German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I posted a while back about my puppy Levi things have gone from bad to worse he bit my friend and was barking non stop at him a few days later he bit my son Zack on other leg the 2 dogs were fighting and he got in the way I took my son hospital and he was prescribed antibiotics.We got a trainer in who Levi also bit he didn’t do much just overcharged me then the other day my friend offered to help train him she has some experience with dogs unfortunately it all went wrong my son told her not to pull his bed out his mouth she tried to so Levi bit her on both arms it saddens me to say this but she hit him and pushed him into the crate anyway what’s done is done I don’t think I can cope with Levi anymore I’m scared to be honest that he might really hurt someone next time .Had lots of advice from Southend dog training school and joined there Whitts app group if I could afford training classes it wouldn’t be a problem so know I have a 16 year old son crying in his room he is so attached to Levi and has been working really hard with training I don’t know what to do someone suggested I give him to the police force is that a good life for him ?its all getting so stressful and I’m worried about how my son will be if Levi goes 😢

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
German Shepherds in particular will sit in the shelter ignoring any attempts at a relationship because they are waiting for their owners to come and get them. Just how loyal they are. Good vibes coming your way.... I just read this on the forum how can we part with him now he will be waiting for us he might end up in a shelter 😢😢

·
Super Moderator
4,845 Posts
don't bring him to a general shelter. Try and find a German Shepherd Rescue. They can give you better advice. An all purpose shelter won't be able to keep a dog with a bite history or if they do they might pass Levi onto another family who won't be able to handle him. A rescue might be able to work with him, maybe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t know what to do part of me wants to keep him then I think I won’t manage my son is out training him now trying so hard so that I say I will keep him I feel so terrible and irresponsible it’s all my fault

·
Registered
178 Posts
Something is terribly wrong. It sounds like you are making repeated efforts to change how you and your son relate to the dog. Must be very confusing for everyone. Trainers are nice, but your problem seems to be right in your house and how everyone gets along. Introducing more confusion with another person isn't going to help. If you son is so attached to the dog, he should be the one to work with him. One consistent voice. It will take committment on his part to walk Levi, feed him, give him a brushing, be the dispenser of treats and play with him. NO ROUGH PLAY, just throw a ball for him, or a stick, basically just spend time building trust and a relationship with the dog. As far as the dog biting, he's defending himself, dogs are - for the most part - not mean. They bite because they are afraid or someone has taught them biting is how he should deal with frustration and confusion. they bit because in the heat of a confrontation, they will be whatever is in front of them.

I'm sorry it's not working out for your family but a shelter might be the only answer. Is this your first German Shepherd? Perhaps you would be happier with a more docile dog? In a shelter Levi might find someone more experienced and in a better situation. And I'm the one who wrote that quote above and it is true, but with time all the ones we've adopted have accepted us and made their home with us. Duke took a little more than a month to decide we were okay and he'd stay. Ellie would stay with anyone, her behavior was an attitude of doing whatever awful thing she wanted because she was sure we'd just return her to the shelter like all her previous owners. It took a long time just to be able to pet her, but we had her 10 years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes this is our first gsd we have another dog Gucci she is half staff half jack Russell she is lovely and very gentle Levi always barks at her and tries to dominate her I just want to cry every time I think about giving him away I got him a muzzle and keep him on a long lead I just want my son to realise himself that just maybe Levi isn’t suited to our family I feel so stressed at the moment just want to make the right decision for him and the family

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
And this is why impulse buying of animals is bad.
I'm sorry but Levi is now 10 months? You have been repeatedly advised on how to correct these problems. Now you have a very young dog with a bite history and you keep giving him opportunities to practice biting.
Instead of your son crying in his room how about if he gets off his butt and gets serious about this, and instead of you making excuses how about you step up and be an adult.
This dog has no shot in a shelter now. This is on you. If you cannot afford training then watch videos of trainers, reach out to trainers and see what you can figure out.
I'm sorry but I don't know what you want or expect here. You need to train your dog, this isn't going away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only wanted advise and support don’t you think I already feel bad about the decision I made to take him on from a friend who was going to take him to a shelter cause he was hard work also I lost my sister at the same time and thought a puppy would bring us some joy and he was easier when he was younger we have been watching videos and my son is out now training him comments like yours are the reason a lot of dog owners that are struggling don’t reach out for help for fear of being judged. I am free to say what ever I like and have already had 2 understanding and supportive comments

·
Registered
31,571 Posts
Who is the breeder? Do you have a pedigree? How old is this dog?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I only wanted advise and support don’t you think I already feel bad about the decision I made to take him on from a friend who was going to take him to a shelter cause he was hard work also I lost my sister at the same time and thought a puppy would bring us some joy and he was easier when he was younger we have been watching videos and my son is out now training him comments like yours are the reason a lot of dog owners that are struggling don’t reach out for help for fear of being judged. I am free to say what ever I like and have already had 2 understanding and supportive comments
This is what I am talking about! Months ago you were complaining that he was a lot of work and your son wasn't helping. I'm not trying to be mean I am trying to get your attention. You have put this dogs life at risk by making excuses and excusing inexcusable behavior. The understanding and supportive comments clearly aren't helping you, they are enabling you. You need to train the dog. Can you do that or not? If you can commit to training then people can help, but you need to do it.
If getting angry at me helps, I'm good with that. Get mad. And then prove me wrong and fix this problem.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You need to find a trainer experienced in working with dogs with aggression.

This trainer is in the UK, not sure if they are near you, but maybe worth contacting just to see if they can refer you to someone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dog is 7 months old my friend said she got him from her neighbour in Margate he wasn’t really my friend he was my sisters friend I’ve rang him so many times to ask him he keeps saying he will find out but he doesn’t seem to care and now won’t answer my calls my son has some savings and we are thinking of getting a trainer not sure how many sessions he can afford he is a different dog when he is alone most of the problems arise between the 2 dogs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need to find a trainer experienced in working with dogs with aggression.

This trainer is in the UK, not sure if they are near you, but maybe worth contacting just to see if they can refer you to someone.
Thank you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OP, step up the training and follow the advice you have been given. And if your son is healthy in body and mind, get him out of his bedroom and put him to work. Both seem to be spoiled and not held accountable for their behavior. Who wanted this dog?
You are right they are both spoilt he is the youngest of 4
This is what I am talking about! Months ago you were complaining that he was a lot of work and your son wasn't helping. I'm not trying to be mean I am trying to get your attention. You have put this dogs life at risk by making excuses and excusing inexcusable behavior. The understanding and supportive comments clearly aren't helping you, they are enabling you. You need to train the dog. Can you do that or not? If you can commit to training then people can help, but you need to do it.
If getting angry at me helps, I'm good with that. Get mad. And then prove me wrong and fix this problem.
OP, step up the training and follow the advice you have been given. And if your son is healthy in body and mind, get him out of his bedroom and put him to work. Both seem to be spoiled and not held accountable for their behavior. Who wanted this dog?
you are right they are both spoilt my son is the youngest of 4 and I have raised them all by myself no farther in there lives my sister was very sick and we have depression in the family my son has been asking me for a few years now if we could get a gsd so when my sisters friend said he had a gsd puppy who really needed a home I naively said yes I’m not making excuses just saying how it is I’m scared Levi will bite me he doesn’t like it when I correct him I can’t help the way I feel I live in East London

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I actually think you should find this dog a suitable home. Too many ifs here and I don't see a lot of commitment. In the meantime the dog gets more set in its ways. You also need all your time to undo spoiling the kids. If not, that will bite you in the butt too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually think you should find this dog a suitable home. Too many ifs here and I don't see a lot of commitment. In the meantime the dog gets more set in its ways. You also need all your time to undo spoiling the kids. If not, that will bite you in the butt too.
Thanks I didn’t say all my kids were spoilt just the youngest and I admit it we all make mistakes along the way some of you guys on here are very quick to judge you must live perfect happy lives

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Thanks I didn’t say all my kids were spoilt just the youngest and I admit it we all make mistakes along the way some of you guys on here are very quick to judge you must live perfect happy lives
We try to support you based on the information you are giving us. Since it's not what you want to hear, you write this instead.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts