German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so my 5 month old DDR pup was diagnosed with a lot of Giardia about a week and a half ago. Although she has had mushy poop about 60% of the time. Some days solid most not. She is gaining weight steadily (40 pounds currently) and her activity level is high so I never thought much of it. I had switched her off her breeders kibble then to Wilderness puppy, and now to Fromms Gold so I attributed the mushy poop to food changes.

The vet prescribed Panacur for a week, and the poop got worse! So they prescribed another round plus probiotics. I also have been mixing pumpkin in with her food, but its not working. I cannot get the diarrhea to stop! Its the consistency of soft serve ice cream.

She was on 3 cups of dry kibble with some raw venison mixed in prior to the wilderness kibble. When she was on the wilderness kibble her poops were somewhat decent but still a tad loose. I read that Fromms large breed gold adult was better for DDR shepherds because the protein and calorie content wasn't too high. Anyway then I switched her to that and bumped it up to about 6 cups a day total, but have since backed off back to 3.

I am at my breaking point. I cant get this diarrhea to stop!

HELP

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I can understand your concern. It seems to me that with the Giardia which was only diagnosed a week and a half ago and all the food changes, it isn't surprising that she would continue to have diarrhea. It will take time to build up the good bacteria in her tummy. I suggest putting her on small meals of the chicken, rice, and a little pumpkin. If you can feed ,her 4 times a day, or at last 3. She was on probiotics, so if she still isn't - that should be continued or a pre-probiotics. I use Optagest which I give daily as a supplement. Then as her poops gradually get better, slowly, mix in kibble. If you change foods in the future, do it slowly, mixing in the old with the new and gradually increasing the ratios. I did it during a period of 3 weeks, but I have read others have done it in a shorter time. If she doesn't improve or gets worse in a week of the chicken/rice/pumpkin, then I would suggest checking with the vet.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Good suggestion by Mary Beth: "I suggest putting her on small meals of the chicken, rice, and a little pumpkin. If you can feed ,her 4 times a day, or at least 3."

Directions:
To help get the diarrhea under control, withhold food for 12 hours. Then put him on a bland diet for a few days.
Boneless, skinless chicken breast or turkey breast, de-fatted, boiled, grease rinsed off, shredded and cooled. (note: packaged ground turkey breast from the store is easy).
Prepared White Rice (not instant) with about 2 times the water suggested. The cook time will take longer but will make the rice super digestible. Adjust stove heat towards the end of cooking time so as not to burn.
Ratio mix should be 2 cups rice to 1 cup chicken. Add in PLAIN canned pumpkin if desired.
Feeding should be divided into about 3 to 4 smaller feedings per day.
Adjust amount fed per day for your size dog.

This "should" stop up any dog/pup but if it doesn't, I would suspect that chicken may be the culprit (or possibly the grains). If that is the case after several days, change the chicken to ground beef. After a few days if stool is firm, slowly add a new kibble back into this mix that doesn't contain chicken, eggs, or chicken fat.
Do the switch very slowly. A small amount of new kibble (mixed into the meat/rice mix) in one feeding per day (eventually adding to each meal) and watch stool. If stool produces "Dairy Queen" style :laugh: go back to previous amounts of food fed and hold there for a day or two before increasing again. This is called bowel tolerance.

Giardia is a tough one to get rid of. Another avenue would be to purchase Kocci Free (now Kochi Free): [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Technology-Kocci-Free/dp/B002MV9UDS[/ame] This natural formula has helped MANY dogs on this blog!;)

Moms:)

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
How long did you give the Panacur (how many days)? What I've found in rescue is that we have to give it for 5-7 days for it to take care of giardia. If they only prescribe it for 3 days, it seems like it's not long enough.

You may also have to worry about reinfection, if the pup was dropping infected feces in the backyard.

I would drop the raw venison for now and go with just the Fromm, to keep it simple. I would also keep using the probiotic from the vet for a good long while with this pup.

You can boost the probiotic it by adding it to a scoop of bovine colostrum powder (it makes the probiotic more effective in dogs, according to a peer-reviewed article in a British vet journal in 2014). I put both of them in a small dish with some filtered water, and open up a capsule of slippery elm into the mix, and add a spoon or to of canned pumpkin. This slurry of goodness is usually very appetizing to the dog, and it tends to help pretty quickly (the slippery elm coats and soothes, the pumpkin is fiber to bulk, the colostrum facilitates an environment conducive to good gut flora).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts