German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
A unstable dog is not a good prospect for police work.
I am not so sure that the puppy is the problem. Some things aren't making sense such as a puppy that attacks an adult dog that doesn't want to play with it anymore. When my adults are done playing with a pup that doesn't want to stop playing, the issue is quickly and decisively handled by the adult. I think there is a lot more going on here that training or correcting is not going to fix.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I am not so sure that the puppy is the problem. Some things aren't making sense such as a puppy that attacks an adult dog that doesn't want to play with it anymore. When my adults are done playing with a pup that doesn't want to stop playing, the issue is quickly and decisively handled by the adult. I think there is a lot more going on here that training or correcting is not going to fix.
I have two dogs. It always seems like my younger one starts their arguments But when I videotaped them in slow motion, I found out the older one almost always starts everything. She is more subtle about it.

If the older dog is actually starting fights, they could get much uglier when the puppy matures. I would worry about any dog brought in around that older dog. A small dog that can’t fight back might get killed.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
I got to about post #30 & I'm ready to ... I dunno, whap a human along side the head.

Gucci barks & the other dog joins in. Yes. They do that. For pete's sake, they DO THAT..

then:
"
most of the problems arise between the 2 dogs "

Yeah, well, so keep them separate.

This is NOT Rocket Science...

What an incredibly frustrating thread.

"

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I have two dogs. It always seems like my younger one starts their arguments But when I videotaped them in slow motion, I found out the older one almost always starts everything. She is more subtle about it.

If the older dog is actually starting fights, they could get much uglier when the puppy matures. I would worry about any dog brought in around that older dog. A small dog that can’t fight back might get killed.
Lol Isn't that the truth? My trainer friend always suggest videoing as well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
From my reading of this, the issue isn’t the dog, it’s your handling of him. If you’re two dogs don’t get along then keep them separated. If that’s not what you want to do, then you need to shut down any out line behavior towards the other dog with a very hard, very strong correction. He should understand in no uncertain terms that it is unacceptable. My two year old isn’t exactly the friendliest dog and wasn’t happy at all about a new puppy coming in. When he showed aggression to the puppy, he got a very hard correction. He learned in less than an hour that it was unacceptable.
Catch the issue early, make the appropriate correction significant enough that it makes the urge to do the unacceptable, less enticing as a choice. It's often quite simple yet you have owners asking how to stop a pup from jumping up, pulling on the leash or nipping for months and months and months.

·
Registered
520 Posts
What we see here is not a DOG PROBLEM it's a HOOMAN PROBLEM>
Sounds to me like no one in this family has appropriate dog training skills. If a young GSD is brought into a home, it's
a 24/7 responsibility to oversee that the dog is not allowed to learn bad behaviors but is instead guided and trained to
become a good canine citizen.
When things are so chaotic and unstructured in the home, the dog will suffer. No excuses. No one in this home IS
responsible enough to work w/ this dog, if they were they would have done some positive re-training by now.
The dog has decided on the rules.
Best to find a new home that understands GSDs and how to train a young one that seems to be a bit undisciplined.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
OP, have you decided anything? Because we may be giving you advise that isn't helpful for your next steps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys I posted a while back about my puppy Levi things have gone from bad to worse he bit my friend and was barking non stop at him a few days later he bit my son Zack on other leg the 2 dogs were fighting and he got in the way I took my son hospital and he was prescribed antibiotics.We got a trainer in who Levi also bit he didn’t do much just overcharged me then the other day my friend offered to help train him she has some experience with dogs unfortunately it all went wrong my son told her not to pull his bed out his mouth she tried to so Levi bit her on both arms it saddens me to say this but she hit him and pushed him into the crate anyway what’s done is done I don’t think I can cope with Levi anymore I’m scared to be honest that he might really hurt someone next time .Had lots of advice from Southend dog training school and joined there Whitts app group if I could afford training classes it wouldn’t be a problem so know I have a 16 year old son crying in his room he is so attached to Levi and has been working really hard with training I don’t know what to do someone suggested I give him to the police force is that a good life for him ?its all getting so stressful and I’m worried about how my son will be if Levi goes 😢
German Shepherds in particular will sit in the shelter ignoring any attempts at a relationship because they are waiting for their owners to come and get them. Just how loyal they are. Good vibes coming your way.... I just read this on the forum how can we part with him now he will be waiting for us he might end up in a shelter 😢😢

