German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with a case of Giardia that just won't go away? Our 7 month old GSD puppy has had it since we got him at 8 weeks old. The vet has treated him twice with Panacur and Metronadizole and he still tests positive for it. The vet says that he isn't too worried about it unless he starts showing symptoms again. Thankfully, he doesn't really have diarrhea or any throwing up anymore, but I just wondered if anyone else had this struggle and how long it took to clear up?
Thanks for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
How long was he on the two drugs? I found that I had to use the Panacur for 2 weeks and the other for 7-10 days to get rid of a particularly nasty strain of Giardia that went through all of my adult dogs in the middle of winter several years ago.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Assuming you've got consistently solid poop and no more symptoms, if you're using the ELISA test, I think you might be seeing the giardia antigen that remains for months after an infection has been successfully treated. I remember reading somewhere that it takes something like 6 months for the test to go negative after successfuly treatment, as it takes that long for the antigens to clear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Yes, I'm hoping that's the case - that he's just testing positive because of the antigens. He was treated with Panacur 2 times for 5 days each, if I'm remembering correctly. He's actually had Metronadizole 3 times for 7 days each. He still gets loose stools a few times a week, but not consistently and not bad diarrhea.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
On the vet's advice, I usually treat giardia in the rescue with panacur for at least 7 days. This is in line with Lisa's experience (above). I think 5 days sometimes works -- if symptoms come back, I would ask the vet to go for a longer course next time though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank y'all so much! Hopefully when we go back for his next check up, it will be clear! But, if not, we'll be trying some of the things y'all suggested!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts