German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4.5 month old puppy has been battling Giardia for the last few weeks. As soon as he finishes his medicine from the doctor it is back. We have been picking up the feces right away and changing his water often. Looking for advice. Did anyone else's GS battle this for a few weeks? Suggestions?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I had the same problem with Deja when she was younger. Cured it with Koccifree and Bowel Pathogene Nosode. It has never come back

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ours just had a bout of giardia that started about three weeks ago. The vet put him on metronidazole. He got his final dose last Wednesday, and we've seen no signs of anything since.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Some giardia doesn't respond well to metronidazole. Most vets are opting for metronidazole and 5-7 day course of fenbendazole (panacur brand name) concurrently. Depending on the dogs natural immunity this should knock it out. Make sure to support the dog's gut health with beneficial bacteria during and after treatment, ask your vet about bene-bac or other prescription probiotics and then after care for G/I flora.

Then clean, clean, clean and clean some more. Bowls, bedding and it's better to be OCD about picking up their stools then not and treating the spot with at least a strong bleach solution and/or dessicant like diamotaceous earth or Sweet PDZ powder. Bathe the dog right after meds are completed paying special attention to the fur around, under the tail and thighs.

MSM has shown some anti-protozoal activity in animal studies and it's not expensive so check into it as well for preventative measures.

The biggest problem with giardia, especially in moist and/or cooler climates is the cysts (eggs basically) can easily survive for months and re-infect the dogs. So diligent treatment and follow up is necessary to prevent reinfection.

It's definitely one of those things where persistence pays off. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Safe Guard Goat Wormer (fenbendazole) is available at local feed and seed stores. I think it is a 5-7 day treatment but I can remember the dose. I do not like metronidazole, it can lead to horrible side effects on some dogs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If it is coming back right after treatments its probably not the medication that is lacking but he is most likely re-infecting himself. The cysts can stay dormant through rain drought moderate heat and moderate cold until they are ingested by the dog. To me it sounds like the medicine works but the pup is some how ingesting more cysts. Once he is off of the medicine the symptoms show back up again. What i had to do when my pup kept getting it was throw away all of his soft toys toss all his bedding and blankets. Luckily we dont have carpeting. Everything that was not tossed was cleaned with a bleach water solution. I wiped his butt with wet wipes after every poop and clorox wiped his crate every day. He also got a bath every 3 days for the 10 days of pancure. We also stopped going to the grass he used to poop in when he was infected. I believe that was everything we did.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If you are only treating one dog I suggest panacur from the vet, that way you're getting the proper dosage.

Metronidazole: The drug itself has been around for many years and properly administered by a veterinarian D.V.M. most dogs do just fine on it. My dogs have never had a bad reaction to metronidazole but it was administered by a vet and I carefully followed the instructions in giving it to my dogs. Per the vets I've spoken with the side effect problems often have to do with incorrect dosages.

Metronidazole is not 100% effective against giardia.

Metronidazole is the most commonly used extra-label therapy; however, efficacies as low as 50% to 60% are reported. Safety concerns also limit the use of metronidazole in dogs and cats
Giardia | CAPC Vet

It does, however, have a soothing and anti-inflammatory effect on the GI tract and in combination with fenbendazole is a good combination when dosed properly under the care of a veterinarian.

I've also read/heard people go ballistic about metronidazole destroying the beneficial gut bacteria. I've found that most vets are prescribing bene-bac or forti-flora and advising ongoing probiotic supplementation to alleviate that issue.

I really think metro gets a bad rap because people mis-use it, over use it or don't follow instructions.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Actually quaternary ammonium disinfectants is best. Bleach doesn't always kill the cysts.

Giardia & Pets | Giardia | Parasites | CDC

If it is coming back right after treatments its probably not the medication that is lacking but he is most likely re-infecting himself. The cysts can stay dormant through rain drought moderate heat and moderate cold until they are ingested by the dog. To me it sounds like the medicine works but the pup is some how ingesting more cysts. Once he is off of the medicine the symptoms show back up again. What i had to do when my pup kept getting it was throw away all of his soft toys toss all his bedding and blankets. Luckily we dont have carpeting. Everything that was not tossed was cleaned with a bleach water solution. I wiped his butt with wet wipes after every poop and clorox wiped his crate every day. He also got a bath every 3 days for the 10 days of pancure. We also stopped going to the grass he used to poop in when he was infected. I believe that was everything we did.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you are only treating one dog I suggest panacur from the vet, that way you're getting the proper dosage.

Metronidazole: The drug itself has been around for many years and properly administered by a veterinarian D.V.M. most dogs do just fine on it. My dogs have never had a bad reaction to metronidazole but it was administered by a vet and I carefully followed the instructions in giving it to my dogs. Per the vets I've spoken with the side effect problems often have to do with incorrect dosages.

Metronidazole is not 100% effective against giardia.

Giardia | CAPC Vet

It does, however, have a soothing and anti-inflammatory effect on the GI tract and in combination with fenbendazole is a good combination when dosed properly under the care of a veterinarian.

I've also read/heard people go ballistic about metronidazole destroying the beneficial gut bacteria. I've found that most vets are prescribing bene-bac or forti-flora and advising ongoing probiotic supplementation to alleviate that issue.

I really think metro gets a bad rap because people mis-use it, over use it or don't follow instructions.
The correct dose for panacur 10% solution (Safe Guard Goat Wormer) can be found on the internet (1ml/5 lbs). Legally, the product is not registered for giardia in dogs in the US and neither is Metronidazole.

I do not use Metronidazole even if the vet recommends it. The risk can happen even if you follow labled directions To think reactions can only happen because of misuse is not very logical.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Let's be clear, just for people who come across this thread researching, just because you call yourself 'Doc' you are not a licensed veterinarian. You can do with your dogs as you wish.

I do not recommend to people, on the internet, to go off label use for any drug and I've used a lot of 'em on horses and cattle. Plus Safeguard (which I am very familiar with) isn't that cheap either. So for one dog it's better to pay a little extra, get the proper dosage of panacur and treat the dog while under the supervision of the vet.

Metronidazole is prescribed fairly frequently, when properly used according to the D.V.M.s instructions it is safe. There is always potential negative side effects with any drug, including herbal/all natural.

If you do some research you will find that one of the most effective protocols for clearing the immediate giardia infection is the combo of metronidazole and fenbendazole. The problem is some vets are only prescribing metronidazole alone and it's only working about 60%ish percent of the time. However it has a positive synergistic effect when given with fenbendazole.

IME it's better to knock down the giardia infection quickly and effectively as possible thereby limiting the amount of cysts shed into the environment and cutting down opportunities for reinfection.

Further supporting the dogs gut flora and immune system to prevent future reinfection while being absolutely OCD about cleaning and sanitizing.

Thereby hitting it at all fronts so to speak and I don't think people who have one companion dog and have never dealt with giardia should mess around with goat dewormer without guidance from a D.V.M.

The correct dose for panacur 10% solution (Safe Guard Goat Wormer) can be found on the internet (1ml/5 lbs). Legally, the product is not registered for giardia in dogs in the US and neither is Metronidazole.

I do not use Metronidazole even if the vet recommends it. The risk can happen even if you follow labled directions To think reactions can only happen because of misuse is not very logical.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Let's be clear, just for people who come across this thread researching, just because you call yourself 'Doc' you are not a licensed veterinarian. You can do with your dogs as you wish.

I do not recommend to people, on the internet, to go off label use for any drug and I've used a lot of 'em on horses and cattle. Plus Safeguard (which I am very familiar with) isn't that cheap either. So for one dog it's better to pay a little extra, get the proper dosage of panacur and treat the dog while under the supervision of the vet.

Metronidazole is prescribed fairly frequently, when properly used according to the D.V.M.s instructions it is safe. There is always potential negative side effects with any drug, including herbal/all natural.

If you do some research you will find that one of the most effective protocols for clearing the immediate giardia infection is the combo of metronidazole and fenbendazole. The problem is some vets are only prescribing metronidazole alone and it's only working about 60%ish percent of the time. However it has a positive synergistic effect when given with fenbendazole.

IME it's better to knock down the giardia infection quickly and effectively as possible thereby limiting the amount of cysts shed into the environment and cutting down opportunities for reinfection.

Further supporting the dogs gut flora and immune system to prevent future reinfection while being absolutely OCD about cleaning and sanitizing.

Thereby hitting it at all fronts so to speak and I don't think people who have one companion dog and have never dealt with giardia should mess around with goat dewormer without guidance from a D.V.M.

I do my research and the only Panacur labeled in the US is the granular formulation. So if your vet is prescribing a liquid formulation, he is no better with his recommendation than mine. And if your vet is prescribing metrodinozole he is doing so off lable.
Do your self a favor and ask your vet what the dosage is for liquid Panacur. As I stated, it is used and labeled for dogs in other countries. Are you telling me the dosage is determined by what country a dog lives in. Before you challenge me and my advice, I'd encourage you to get information from your vet before you chastise me.
And by the way, you have never met me so can not judge me for what I am or am not. Do you honestly think every animal owned by someone in this country can only be treated by vet? Especially when the disorder is as common as girardia in pups? If the op would like to discuss anything I have posted, send me a pm. I've been around German shepherds a very long time and am familiar with most of the things that they encounter.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The name "Doc" was given to me many years ago when I earned and was awarded the highest degree possible in my chosen field of study. I have never claimed I was a DMV - you assumed I was a vet and you assumed wrong.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
It's one thing to give advice, another to tell someone to ignore the treatment their vet has prescribed. I had a dog I got from someone else with a resistant strain of Giardia. The vet told me the original owner tried to treat with Panacur instead of the proper treatment and created a strain that wouldn't respond. It took months to get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The OP asked for suggestions. Her current treatment was not working. Facts are facts - in the US, liquid Panacur and metro. are not labeled for dogs. So any use of those two,products is done off label. It is not an uncommon practice. I gave the rate based on consultation with 3 different vets. The chemistry of a 10% solution is the same no matter where it comes from. And the dosage is based on weight. And if you read the label, the product is given to dogs with Giardia in other countries such as the UK. I was merely making a suggestion that has worked for me in the past under similar situations. The OP can determine if she wants to follow my suggestion or not.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
O appreciate the ideas Doc, strains of bugs are getting stronger and more resilient then ever.. Having an arsenal available is always nice... It does surprise me how many vets can be 'behind the times' in things.. Not always, but often...

·
Banned
311 Posts
The OP asked for suggestions. Her current treatment was not working. Facts are facts - in the US, liquid Panacur and metro. are not labeled for dogs. So any use of those two,products is done off label. It is not an uncommon practice. I gave the rate based on consultation with 3 different vets. The chemistry of a 10% solution is the same no matter where it comes from. And the dosage is based on weight. And if you read the label, the product is given to dogs with Giardia in other countries such as the UK. I was merely making a suggestion that has worked for me in the past under similar situations. The OP can determine if she wants to follow my suggestion or not.
DOC you have been there done that NUFF SAID! You have earned it brother nobody gave it to you, you went out there and earned it. You got it and nobody can take it from you. Don't let anyone steal your energy! :grin2:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts