German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hear your absolute best excuse for your dog having an oops litter, bonus points if you own both dogs.

It just seems to me like 99% of "oops" litters should not have been surprises at all. There are exceptions to everything, of course, and I want to hear the best ones you've got.

I think I've heard of two that I had to agree were true "oops" litters.

1) My grandfather's bitch was in heat when he went out to work cattle, so he locked her in the shed until they were done. A neighbor's bulldog literally CHEWED through the wooden walls of the shed and bred her.

2) I saw one on this board at one point where someone adopted a bitch that the breeder of their first dog had intended to incorporate into their breeding program, but none of the breedings ever took, so the breeder rehomed her. She got pregnant shortly thereafter. ( I remember the situation, but not the details. Still, it made sense to me)

So....fire away! What great excuses do you have?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not our dogs but, we rescued a Doberman out in Oklahoma.
She was our family member for 2 yrs. WE had to re home her after she repeatedly attacked our older male Doberman..

She came from a liter of 6. All of them were placed in a shelter.
The husband and wife were divorcing, so to spite the wife,
The husband let the male "have at it" with the female while the wife was out of the house.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My male is intact. Lately he has been behaving poorly. It was obvious that he needed to 'get some' to correct those behaviorial issues.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Oh, or my favorite, from all my years in the veterinary/dog business.

"I honestly didn't realize I had a boy and a girl. We thought they were both boys. They've got such long hair, I guess I never noticed." (Said dogs were named Bart and Ginger)

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Not me, but a client at my clinic was surprised her male bred her female because she had " those dog panties on"

Have known someone whose make broke a crate and chewed through a door to get the female.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My male is intact. Lately he has been behaving poorly. It was obvious that he needed to 'get some' to correct those behaviorial issues.
This one is wonderful.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
One excuse that I would consider legitimate is when someone first adopts a female and is told the dog is spayed when she isn't, and the dog becomes pregnant before the owner experiences a heat and realizes she isn't spayed. I don't believe most people x-ray or ultrasound their females when they adopt them, and that's really the only sure way to know.

I find very, very few oop's litter cases to be legitimate. In most cases the owner knows the dog was bred and could have done an emergency spay.

Personally I think having your dog accidentally bred and then going "well I'll just let her have a litter" instead of doing an emergency spay doesn't make it an oops litter, it makes it an oops breeding and an intentional litter.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
A co-worker of mine showed me pictures of where her male dog chewed/dug through a door and a wall to get at her intact female. She had PB Rotties and she wanted to wait a heat to spay the female. The male was in a locked bedroom and the female was in a laundry room with a metal door. The dog went through the bedroom door and through the laundry room wall to get at the female. I was absolutely amazed at the thought that a male dog would do ANYTHING just to get at a female in heat.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
"I want my girl to experience the joys of motherhood."

"I love both my dogs and I wanted to have a puppy from them."

"Everyone says my dogs are so beautiful I decided to have a litter so that they can have beautiful dogs too."

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I knew a breeder, believe they are legitimate from their talk and previous history/experience with the breed, but never knew their dogs personally. Had a dog scale an 8 foot chain link kennel fence (on a COVERED kennel/run), find a tiny defect in the corner, rip through it, and then breed a female through her chain link run! How surprised was she when she saw the dogs tied through the fence, one on either side

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My neighbors bought bro/sis labs. They were fully planning on having them spayed/neutered. Female went into heat at six months, they had no idea, and the male bred her. They had no idea that a female could not only go into heat before a year, but get pregnant before a year, or that the male could mate before a year.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"I want my girl to experience the joys of motherhood."

"I love both my dogs and I wanted to have a puppy from them."

"Everyone says my dogs are so beautiful I decided to have a litter so that they can have beautiful dogs too."
These aren't really "oops litter" excuses...they're common enough excuses for intentional litters, though.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
My Luka was from an "oops" breeding. The female was there to be bred, but not by the male that got to her. Apparently, he climbed a tree to get into the female's kennel. I think he was right around a year of age at the time, so hadn't been OFA'd, titled, or anything yet.

Though that litter wasn't planned, it was a very nice breeding on paper and the whole litter turned out to be spectacular. So it was a bit of a serendipitous "oops".

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
hahaha considering Shasta is from an "oops" litter. . . "there was a wall between them. we didn't know he would go through a wall and a couch to get to her!" Shasta's dad was in the garage and mom was in the house. Dad chewed through a wall and made his way through their couch to get to mom. Since Shasta is here, I'd say dad won.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts