German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Thanks I didn’t say all my kids were spoilt just the youngest and I admit it we all make mistakes along the way some of you guys on here are very quick to judge you must live perfect happy lives
I most definitely do not have a perfect or happy life. But I am pretty determined that my dog is not going to pay for my failings.
You need to train your dog. So lets start there shall we?

·
Registered
260 Posts
At only 7 months, most dogs can be helped.
I would say, hire an experienced trainer. One who has working dog experience.
I would also 100% have your son be the one who works with the trainer.
This will take committment, effort and money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
At only 7 months, most dogs can be helped.
I would say, hire an experienced trainer. One who has working dog experience.
I would also 100% have your son be the one who works with the trainer.
This will take committment, effort and money.
[/QUOT

Get in touch with the association of balanced dog trainers, they will be able to put you in touch with a trainer in your area.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
thank you

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
whew...this all escalated quickly....

OP - First....Please use punctuation so we don't have to decipher what you are writing.

Here is the summary of this disjointed thread so far...

1. Young male dog with aggression issues. Both with dogs and resource guarding. I don't see anything where the dog just randomly bit anyone. The one is the child got between the dogs fighting and the other is some moron who picked a fight over a pillow and then hit the dog.
2. the Main problems come from the two dogs in the household fighting?
3. You do NOT have the money to hire a trainer. If your youngest child is 4 then this son who has money saved up is probably still a minor? Is this really fair to put this responsibility on a minor? Use up his money and when it's not enough, still get rid of the dog?
4. You do not have the skills to train and manage this dog at this point.
5. You are scared of this dog. Really - when you reach this point the game is over and the dog needs to go to a new home. You don't trust the dog to be safe. End of story.

One person in England has given you information on a trainer that rehabs dogs. Regardless of how far you are from them, I highly advise you contact them. They may be able to recommend someone closer to you. IMO, this dog needs a new home. From what you write, you do not have the resources or the skill set to train this dog. Your child will recover from finding the dog a new home. It is the RIGHT THING FOR THE DOG. And that's really the bottom line for me.

You do not need to send him to a shelter. There are rescues in England. You can contact the trainer listed above for help. There is nothing about this situation that is fair to the dog.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
whew...this all escalated quickly....

OP - First....Please use punctuation so we don't have to decipher what you are writing.

Here is the summary of this disjointed thread so far...

1. Young male dog with aggression issues. Both with dogs and resource guarding. I don't see anything where the dog just randomly bit anyone. The one is the child got between the dogs fighting and the other is some moron who picked a fight over a pillow and then hit the dog.
2. the Main problems come from the two dogs in the household fighting?
3. You do NOT have the money to hire a trainer. If your youngest child is 4 then this son who has money saved up is probably still a minor? Is this really fair to put this responsibility on a minor? Use up his money and when it's not enough, still get rid of the dog?
4. You do not have the skills to train and manage this dog at this point.
5. You are scared of this dog. Really - when you reach this point the game is over and the dog needs to go to a new home. You don't trust the dog to be safe. End of story.

One person in England has given you information on a trainer that rehabs dogs. Regardless of how far you are from them, I highly advise you contact them. They may be able to recommend someone closer to you. IMO, this dog needs a new home. From what you write, you do not have the resources or the skill set to train this dog. Your child will recover from finding the dog a new home. It is the RIGHT THING FOR THE DOG. And that's really the bottom line for me.

You do not need to send him to a shelter. There are rescues in England. You can contact the trainer listed above for help. There is nothing about this situation that is fair to the dog.
My youngest son is 16 the youngest of 4 any way thanks for the advice and your kind words

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Thanks I didn’t say all my kids were spoilt just the youngest and I admit it we all make mistakes along the way some of you guys on here are very quick to judge you must live perfect happy lives
Some of us on here spend thousands of dollars and hours training dogs, educating ourselves, attending seminars, working with different clubs and trainers.

I spent 7 hours working dogs today, plus my day job.

While I feel for you, it's hard to be sympathetic. I would exercise this dog for 2 hours every morning, then train, then go to work. I'd repeat this 2 or 3 times a day until I made some headway.

It takes work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We have been training him it’s just set us back after he bit my friend ,who I have now fallen out with ,because she hit the dog she wanted to report it to the police.She abused him and now we are put in a difficult position .I was planning to go to classes that are held locally then we had lock down.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
You said you have a fenced yard? Two ball fetch for 10-15 minutes, followed by a few minutes of sit, down, come followed by at least a 20 minute walk with some heeling and some sniffing and then if he is still wanting to go another10-15 minutes of two ball fetch.
At least three times a day.
Crate when he isn't working and get him out 3-4 more times for short training sessions in your yard in your yard in between. Stop letting him harass your older dog, stop them interacting at all. No toys except when training. No treats except when training.
Muzzle him on walks if you are nervous.
Reach out to the trainer's near you that you were given info on.
And tell your son if he wants to keep his dog to put on his big boy pants and get to work.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
OP, just what is going on between the two dogs in the house? Breaking up dog fights can be very dangerous. You seemed to think it is a catalyst for problems. Just what are they doing?

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Your German Shepherd is 9 months old and still a puppy. I’m also curious about the interactions between the two dogs. I looked up your original thread and found we gave you very good advice then. Were you able to try any of it? It sounds like you never really wanted the dog when you took him. If that is the case, please just rehome him. Otherwise, you need to follow all the advice given and make an effort. So we aren’t all repeating our earlier advice, this is your first thread

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost your sister.Your puppy is bringing mores stress and trauma into your home, while you're still working through your grief. A german shepherd was the wrong breed to get to help fill the emotional void caused by the loss of your sister. A german shepherd puppy, which is what he is until around 2 years of age, requires a lot of consistent management and training. Could I kindly suggest you rehome him to someone experienced with german shepherds? A shih tsu would be a better fit for your household.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OP, just what is going on between the two dogs in the house? Breaking up dog fights can be very dangerous. You seemed to think it is a catalyst for problems. Just what are they doing?
Hi my puppy is always barking at Gucci even when she walks past the crate we have removed all the toys and sometimes walk them together which they do fine Gucci barks when someone knocks on the door and that sets Levi off
Something is terribly wrong. It sounds like you are making repeated efforts to change how you and your son relate to the dog. Must be very confusing for everyone. Trainers are nice, but your problem seems to be right in your house and how everyone gets along. Introducing more confusion with another person isn't going to help. If you son is so attached to the dog, he should be the one to work with him. One consistent voice. It will take committment on his part to walk Levi, feed him, give him a brushing, be the dispenser of treats and play with him. NO ROUGH PLAY, just throw a ball for him, or a stick, basically just spend time building trust and a relationship with the dog. As far as the dog biting, he's defending himself, dogs are - for the most part - not mean. They bite because they are afraid or someone has taught them biting is how he should deal with frustration and confusion. they bit because in the heat of a confrontation, they will be whatever is in front of them.

I'm sorry it's not working out for your family but a shelter might be the only answer. Is this your first German Shepherd? Perhaps you would be happier with a more docile dog? In a shelter Levi might find someone more experienced and in a better situation. And I'm the one who wrote that quote above and it is true, but with time all the ones we've adopted have accepted us and made their home with us. Duke took a little more than a month to decide we were okay and he'd stay. Ellie would stay with anyone, her behavior was an attitude of doing whatever awful thing she wanted because she was sure we'd just return her to the shelter like all her previous owners. It took a long time just to be able to pet her, but we had her 10 years.
someone from the advice group we joined suggested we give him up to the police for training What do you think about that ?i agree with what you said he just isn’t for us as a family I feel he would
I'm so sorry you lost your sister.Your puppy is bringing mores stress and trauma into your home, while you're still working through your grief. A german shepherd was the wrong breed to get to help fill the emotional void caused by the loss of your sister. A german shepherd puppy, which is what he is until around 2 years of age, requires a lot of consistent management and training. Could I kindly suggest you rehome him to someone experienced with german shepherds? A shih tsu would be a better fit for your household.
thanks I agree With what you are saying I understand why people on here are annoyed with me
Something is terribly wrong. It sounds like you are making repeated efforts to change how you and your son relate to the dog. Must be very confusing for everyone. Trainers are nice, but your problem seems to be right in your house and how everyone gets along. Introducing more confusion with another person isn't going to help. If you son is so attached to the dog, he should be the one to work with him. One consistent voice. It will take committment on his part to walk Levi, feed him, give him a brushing, be the dispenser of treats and play with him. NO ROUGH PLAY, just throw a ball for him, or a stick, basically just spend time building trust and a relationship with the dog. As far as the dog biting, he's defending himself, dogs are - for the most part - not mean. They bite because they are afraid or someone has taught them biting is how he should deal with frustration and confusion. they bit because in the heat of a confrontation, they will be whatever is in front of them.

I'm sorry it's not working out for your family but a shelter might be the only answer. Is this your first German Shepherd? Perhaps you would be happier with a more docile dog? In a shelter Levi might find someone more experienced and in a better situation. And I'm the one who wrote that quote above and it is true, but with time all the ones we've adopted have accepted us and made their home with us. Duke took a little more than a month to decide we were okay and he'd stay. Ellie would stay with anyone, her behavior was an attitude of doing whatever awful thing she wanted because she was sure we'd just return her to the shelter like all her previous owners. It took a long time just to be able to pet her, but we had her 10 years.
hi is there a way to private message on here
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,450 Posts
Click on a members name and you will see a message option

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Hi my puppy is always barking at Gucci even when she walks past the crate we have removed all the toys and sometimes walk them together which they do fine Gucci barks when someone knocks on the door and that sets Levi off

someone from the advice group we joined suggested we give him up to the police for training What do you think about that ?i agree with what you said he just isn’t for us as a family I feel he would
Oh, you previously stated your son got bit because the two dogs were fighting and he got in the way.

he is a different dog when he is alone most of the problems arise between the 2 dogs
I was looking for clarification of the problems between the two dogs that concern you.

It's not common for a 7 month old puppy to fight. Play, yes, not fight although it can happen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Oh, you previously stated your son got bit because the two dogs were fighting and he got in the way.

I was looking for clarification of the problems between the two dogs that concern you.

It's not common for a 7 month old puppy to fight. Play, yes, not fight although it can happen.
Hi sometimes they play then Gucci wants to stop but Levi won’t so Levi gets aggressive towards Gucci my son said he tried to move out the way .
I don’t understand when he was a little younger I would take him out every morning and we were progressing then I got worried because he was lunging at cyclists and runners ,it’s like since he bit my friend his behaviour has changed .

·
Registered
299 Posts
From my reading of this, the issue isn’t the dog, it’s your handling of him. If you’re two dogs don’t get along then keep them separated. If that’s not what you want to do, then you need to shut down any out line behavior towards the other dog with a very hard, very strong correction. He should understand in no uncertain terms that it is unacceptable. My two year old isn’t exactly the friendliest dog and wasn’t happy at all about a new puppy coming in. When he showed aggression to the puppy, he got a very hard correction. He learned in less than an hour that it was unacceptable. I now have to dogs that play and coexist together. When either of them is wrong, I step in. Resource guarding is one of those things you can train down, but never really goes away. It usually takes management. At 7 months, 10 months or whatever age the dog is, he is way too young to be an uncontrollable issue. Take him out in the yard, run around, play fetch, tug, anything to tire him out. This needs to be done at least twice a day until you get these issues under control. If he’s not interacting with you or your son, eating, or going potty, he needs to be in his kennel.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I tend to see the "we gave him to the police" the same as "he went to live on a farm upstate".... basically, it's a nice story to tell the kids, but both actually mean the dog was euthanized. Police depts select their dogs carefully. They pay good money for a green dog. Unless the dog has an outstanding pedigree and somehow ended up in a pet home, the dog won't be suitable for police work. With limited exceptions.

Either put in the work as described by other posters, or find him a good home. Don't wait. He's young still, give him a chance!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts