German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog for the last two months has had loose stool. So I researched dog food and got him a good brand. I made sure I did not over feed him. Then I took the next steep and took him to the vet and had his stool tested for worms and anything else. Well that came back clean and the vet was stumped and kept saying try this kind of food which was junk food. So I decided today to try a new vet and lo and behold he found the problem in 5 minutes with a test. Found out it was Giardia so he is on medicine for that at least I finally know. The vet said its not hard to get rid of but I have to stop letting him drink from the lake I live on, that maybe that is where he got it. Has any one dealt with this Giardia before and was it that simple to fix? Another thing I learn a second opinion is needed in dogs also not just us. These dang dogs are like kids heck I watch how I feed them and take care of them almost better than I did my kids lol.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Giardia is a different test than the regular stool test for worms/coccidia. I'm surprised your first vet didn't run it after the other test came out negative. I certainly wouldn't say it's 'easy' to get rid of. Often it takes two round of treatments. It can live in the soil through freezing temps.

Pick up all of her stools immediately and spray the area with a bleach/water solution of 15:1. My vet had told me 30:1 but I found online 15:1.

What did you vet give for treament? Some only give metronidazole but after it didn't get rid of it the first round with my puppy I asked for panacur in addition (3 days panacur with 21 days on metronidazole).

You just have to stay diligent.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got metronidazole for ten days of treatment. Then I have to go back and get him tested again. He never mention the bleach to me, thats why this site is so good for info. Thanks for that tip. The vet said he had a very small case of it to where it hardly showed up. But how do you only have it a little it seems to me that you have it or you dont.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You're right- you either have the parasite or you don't. Stosh picked it up when he was about 5 mos old from drinking out of a big puddle in our pasture. We live on a lake too with several creeks so it's hard to say--there must have been 100's of animals going through our place pooping along the way and keeping him from drinking out of all this water is pretty close to impossible but I do my best. Make sure you wash your hands well after cleaning up poop and petting your dog because you can get the parasite too. Chances might be slim but my vet warned me to be very careful--you don't want that nasty bug too. Hope your guy is feeling better soon

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta had giardia when she was a little pup. We never treated our yard with bleach and she's never been reinfected. Hope your baby feels better soon.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the best wishes. I just hope it takes his amazing thirst away as im so tired of cleaning up his messing drinking lol.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The vet should have said only a little showed up. You can get a negative even when they have it. It only shows up when they sluff off. Ten days doesn't sound long enough to me. Mine did two rounds of 21 days (plus the 3day panacur the 2nd round). Her test after the first round only showed one I think but the vet reiterated that it depends on time of sluff off.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh also had the 21 day treatment and was retested twice--only after 2 negative tests was he declared 'cured'. They're nasty little bugs and can be hard to shake. Once a dog has a history of giardia my vets are very diligent about taking a stool sample when he comes in and get it fresh out of the oven so to speak--bringing in a sample may mean missing it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I will stay on top of this for sure and ask for longer treatment. I like the sound of 21 days verses only 10. I thought 10 days seamed short to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
oh great !one more thing for me to worry about lol my dogs drink from lakes and streams while we are hiking , but I only let them drink from ones with moving water that has algae in it to filter.
95% of the time my dogs have solid stools, except if i give them gravy or something.
Do I still need to worry and have them tested? any medical journals online worth looking at about this?

·
Registered
514 Posts
My pup had giardia for about 6 months....it was very hard to get rid of. If I had to do it over again, I would do 7 days of metronidazole(flagyl) and 10 days of fenbendazole(Panacur). Long term treatment of flagyl always scared me due to the possible neurological side effects.

From my research, the treatment of choice is a combo of metro and panacur with a 3-5 day follow-up of panacur ~2 weeks later. Also, make sure to bathe during and after treatment as well as cleaning up after the dog immediately. I also bleached my yard with a 6oz/gallon ratio(garden chemical sprayer with the hose attachment at my local hardware store).

Good luck. Sometimes this can be really hard to get rid of!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh yeah, definitely bathe the dog- my vet gave Stosh a 'sanitary' clip which mean she shaved the areas where poop would collect since he's long-coated and was going a lot. And krystene73- don't worry, you'll know if your dog picks up giardia, it's not very subtle. The diarrhea Stosh had was literally explosive and in great amounts. Some vomiting too. I don't imagine the vet will test for it without symptoms

1 - 12 of 12 Posts