No the dog wouldn’t have ended up in a shelter because myself and a friend of mine offered to help find a home and even my friend was willing to take the pup. She agreed on Sat then messed us about by declining, then on Monday she came back asking for our help again. The problem is she wanted rid of the dog there and then and couldn’t wait for things to be put in place. We got a message today stating that she gave the dog away to god know who. I have been stressed since Saturday trying to get things up and running to make sure we got this pup the right home and then we get a message this morning saying we rehomed the dog, he went this morning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys I posted a while back about my puppy Levi things have gone from bad to worse he bit my friend and was barking non stop at him a few days later he bit my son Zack on other leg the 2 dogs were fighting and he got in the way I took my son hospital and he was prescribed antibiotics.We got a trainer in who Levi also bit he didn’t do much just overcharged me then the other day my friend offered to help train him she has some experience with dogs unfortunately it all went wrong my son told her not to pull his bed out his mouth she tried to so Levi bit her on both arms it saddens me to say this but she hit him and pushed him into the crate anyway what’s done is done I don’t think I can cope with Levi anymore I’m scared to be honest that he might really hurt someone next time .Had lots of advice from Southend dog training school and joined there Whitts app group if I could afford training classes it wouldn’t be a problem so know I have a 16 year old son crying in his room he is so attached to Levi and has been working really hard with training I don’t know what to do someone suggested I give him to the police force is that a good life for him ?its all getting so stressful and I’m worried about how my son will be if Levi goes 😢
Are you kidding me????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you
German Shepherds in particular will sit in the shelter ignoring any attempts at a relationship because they are waiting for their owners to come and get them. Just how loyal they are. Good vibes coming your way.... I just read this on the forum how can we part with him now he will be waiting for us he might end up in a shelter 😢😢
Jay and I were running around getting things ready to take him since Saturday and twice you messed us about so stop pulling at peoples heart strings with your sob story and feeling sorry for yourself,

Then you ridded the dog to some guy first thing this morning after we finalised the arrangements for him. It’s clear you wanted that poor pup gone and couldn’t just wait a few days. The pup isn’t even vicious....he’s a typical pup with no clear rules or boundaries put in place and only doing what pups do when they don’t know any other alternative.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually think you should find this dog a suitable home. Too many ifs here and I don't see a lot of commitment. In the meantime the dog gets more set in its ways. You also need all your time to undo spoiling the kids. If not, that will bite you in the butt too.
We had 2 lots set up incase one fell through but she wanted rid of the pup there and then.We got messed about since Saturday and then finally got the go ahead to start the ball rolling which I did only to get a message this morning saying the dog is gone she went this morning. They just couldn’t wait a few days to get the right home. Now god knows where that pup will end up

·
Registered
31,589 Posts
@Kim Williams - are you with a rescue in the area? I always hated owner surrenders when I worked with rescues. They play out exactly like this over and over.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
@Kim Williams - are you with a rescue in the area? I always hated owner surrenders when I worked with rescues. They play out exactly like this over and over.
Tilden... planned owner surrender to a rescue, while awaiting transport arrangements to the foster home, dropped off at the pound instead. Literally couldn’t wait through the weekend.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Tilden... planned owner surrender to a rescue, while awaiting transport arrangements to the foster home, dropped off at the pound instead. Literally couldn’t wait through the weekend.
Unbelievable. This makes me so angry and sad. Poor dog. 🙁

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Unbelievable. This makes me so angry and sad. Poor dog. 🙁
it was...i saw his shelter photo and was interested in him for myself, it wasn’t until i met him and all the dates and details started coming together. i called another volunteer and sure enough it was the same dog. anyway, he became mine...and at least in my case, the story ended well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don’t know what to do part of me wants to keep him then I think I won’t manage my son is out training him now trying so hard so that I say I will keep him I feel so terrible and irresponsible it’s all my fault
You got home for nothing and sold him on gumtree to some stranger for £800 on

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
ok @Kim Williams i understand that you may be disappointed and frustrated with the OP but please be mindful of your replies, as the board has a policy against personal attacks, harassment and/or information based on hearsay.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts