German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted Ava 11 weeks ago today from a local humane society. My gf's issue is she's being woke up at night due to the dog chasing the cat and they get quite rambunctious. She gave me an ultimatum today that it was Ava or her. We have been slowly working with her on various behaviors she may have picked up at the shelter. But she does chase the cat and it does get very loud. I was hoping to avoid kenneling her at night since she is in the kennel during the day.
Live in a Iron River, Wis but work in Duluth, Minn about 40 miles away. So it is very difficult to find trainers to work with our schedule. What do some of you do stop bad behavior? She does not respond to my aggressive voice or a light tap on the nose when she engages in bad behavior. Do any of you kennel your GS at night? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
We adopted Ava 11 weeks ago today from a local humane society. My gf's issue is she's being woke up at night due to the dog chasing the cat and they get quite rambunctious. She gave me an ultimatum today that it was Ava or her. We have been slowly working with her on various behaviors she may have picked up at the shelter. But she does chase the cat and it does get very loud. I was hoping to avoid kenneling her at night since she is in the kennel during the day.
Live in a Iron River, Wis but work in Duluth, Minn about 40 miles away. So it is very difficult to find trainers to work with our schedule. What do some of you do stop bad behavior? She does not respond to my aggressive voice or a light tap on the nose when she engages in bad behavior. Do any of you kennel your GS at night? Any thoughts?
Can you put a gate up and keep the dog in the room? I'm thinking the cat will most likely stay out of the room if the dog is in there. Or shut the door with the dog in there? Your girlfriend every have any dogs before, rescue dogs? This is definitely not a reason to get rid of a dog. Dogs take time to train and get used to a routine and they really shouldn't be bounced around from place to place. I can honestly say if my boyfriend gave me an ultimatum between him and my dog, I would rather enjoy being single:D

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Put the cat up, instead of the dog? I put my cat in a spare bedroom at night, otherwise my shepherds would chase her around all night long. I would certainly give that a try. It works for me.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would close the door with the dog in the bedroom and the cat in the rest of the house. Cats that I've had never did well being locked in a room, but the dogs would rather be with us at night.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Something has to be done to keep the dog away from the cat. If you continue to let him chase the cat, he might kill it.
I got my dog at eight weeks thinking that we could make it work. So far, the only thing that has worked is having the cat sleep in the guest room at night.
You can't train him to stay away from the cat if he's allowed to run around unsupervised with it.
I'm sorry to hear about the girlfriend's ultimatum.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
create her at night. Make sure that she gets plenty of exercise after you come home and before bed. Work with training her and get her mind worn out.
That will have double good effects of keeping her quieter at night and making her less likely to chase the cat in general

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
This is the OP's first post on this forum. I would suggest leaving the relationship alone and offering help on the cat/dog situation.

Not a good greeting to a new person IMO.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
This is the OP's first post on this forum. I would suggest leaving the relationship alone and offering help on the cat/dog situation.

Not a good greeting to a new person IMO.

what a crumby spoiler post :mad: :smirk:.

how many posts does he get before we are free to say whats on more than one mind apparently.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
How old is she?

Crate her at night. She obviously is not ready to have free rein.

You could look into Doggie Day care during the day so she's not crated day and night.

You could shut the cat out of the room at night and keep Ava in.

You could shut Ava in a larger room at night to sleep or during the day.

You could have a dog walker come in during the day to take her out and exercise her.

·
Registered
745 Posts
create her at night. Make sure that she gets plenty of exercise after you come home and before bed. Work with training her and get her mind worn out.
That will have double good effects of keeping her quieter at night and making her less likely to chase the cat in general
Could apply to puppy *removed* :p

Seriously though, like this says its a simple management issue.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when the dog is chasing the cat are they playing? is the cat running
back and forth like she wants to be chased as opposed to trying
to get away? i would either crate the dog at night or put the dog in
the bedroom with me and close the door.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts