German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning on getting a puppy this fall. We are trying to decide if a female or male would work best in our house. Right now, our household consists of my husband, our two sons, our two male cats, and me (the one and only girl).

Should we get a female to balance things out? Or would another boy in the house be better? Or does it not matter? I don't mind being the only girl. I just don't know if one gender would work better for us since we are mostly boys.

Part of me wants a girl just because. But another part of me wants a boy because I have fallen in love with how big they are.

Tell me what you think....

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it matters. It's personal preference. Your best bet is to find a breeder that you trust, be honest about your home life, and your goals with the dog and let them pick the puppy that us best for your family.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am the only girl too (but bringing home a female in about a week!). I also have two sons, a husband, and a male GSD. He has been a great dog. He is very clingy and loving, he is great with the kids. He follows me everywhere and makes a fuss if he feels 'left out'. He is alert and lets us know if someone comes to the door, he's at the top of the standard at 26 inches at the shoulder and 87 lbs, he's got a big head too which I love (hehe). He is pretty much everything I hoped he would be. I originally wanted a female too, well for obvious reasons! But I am really happy with him, and this will be my first girl, so we will see how this turns out :) I have heard that males are more lovey-dovey and females are more independent. We will see what others have to say.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well I don't think it matters either. if you want big you can find plenty of large females as well :)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have a female and a male and personally I don't think it matters as well, I agree with gsdsar have the breeder that you trust to help you decide what puppy best suits your family ... While boys tend to be bigger there are also plenty of females that are close in size ..

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Honestly, not having any other dogs in your house, its a matter of your personal preference. I've had ONE male GSD mix and all the other dogs that have come into our home either as permanent residents or fosters have been females. My 3 year old GSD is female. She stays close inside, always where she can jump up and follow me if I get up. She's 75lbs. Couldn't tell you how tall she is. She's not real cuddly but she will hang out on the couch next to me or lay in bed with me once my husband gets up for work.

I have a 12, almost 13 week old male. I've wanted a male for a very long time now. Honestly, I'm so burnt out on females. Plus, I'd rather have to neuter a male than spay a female. Bigger surgery for females. Heat cycles are annoying unless you intend to breed or you spay before your female has a heat cycle. I chose to allow her to grow without hindering horomones.

I just prefer males. Its a preference thing, especially when you don't have any other dogs in the house. BUT I do agree with going to a reputable breeder and giving them details on what your lifestyle is like, what you're looking for and such and allowing them to pick the dog for you be it male or female. You can say you prefer one sex over the other or just that you are wanting such and such qualities and that's it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If your getting a true puppy. Absolutely trust the breeders opinion, there the ones that spend the most time with the dogs plus they get to see there personality. But you also need to know what type of dog you want to eventually have, I'm guessing the pup will be a family companion. If your family is always on the go and you want a dog that you can take anywhere and be out all day long you'd probably want a more active dog who comes from working lines, if your dog is gonna be at home all the time (even if you have a large backyard) your gonna want a laid back dog which would come from more of the show lines. Even though "show lines" are a little more laid back they will still get up and play with your boys and yourself, "working lines" will want to go all the time and if that doesn't blend well with your family then your just gonna end up with a high energy irritated dog, and that's never good. Please don't get a working line if you go out and jog for 30 mins to and hour a daythats not a work out that's more like just a warm up for them, these dog are ment to actually WORK all day long, that's where most people make there biggest mistake and that's also why we have so many pure breed GSDs in shelters. I have 2 working line GSDs and I've had a show line, my family is to on the go for a show line. But in the end which ever you get just do your research, read the books and ask any questions you may have on here sometimes you can get more info on the forums then in books. As for the boy or girl question I prefer boys in my experience they tend to be a little more caring, females seem to be a little more irritable...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
If you have any GSD clubs or groups in your area - visit with them, meet the dogs, and get an idea of what you personally like.

Visit potential breeders, meet their dogs, meet males and females, spend time with them, learn about their traits - see which vibes best with your family and needs.

Comes down to personal preference - there are gender specific generalities, but much of it depends on the individual dog.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
As far as size, there's an overlap, so you can end up with a larger female. As far as appearance, though, I'm surprised how often I can tell a male from a female just by looking at the face. In this breed, the females can be distinctly more feminine in appearance. A male, and I think especially one left intact beyond adolescence, can have a distinctly more masculine appearance. My Jack looks a lot more "manly" at 2-1/2 years than he did at eleven months...

My plushy senior female has a really blocky muzzle, but big, soft eyes and tiny ears, and she's itty bitty (maybe 60-62 lbs) under all her fur, and just moves like a "girl" ;)

These are generalities, based on my personal experience, and I am in no way an expert or professional. But it's also mentioned in the AKC breed standard for the GSD: "Secondary sex characteristics are strongly marked, and every animal gives a definite impression of masculinity or femininity, according to its sex." Found here: tp://www.akc.org/breeds/german_shepherd_dog/breed_standard.cfm

That may or may not matter to your family...it's not really a deal breaker for me. I just prefer the look of a male GSD. My next favorite breed, the Weimaraner, is the same way but even more so. In that breed, doggy bitches or bitchy dogs are actually considered a major fault in conformation. I prefer the size and appearance of females in that breed :p

You can't go wrong, whichever you choose! I'll second the replies suggesting that you let your breeder choose for temperament first and foremost.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had both boys and girls (currently) and here is my experience:
boys tend to drag you to every single light post, fire hydrand (teritorial behaviour) girls do not do the same. I would say that would be the biggest diference for me.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts