German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know how those of you who that have multiple pets manage to give them attention? I always try to take my dogs out individually for walks/training/play time. As far as my cats go I spend some time having them chase the laser light or whatever their favorite toy is at the moment. I think a lot of people forget that just because animals get along as a pack,doesn't mean that they don't need to have us to themselves sometimes:).

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
We split up the dogs. We have 4 in our room @ night, 3 on the bed. During that time, they get "snuggle" time.
Our 17yr. old daughter has 3 in her room - GSD in the crate, 2 dogs on her bed. Well, 3 dogs now on her bed, because our son moved out :(

Then one of our own and 2 fosters sleep in the front room. They get snuggles during the day and attention but our youngest Doxie is the worst and will get into things when bored and "lonesome" and we know we need to pay more attention to her.

When we watch TV in the evening, everyone can cuddle where-ever there is a spot :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I take my three outside individually most of the time, sometimes I take two and then come back for one and I rotate them(I don't have a yard) For training I work all three together then individually. The GSD puppy goes to as many places as I can take her for socialization, but I also rotate dogs if I'm running just a quick errand. When I go to sleep, they are all with me and when I'm just relaxing they are all with me. Daily I'll take one of them in the bedroom with me and spend individual time with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 3 Shepherds. The most recent is my 3.5 month old. Within a week of bringing Cash home, I realized I was in a bind of trying to figure out how to figure out who goes where and does what with me and at which time. *ugh!!

Odin my oldest. He is my shadow no matter what. He saved my life when someone broke into my house and tried stabbing me. And ever since he has insisted to be at my side at all costs. Luckily for me he doesn't require much supervision off leash, so I can take one of the other dogs (or both) and leave Odin to walk ahead. The pup, Cash is in training mode. He has to come with me (and Odin) often to learn everything I and Odin have to offer.

I then have the 1 year old, Atticus (odin's son) who is currently getting the short end of the stick. The poor guy. But he is so well behaved for his age that people are shocked to hear how old he is. (big part of that has to do with him always looking up to odin who is trained so amazing it's like im talking to a human trapped in a dogs body)

They all play in the yard with me. Odin and Atticus tend to play together playing tug of war with whatever they can find which allows me to teach the pup new things and play one on one with him while stealing the ball from the other two to toss it for them.

I dont think any of them feel left out and all are very affectionate just the same as it was with one and two dogs. So I must be doing something right.

So basically i give one on one with them at times and then tend to take all 3 of them out together whenever I go somewhere.

*** sorry I rambled. I still feel I'm unorganized with them and haven't found a proper routine with the 3 of them yet ...

hahahaha

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
They all get group play time but they all get individual play and attention time too :)

Koda sleeps on the bed with me once a week or so, Kenai sleeps on the floor by my bed nightly, the cat sleeps on my bed nightly and the puppy goes to 4-H and obedience class.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Sometimes you just need to complete the needs of your individual pets and not over dramatize what YOU think what attention the pet needs.

I have horses, dogs & cats. The horses really couldn't care less how much time I spend with them, as long as I'm there to feed at 4:30 a.m. and again by 6:00 p.m. They each (3) get groomed while they eat if I'm short on time. I might work/ride one in the evening.

Cats are feral barn cats. They seem to enjoy me talking to them. They do follow me around while I'm doing barn chores (if the dogs aren't there).

I have four (4) dogs. Each one requires a specific part of me. My older Golden enjoys his alone time, however I make sure I give him some type of loving every evening.

My GSD is my shadow. He'll be three in September and very well behaved. He isn't a lot of work for me, so I can have him with me when I'm working in the yard, washing vehicles, etc. or working one horse. He enjoys spending time with me. I can take him anywhere and although he isn't a social dog, he is well behaved.

My 5 month old Blue Lacy is a crack puppy and requires my full attention when he's with me. If we're in the house I have to keep an eye on him, if I'm outside I'm doing things 'around' him. I don't take him (yet) to friends houses etc. He requires much of my time as he is still in the learning stages.

My Mini Doxie isn't an outside dog. She doesn't like the heat. She doesn't like the water. She doesn't like getting dirty. She is a couch potatoe. She sits on my lap while I'm at the computer. She sleeps in my bed. She likes to cuddle. So she is my 'down time' dog.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I haven't mastered this yet. The one getting left out is poor Phinneas. Kya is just my shadow and is not an attention hog so she's content to just be by me. Phin and Milla constantly try to get my attention. The nice thing is I have "our" thing with each of them. Milla loves fetch while my other two try to figure out why I'm dumb enough to throw a ball I have to go get.

Kya gets to go to the barn and canoeing right now. Milla will eventually have to learn to be good around the horses so that I can take her trail riding. Kya also gets her own walk alone because she is old and it's more of a lumber.

Phinneas gets to go running with me! He loves this and for being a small dog is a great running buddy. This too will be split up as Milla gets older.

Then there is group play time. Or group walks.

I feel that Phin probably does get shafted a little because he was the "baby" before Milla and now I spend a lot of time on her training. I try to do something with each of them alone everyday.

There's no magic formula. You just try to give everyone enough love and attention.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I only have two GSDs, and I work from home, so it's not too difficult to be sure everyone gets individual attention. Most of our playing in the yard is with them together, but they do get separate training daily. They each get an individual "adventure" every week (usually a day hike or swimming trip). Also, they both have activities that I focus on more for one than the other. Kaylee is my tracking dog-- she loves it, and it's the thing that we do together as often as possible. Sam is my car riding boy-- if I'm going to the post office or skating rink, he generally gets to come along and we stop for playing somewhere. He's very stable and will go into the skating rink with me to watch, while Kaylee hates the noise there.

The cats rule the upstairs, so I do most of my playing and grooming with them after the dogs are in bed. As long as I feed them, they don't seem to care much.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It's all a matter of what the dog needs, Delgado needs lots of playtime, and Jazzy needs lots of snuggle time. They each get one on one time and together time and it seems to work

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is a problem for me. 10yr M retired and slowing down and a 2 1/2 yr F that bounces off the walls. We walk at the park together, after 1/2 hr M is lagging behind, but if I do anything w/ F he's a screamer, never mind he's tired from the walk.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I live in an apartment building so I turn tasks into one-on-one time. For example, if I take my recycling downstairs, I'll bring one of them. If I go to the tuck shop in the basement, I'll bring one of them with me. It's short I know, but they're so happy to be alone with me. Sometimes I'll take just one and we'll go to Dairy Queen and I'll buy him/her a cone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have two, and the Corgi does not like other dogs whatsoever. They have to always be separated while in the house or playing but they do fine on walks/hikes together. The Shepherd doesn't really care too much about him. He's extremely fearful towards large dogs and it follows through as aggression. I have decided it's not worth it to put him through the training.

They each get house time split between the day. I do obedience with each of them every day, and do some sort of other exercise (walk, fetch, etc) with each of them every day. I track them both as well.

They each get their time. I never understood how others with more dogs do it! You guys rule.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Coke is so low-energy he doesn't get much. DH takes him on a walk a few times a week.

My GSDs are pretty easy because they both do the same activities. So take flyball for example, practice is 6:30-9:30. Whether I have no dogs or four dogs we make pairs or teams so it always takes the same amount of time, so right now training two dogs doesn't take any more time it's just more work for me mentally and physically. The same goes for Schutzhund, I'm there the whole time anyway and since I have a dog I already titled I'm allowed to work a second dog. When I train at home usually my dogs take two turns, so one dog rests while the other works and then they trade places. When I do special stuff I just try to be fair. Nikon has been spending full days free in the house lately so last night I took Pan for a short walk to the ice cream shop and got him ice cream. I don't always bring all the dogs every time, so I just rotate who gets to come along.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
I have 9 dogs.

Winnie and Tazer - both 13 yrs old - just want to lay in the sun, follow scent trails in our back yard, eat and sleep.

Mauser - the GSD - lives for swimming and fetching. When I can I take him to the lakefront to swim. In our back yard (2 acres) he has his pool.

When Mauser and I play fetch with his Jolly Ball it also includes Spike, CJ and Wasabi (3 of my Cresteds). They like to play with him by grabbing the long tie I have on the handle of the JB and tug on it the whole time he's bringing it back to me.

Kaynya - my oldest Crested - seeks us out for more individual time. Spike, Fuego and the puppies are ok with just the occasional 'me & them' time.

I think it all depends on the dog.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Geez Lauri, you've got a lot of critters. You be sure to let me know if you ever get a super natural message to start building an arc.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coke is so low-energy he doesn't get much. DH takes him on a walk a few times a week.

My GSDs are pretty easy because they both do the same activities. So take flyball for example, practice is 6:30-9:30. Whether I have no dogs or four dogs we make pairs or teams so it always takes the same amount of time, so right now training two dogs doesn't take any more time it's just more work for me mentally and physically. The same goes for Schutzhund, I'm there the whole time anyway and since I have a dog I already titled I'm allowed to work a second dog. When I train at home usually my dogs take two turns, so one dog rests while the other works and then they trade places. When I do special stuff I just try to be fair. Nikon has been spending full days free in the house lately so last night I took Pan for a short walk to the ice cream shop and got him ice cream. I don't always bring all the dogs every time, so I just rotate who gets to come along.

It's funny you have a dog named Coke because I had a GSD named Pepsi when I was in High School.

I think so many people forget to or simply don't want to spend individual time with their dogs.The one on one time is very important not only with training,but I also think it helps with the bonding.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hmm. 3 dogs, Wendy the GSD gets the most attention with training and socializing ( she is very shy right now).

The 6 month old Miniature Pinscher Gidget is getting a lot of lap time and play time with me while Wendy naps or plays with the one of the kids.

Chachi and Bonnie are parrots, and they love to just hang out and preen me and let me preen them while I watch TV.

Delilah and Tinkerbell are cats.... when they want love, they get love... nuff said!

Bailey - the chocolate lab - is my husbands dog, and I don't pay a lot of attention to her, because after my 2 dogs, 2 birds, 2 cats and 2 kids - she has a daddy and doesn't need me. She is his responsibility - I feed her, walk her and make sure she is healthy, but my time is precious and she is just not my dog!

·
Registered
14,028 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,016 Posts
When Halo was younger and in training classes Keefer definitely got the short end of the stick. That's just how it had to be, so he dealt with it. But at times when I couldn't directly supervise her and she wasn't completely housebroken or reliable about not chewing stuff, I could put her away in the crate or the garage pen and he got house time with us.

Now that we're in flyball and have practice most Sundays, I'm gone with Halo for around 6 hours. For tournaments I'm gone all weekend, as much as 12 hours both days. Tom will sometimes take Keef to visit his mom in assisted living, and on my Fridays off I'll take him for a long hike, just the two of us. Today we'll probably do 6+ miles, while Halo stays home.

It's not always going to be completely equal, but I do think it's important for each of them to have some alone time with each of us, where they don't have to compete with the other dog for our attention.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts