German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male german shepherd who is a year old now. He has been aggressive since we got him as a puppy. We have paid for about 3 sessions of private training with him an he has gotten a lot better but still really mean to me. He listens to my husband but will even bite him if my husband tries to put him in his cage. He is in the military an I have been left alone with the dog an feel like I can controll him an he is controlling my life. I can't discipline the dog or he will show his teeth at me an try to bite me. When I leave for work he acts sad but then I went up to the window to say bye an he showed his teeth an acted like he wanted to attack me. He recently chased after a little girl an the cops were called. I fear that one day he will really hurt someone an my husband dosent want to get rid of him. I have no idea what to do this dog is too strong an crazy for me I sprained my ankle tonight an got a bloody elbow from him running into me. Does it sound like there's hope for this dog to get better or once a mean dog always a mean dog?

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
He needs a strong handler that isn't intimidated by him. Is the private trainer you are working with versed in this type temperament? If you don't think you can handle him, best to get an eval and see if he can be placed with a better match. In the meantime, getting him use to wearing a muzzle will be the safest for all.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

I am sure a lot of people with more expertise than me will chime in. But...

It would be a lot easier to give advice and feedback if you elaborated a bit more on what a typical day-in-the-life of you and the dog is like as well as specific training techniques you have used to date, etc...

·
Registered
457 Posts
What did your trainer say with regard to a prognosis?

Aggression comes in so many forms that no one online will be able to give you advice with regard to that.

But if you are not comfortable then this will certainly not end well. Perhaps getting him conditioned to a muzzle would be a good idea while you decide what to do with the dog.

I have heard of situations that were described as similar to yours where the dog went to another home with experience or back to the breeder and the dog ended up not having any problems so it can depend on the experience of the people involved sometimes.

Where did you get this dog from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trainer said he was just a nervous dog and that he wasn't socialized well as a puppy. We got him from a breeder an also We got him a dogtra training collar to help him an it does help but lately it dosent seem to phase him when he does something bad. He snaps at me daily he dosent listen to me at all an he pretty much gets to rule the house an do whatever he wants because he will bite me and show his teeth if I try to put him in his cage or make him leave the room. He knows I'm scared of him he's 100lbs an stronger then me an even if I act like I am in controll he dosent care. I don't understand why he's so mean all I try to do is love him an he's just mean.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am not sure how exactly you are using the e collar or what methods you used to introduce it but I would recommend you do not use it until things get sorted out with regard to the aggression.

I would find a new trainer that will do an assessment of his behavior and the situation. You sound like you are about done and in that situation the trainer really needs to discuss what they think it will take to change the behavior, whether they think you and your family are capable of this and talk about the chances of re-homing the dog if needed and of course how you feel about this.

When he bites does the break skin?

I would also contact the breeder. Was there any type of contract or anything about returning the dog to the breeder if for any reason you could not keep him.

Do you have a leash on him at all times in the house when you are home? Or how do you manage him when he growls at you or tries to bite?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well when my husband is home he takes the dog with him everywhere an takes him on hikes an plays with him all the time we would take him to the dog park once a week and were always giving him treats an penut butter. But our backyard isn't fenced an after the cops were called cause of him chasing the little girl I can't take the risk of him going off our property so I haven't taken him outside an I let him go in the dog run which is pretty big.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most of the time he does not break sin when he bites but has sometimes. Also I don't keep a leash on him in the house so when he tries to bite or growl I just use the low setting on the collar.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What kind of exercise and/or positive engagement with you/others in the family does the dog get?
I'm no expert, but this is an exellent question. ^

Does the dog act out like your describing during your private lesson? If so, how or what does the instructor do to correct the dog? Has the dog been this way since when? What commands does the dog know now? My amateur suggestion would be to look at a different trainer. I would call and talk to some different ones and ask for references if possible. years of experience, accomplishments on training ect. Just to make sure they know what they are doing. My dog trainer has vast experience and a good number of years doing this. She had an apprentice shadowing for our first four sessions in training. Then she went on her own. There was a vast difference between our regular trainer and her trainee. Nothing against her trainee, she just didn't have as much experience as our regular trainer.

Just a personal observation. Not all trainers are created equal.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Sounds like you've got a dog that was never properly trained, that doesn't respect you as it's handler, and that you seem to fear - and rightfully so. That's pretty much a recipe for disaster.

You really either need to get another professional trainer in there that has experience with this breed and behavior or you need to find a proper home for this dog. Something has to change.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
megs90, your dog is young and exuberant. From your posts, I doubt he is being "mean," more likely the mouthing is a mix of attention seeking and frustration.

I am not saying that the mouthing behavior is not problematic. But, based on what you have described, the methods you are using are probably only making it worse. It doesn't sound like you are working on modeling the behaviors you want... only punishing ones that bother you.

PM Lou Castle on this forum. He would probably offer a lot of great advice on proper use of e-collars!

In the end, if your household circumstances do not allow you to spend the time and energy needed to make your dog a good canine citizen then please consult with folks in rescue about options for re-homing.

Whatever you do, do not just say, "he's mean", and be gone with him.... to the pound, to the vet to be PTS, etc.... Based on what you have described, I would bet that this dog would do great in another home that has a bit more experience with the breed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would not use the e collar to correct displays of aggression. Having a leash on him would be much safer and I like to use the British or Mendota style slip leads. Having this type of leash on can keep you safe if he ever does try to bite you.

Of course it is hard to get a proper impression over the internet but I really do not like the situation you are in with this dog.

Are you at the point where you are considering not keeping the dog?

Based on what you say about his biting I think re homing to an experienced home would be the best option for him. I certainly do not feel he is without hope from what you say. People can easily get in over their heads with certain dogs. The best way to go about that would be through the breeder. Hopefully they were not a BYB.

If you say where you live perhaps someone could recommend a trainer that could do an assessment.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Your dog needs to learn how to act correctly on leash before you can work on off leash stuff with an e-collar.

First build a bond with your dog. That is the most important part of training. You don't want to teach the dog to fear you... you want him to respect you, so you can work together as a team. That's not going to happen overnight and it's going to take a lot of effort, time, and consistency on your part.

Based on the way you're describing your situation, it sounds like you really need some outside help from someone with experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
megs90, your dog is young and exuberant. From your posts, I doubt he is being "mean," more likely the mouthing is a mix of attention seeking and frustration.

I am not saying that the mouthing behavior is not problematic. But, based on what you have described, the methods you are using are probably only making it worse. It doesn't sound like you are working on modeling the behaviors you want... only punishing ones that bother you.

PM Lou Castle on this forum. He would probably offer a lot of great advice on proper use of e-collars!

In the end, if your household circumstances do not allow you to spend the time and energy needed to make your dog a good canine citizen then please consult with folks in rescue about options for re-homing.

Whatever you do, do not just say, "he's mean", and be gone with him.... to the pound, to the vet to be PTS, etc.... Based on what you have described, I would bet that this dog would do great in another home that has a bit more experience with the breed.
I think you are right about the mouthing thing. He does want attention 24 7 but for example I'm laying in bed he jumps up acts like he wants to culdle then shows his teeth an bites my hand for no reason at all

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would talk to your breeder, if you think you can handle him, and it sounds like you are afraid of him. I would return him to the breeder or ask your trainer if they, or anyone they know would be interested in adopting him..

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I would talk to your breeder, if you think you can handle him, and it sounds like you are afraid of him. I would return him to the breeder or ask your trainer if they, or anyone they know would be interested in adopting him..
I agree with this 100% and quick.:eek: As long as he sense's you are afraid of him, it will only get worse.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
You have all these issues and had only three training classes with the dog?

If that dog has so many issues, I'd be going to training classes on a weekly basis.

Where did the dog come from? Was it from a working line breeder?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with this 100% and quick.:eek: As long as he sense's you are afraid of him, it will only get worse.
I totally agree. Have you ever watched The Dog Whisperer? Your dog needs to know who the pack leader is and this can be done in a kind and calm manner with proper care and time. Have faith! I also had a very aggressive male Shepherd once. With weekly training for 3 months (held after regular puppy class), socialization with other dogs and lots of time...I had a sweet dog for over 10 years. Hang in there.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
The trainer said he was just a nervous dog and that he wasn't socialized well as a puppy. We got him from a breeder an also We got him a dogtra training collar to help him an it does help but lately it dosent seem to phase him when he does something bad.

He snaps at me daily he dosent listen to me at all an he pretty much gets to rule the house an do whatever he wants because he will bite me and show his teeth if I try to put him in his cage or make him leave the room.
He knows I'm scared of him he's 100lbs an stronger then me an even if I act like I am in controll he dosent care. I don't understand why he's so mean all I try to do is love him an he's just mean.

Well when my husband is home he takes the dog with him everywhere an takes him on hikes an plays with him all the time we would take him to the dog park once a week and were always giving him treats an penut butter.
But our backyard isn't fenced an after the cops were called cause of him chasing the little girl I can't take the risk of him going off our property so I haven't taken him outside an I let him go in the dog run which is pretty big.
I'm interested in the dogs lines....a well bred stable dog will be of good temperament regardless of lack of socialization. Are you in contact with his breeder?
I'd stop the dog park, and work on NILIF.
There are so many things you can begin to do TODAY to get him in a different mind set.

Not sure your location, but there are several good trainers that may be of help. If the one you went to is good, keep up with it...otherwise find another. Don't quit if you are keeping him. And don't let this go on and on, it isn't fair to anyone.

Hopefully you've been trained to work with an ecollar so the corrections are timed right and you are being fair to him with the corrections. What setting is it on?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts