German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m on the fence about taking my 11 mo. old GSD to the local animal shelter today. It is a better than average shelter, very clean & by the book. Before any of the judgmental, holier than thou old biddies on this site start in, just remember that you don’t know anything about my situation, and this does hurt. I have to let the dog go within at least a month. What I’m asking is, does anyone have a better idea than the shelter with this short time frame?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am not going to preach to you, however please try to find a rescue or something of the like.

** article removed by ADMIN. While your attentions are good, the article could be construed as a personal attack**

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Attitude is probably not the best way to get advice here.

I understand that there are some dire situations where a dog needs to be re-homed. However, dumping at the shelter probably isn't the best route to go.

Start with trying to contact a rescue. Some will take owner surrenders, some will not.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
oh my goodness :'c what happened love? i've no suggestions but maybe it would help if we had some background?

i wish you all the best. i know i've often thought of rehoming Zeeva or returning her to her breeder. certain dogs can be a PITA but as much as it hurts, you do have to live with the decision....

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I can't imagine being in your shoes, for whatever reason this would have to be a difficult decision. Does your dog have issues with other dogs,animals or kids? Is there a reason that would make her difficult to adopt out?

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
I don't know your circumstance, but if I felt I had to give up my dog ASAP, I would:

Call my breeder
Call rescue
Go to my local dog clubs (obed/show/agility, etc) and see if anyone can help

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I know someone in the UP who might be interested. I will have to contact him.

In the mean time please post how your dog gets along with other animals and people in general.

What is his personality and temperament like?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Please don't bring your dog to the shelter! If they run out of room, he could get put to sleep, if he is scared and growls he could get put to sleep, if he sneezes, he could get put to sleep.

Find a rescue as other people have suggested and you could also try to rehome him on your own. Just make sure he is neutered and that you do a home check and check references. Sometimes a rescue that is full will courtesy post for you.

·
Banned
377 Posts
First you said you are thinking about bringing him today, then you said you have a month.
Please take your time and evaluate the different pieces of advice you get here.
You may read something that works for both you and your dog.
You can ignore any advice you don't care for without getting into any
arguments or justification.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Please don't take the dog to a shelter. Most shelters will put down owner surrenders first. There is a good chance they won't even try to find him a home. The moment you drop him off he will be out of time. He would have a better chance if you tied him up outside a walmart with a sign saying free dog, not actually suggesting you do that.

I know that with my Ammo I signed a contract saying if for any reason I couldn't keep him I had to call her and she would find him a new home. Try the breeder. If that doesn't work put an add on craigslist. Please be careful though and make sure to check out check out the person wanting to adopt.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
If you're in the UP...contact "White Paws GSD Rescue" they're out of Green Bay, WI and will try to help you out.

My advice would be, hold on to your dog for a few more weeks, and try to find it a home. Post on this forum about the dog and see what responses you get. Someone, somewhere, will have a connection that might be interested.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Put flyers up in the neighborhood parks and on Craigslist. My neighbor couldn't keep her gorgeous dogs. That's how I ended up with Dex. I asked around at work and found homes for 2 more. Don't give up. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Have you contacted GSD rescues in MI? Can you tell us about the dog?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I spoke with my friend in the UP. He is not able to take her.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I might be able to help but I need information....age of dog, neutered, reason for giving up (NOT going to judge just need to know if there are behavioral issues with the dog or it is because of other circumstance), training, OK with other dogs, cats, kids, etc....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would never dump my dog or cat in that place now . I didn't think it took that soon to get rid of an animal...... we had to put down 2 of our dogs some time ago and that was terrible..felt like sh!t but they where old and sick.

I really hope those tech quit there jobs and never do that ever again. and yes that brang a tear to my eyes....

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
If you don't want to publicly post information about yourself and your situation, don't be afraid to PM those members that are offering help with the info. The offers for help are genuine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts