German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had Geiger for 3 days now, but I'm concerned about her poop. She's 7.5 weeks, and eating the same food she had at the Breeder's (Timberwolf Organics chicken). When we feed her, 1/2 cup three times a day, she only eats about half of it. We take her out about 30 min. after feeding, and she won't go. Last night, she finally had a poop at 1:30 a.m. after her 5:00 p.m. dinner.

Also, her poop is getting progressively more runny. It hasn't been solid at all yet, going from pudding to total liquid this morning. Is she just having a sensitive stomach due to all the change in her life, or is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
227 Posts
After 3 days I would recomend a visit to the vet. It is good to have the vet check out a new puppy anyway.. Having said that people often forget that it is not just the food that can cause an upset stomach, but also the change in water. People who travel w/ their dogs to new places will notice an adjustment period....

·
Registered
339 Posts
I actually just went through this with our pup. His poop was soft and turned to water once or twice (2nd or 3rd day at home). I thought it was because I was switching his food to our food (Canidea) too quickly- basicly because he kept on stealing it from my other dogs! As soon as I saw watery I was very worried. The breeder suggested I take a poop sample to the vet instead of the pup. I thought that was a great idea so my pup would not pick up any illnesses while at the vet since he has only had two sets of shots! The tests came back all clear. Adding canned pumpkin to his food quickly got him back to regular and he loved it so much that now I give it to him in a kong for a treat. I have started mixing foods again and so far so good. Now I think it might of actaully been a combination of everything being new to him and also that I gave him a few zukes natural treats. Now for treats I only use kibble and at his 1st puppy class yesterday I used cheese and his tummy is fine!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ollie for recommending calling the vet - I did that yesterday afternoon, he said to come in with a stool sample, and it turns out she has coccidia. So, we got some meds to help, (which she has taken like a trooper), and today things are firming up. Feeling better about things here, and appreciative of the advice on this board

1 - 4 of 4 Posts