasn’t interested, she said she wanted the dog gone.

We went out our way to get this dog out and into a safe environment......we even went that extra mile because his dad is/was apparently a police dog and with help help of an ex copper friend had a few forces all ready to go out and assess him but the £££ signs obviously got the better of her and she sold the pup on gumtree for £800 even though she didn’t pay a penny for that pup in the first place.

That poor pup could be anywhere and in harms way.
She made is clear in our group and even her daughter stated, her mother “Maria” wanted the pup gone.
Don’t fall for the poor me I need help with my pup because it’s bull ****. She had all the help she needed and wasn’t interested.
Wow, that is very sad. Poor pup didn't deserve the treatment he received.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
i can't help but suspect that someone willing to spend that kind of money for a poorly trained, out of control, half grown pup just might have the dedication, commitment and cash to either set this pup on the right track or accept and cherish him for what he is. Just sayin' it's a possibility...

Reactions: IllinoisNative

·
Registered
24 Posts
I understand your frustration. Years ago I had a very difficult dog of a different breed. After two years I gave him up. His new owner understood he was a working dog that needed a job and the dog had a good life from that point on. Based on what I have read I believe your dog is not a good fit for you. He is young enough to respond to a new start. Tell your son the dog absolutely needs to go to a home where he will be a happier and better dog. It's just not a good fit. End it now. Take your son to a shelter and try a breed that is not as difficult as a GSD. Don't look back. Sometimes it just doesnt work out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I missed the page saying she gave the dog away. Hopefully. But if she is returning to read posts - Maria, you did the right thing to find the dog a new home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys I posted a while back about my puppy Levi things have gone from bad to worse he bit my friend and was barking non stop at him a few days later he bit my son Zack on other leg the 2 dogs were fighting and he got in the way I took my son hospital and he was prescribed antibiotics.We got a trainer in who Levi also bit he didn’t do much just overcharged me then the other day my friend offered to help train him she has some experience with dogs unfortunately it all went wrong my son told her not to pull his bed out his mouth she tried to so Levi bit her on both arms it saddens me to say this but she hit him and pushed him into the crate anyway what’s done is done I don’t think I can cope with Levi anymore I’m scared to be honest that he might really hurt someone next time .Had lots of advice from Southend dog training school and joined there Whitts app group if I could afford training classes it wouldn’t be a problem so know I have a 16 year old son crying in his room he is so attached to Levi and has been working really hard with training I don’t know what to do someone suggested I give him to the police force is that a good life for him ?its all getting so stressful and I’m worried about how my son will be if Levi goes 😢
Very sorry that you have this experience with your GSD. Going to a shelter would be a death sentence in my opinion with the bite history. Bites are not excusable but a dog behaviorist may help identify triggers to address.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand your predicament. I'm a single mom and grandmother, too, and this makes us strong leaders. I have been raising and training my fourth GSD, a dog from **** that I bought at 11 weeks.
He's now almost 5 and settling down nicely, so I have some experience. I would advise you to learn all you can about real wolf packs and the true behavior of the alpha. It's not dominance; it's strong leadership. GSDs like Levi need a calm, quiet leader. Cut out the chatter. Learn hand signals so when you do speak, he listens. Make him do something for everything he wants. If it's water, he must sit until you say OK. If it's food, the same. Never allow him to go in front of you. You are his guide in the world of humans. If he doesn't see your son AND you as such, he will revert to his instinct to create a hierarchy, and, since he has a strong character, he will go about it in a rogueish manner without any idea of what he's about. Learn all you can about dog body language and use it to communicate with him. Learn all you can about canine hierarchy. Watch some Cesar Milan videos, not necessarily to adopt his methods, because they would probably backfire on you, but to observe his demeanor. Dogs don't respond to frantic energy. Be like a quiet, take- charge, emergency medic. Be consistent in EVERYTHING you train. GSDs are so quirky. If they are allowed to react to a stimulus in a certain way, they easily get stuck with that reaction. It is a rare GSD that doesn't need calm, quiet, firm, consistent training from the get-go. Some good reading: Fired up, Frantic, and Freaked Out by Lauren Van Erindonk Baugh, On Talking Terms with Dogs by Turid Rugaas. These might get you started, but since your dog has bitten people hard enough to get medical attention, you have a serious liability issue on your hands. I haven't had much luck with trainers because my problems with my dog have been relationship/hierarchy issues more than obedience (a training issue). The training won't work if you don't convince Levi that he's not in command and he's better off not being. Hope this helps. It's a HUGE challenge, and it will be essential for you to be realistic about your ability in terms of time, your own temperament, and dedication. It won't be a quick fix, and it will require rehabilitation. Look for a registered, certified behaviorist, not necessarily a trainer.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Cherlyn, if you read BOTH THREADS about this dog, you will perhaps see that Sabis was right on the mark with her response.

It's all moot, now, as the OP SOLD the dog for a large amount of money. Here's hoping it fares better with its new owner, and has found someone who knows how to train a high-energy adolescent GSD that's never been taught rules and boundaries... :cautious:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Cherlyn05, the original poster no longer has the dog. Sabismom and many others posted incredible helpful advice. I think you didn’t read the entire thread and yes, this thread acts a a very good example of why impulse buying is not good.

If it causes just one person to stop and put thought into a purchase before they buy, then some good came of this thread.

Edit: Apparently Cherlyn has chosen to delete her reply, which is fine but it Leaves mine and Sunsilers response looking strange so just to recap her reply, she quoted and took offense to a reply. This is her right and her right to edit, just want to fill in the blanks/ ? that it caused.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
This thread comes up as the first Highlighted Post in the email the forum sent out and they see the first post before reading the entire thing. We are going to see a lot of advice from people new to the forum or returning for a while, so don’t get too upset. I’m not sure how topics are chosen but this new Trending Posts email has a lot of atypical threads. We’ve had a lot of drama lately and those threads are getting the most activity. It must be computer generated, based on posts or thread views.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Could be the tons of self righteousness on on this forum by the “experts”, coupled with the helpless first time owners who basically buy a GSD and THEN ask - Oh My God - HELP.

I don’t get the pride in antagonism.

I’ll continue to let my dogs educate me and offer advice, where I feel appropriate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Kim Williams Thank you for letting us know and for trying to help her. It must be extremely upsetting to know you were being used by someone who did not want help. Even though we couldn’t help her, someone else may read this and follow the suggestions.
No worries, I was trying so hard not to show my emotions on here but I was furious with her for the lies she was saying on here. She refused the help she then sold the pup for £800 when she was given the pup for nothing. She wasn’t interested in the pup or his where abouts she was more for the money.
Her daughter even admitted that her mum wanted shot of the dog and that she had no interest in teaching/training the puppy.

thank you again

kimx

61 - 79 of 79 Posts