German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever give dog or cat needles? It is much more easy then giving human? You never have to get it in a vien or anything?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
What are you giving via needles? Just as with human drugs, some drugs require the needle to go through to the muscle, while others can be given just under the skin, and still others may have to be given intravenously.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
Allergy shots? They probably go in the muscle. Ask your vet.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We had to give daily shots to our late diabetic pup. All we had to do was pinch some loose skin and shoot it right under. Very easy, very quick.

We had to give one of our cats IV fluids after getting a sock he had eaten removed, that was a bit harder, but easy enough for the vet to teach my dad pretty fast.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I have to give my IBD cat b12 shots, it's very easy and I'd much rather do that then an oral medication(at least for a cat). I just pull up some loose skin near his shoulder blades and put the needle in very quickly, it pops in pretty easily and is over very quick and he doesn't even react. Now giving him his predlizone is a different story. :help:

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I was given oxytocin once. The vet showed me how, and then I took the bitch home and gave her the last one. Learn something new all the time, but I don't like giving them shots.

My parents started giving insulin to Kitty before she passed. They managed it without any problem. But diabetic kitties are hard to maintain, as they have to eat and it is hard to make a cat that is not feeling good eat.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Have given hundreds in my job as a vet tech to both small and large animals.
In the practice we were at vet techs did most blood draws, placing animals on i/v fluids and treatments of antibiotics etc. You get used to it.....I loved putting in catheters etc.....was a really good skill to learn.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sparra what is the hardest to do with your hands? in the vet tech? i am in school right now. Do you need perfect hands? i imagine many vet techs are nervious not knowing the animals but still do it regardless?

My first is starting with my own dog allergy shots not part of my prgram but practice thank god, no one to restrain her either high drive, but its also my own so very easy no nerou, mmy hands shake a bit tho sometimes not sure why.

I am talking all needles here because eventually to pass the exam everything must be done but i start off with learning my own dog. taking home the needles which will be easy.

Just curious what else to expect? When i finish i did not want to work in a vet clinic though i wanted to work with wildlife, reptiles, and birds. Zoo or in field. Research or care. Maybe have my own business eventually. Was gonna take a 2 day wildlife rehab course for the permit also here. School already started though.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Giving dogs/cats sub-cutaneous injections is relatively easy (under the skin) you don't really need steady hands....as in it wouldn't matter if your hands were shaking a bit from nerves.....same with intra-muscular injections.
I/v injections or blood draws do require a steady hand but you will not learn these until you are fully comfortable with other injections....at least that is how it is over here. Some vets over here will not let vet techs do i/v things but we worked in a busy practice where we were all taught how to do it and most vet techs were better at it than the vets.
I/v's in birds/reptiles etc are very difficult as the veins are so small......never did anything like that but most wildlife places over here I think the vets tend to do them anyway as it is quite a specialized kind of thing.
Is this what you meant??

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have 'shot' all my dogs with varying medicines at one point or another.

It's not hard if you have a dog who is cooperative, actually I think it's easier to do your own dogs in their own environment.

I've honestly never had a problem doing my own dogs by myself..

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes thanks sparra exactly what i meant, yeah for the iv I guess the vet may do it all, I do get a license as my school is fully fully accredited school, not sure what exact type of stuff is to be expected it seems to vary from job to job. Some techs want to be ony in surgery. We have vet asistants here also which is not the same as vet techs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts