German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a form of gigantism in German Shepherds?
I have this one,4 months old,29 kilos,his parents are 35 kilos-father 28-mother.
So is he only just a very large GSD or is this some sort of gigantism(He isn't out of proportions,he is fine,even does look a bit thin to me:eek: )?

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
Is there a form of gigantism in German Shepherds?
I have this one,4 months old,29 kilos,his parents are 35 kilos-father 28-mother.
So is he only just a very large GSD or is this some sort of gigantism(He isn't out of proportions,he is fine,even does look a bit thin to me:eek: )?
Do you have pictures? Seems very large indeed. Are you sure of his age?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have pictures,but my internet is making me some problems so can't upload them now,
I'm sure of his age by two things
1.the breeder has given me the date when he has born
2.he is losing his teeth now(which normally does happen at 4-5 months)

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
i have pictures,but my internet is making me some problems so can't upload them now,
I'm sure of his age by two things
1.the breeder has given me the date when he has born
2.he is losing his teeth now(which normally does happen at 4-5 months)
How tall is he at the withers? (inches) Can the breeder say if he has any
'giants' in his background? Maybe he is an early bloomer. I hope some others who have had this type of experience will jump in.
Many years ago I got the runt of the litter who grew to be over 30" and was just a big GSD, not a giant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How tall is he at the withers? (inches) Can the breeder say if he has any
'giants' in his background? Maybe he is an early bloomer. I hope some others who have had this type of experience will jump in.
Many years ago I got the runt of the litter who grew to be over 30" and was just a big GSD, not a giant.
23.5" if i'm correct(2.5 cm=1 inch),We asked him about that,he said that he hadn't,he is an experienced breeder with 15 years of breeding

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Some dogs are just big and do all their growing on the front end.

A friend of ours has a monster puppy. Our puppy, Tag is a perfectly normal sized puppy that will probably mature out to about 80-85lbs. There are 2 months between Tag and our friends puppy Griff. This is a picture of Tag and Griff who are 8 and 6 months respectively. Griff is the puppy in the front. I bet he matures out to 95-100lbs easy. And while very large...not gigantism. :)

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
29 kilos and 23.5 inches...... hard to believe you consider him thin.
He must be very long.

·
Registered
32,873 Posts
63 lbs (29 kg) and 23.5" sounds proportional. My girl is 24.5" and 63. She is on the thin side.

I guess you won't really know what will happen until he finishes growing. He may slow down earlier than other puppies and end up just a little over average. But since he is growing quickly, have you had his joints checked? I would definitely NOT feed him puppy food and watch the calcium intake.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What and how much are you feeding him per day?
The food is Arion Premium Maintenance,had good experiences with it with the Cocker Spaniel that we had.
63 lbs (29 kg) and 23.5" sounds proportional. My girl is 24.5" and 63. She is on the thin side.

I guess you won't really know what will happen until he finishes growing. He may slow down earlier than other puppies and end up just a little over average. But since he is growing quickly, have you had his joints checked? I would definitely NOT feed him puppy food and watch the calcium intake.
The food which i'm giving to him is an adult food,since when we got it,it was hard to get the puppy food,because there is only one store in the country to sell it(it's in my town) and it didn't had puppy food at that time,so we took the young adult food(2 years-5 years).His joints we're checked last month.all ok,his back is just a bit roached on a scale of 0-5(0 not roached,5 extreme roached) a lets say 1.

29 kilos and 23.5 inches...... hard to believe you consider him thin.
He must be very long.
Oh well,maybe he is just more growing on the front end,and that's why i consider him a bit thin on the back end just as jklatsky said.oh well he'll probably be a biiiiig dog,when i started searching for a dog,i wanted a big dog.German Shepherds looked cool, and were on the bottom of the meaning big(i mean big by 40+ kilos dog)so i decided,he got his name from another big german shepherd for the breed(55 kilos)so maybe it's that why XD

·
Registered
987 Posts
Frank is about 25-26 inches(still working on the stand command to get him to stand still) and 60 pounds at 6 months, his parents were 28&29 inches and between 100 and 110 pounds if that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.