German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old german shepherd puppy has been diagnosed AGAIN for the 4 th time with Giardia. When I brought him home at 8 weeks a few days after I had him he was having terrible diarrhea, and was loosing weight and I brought him to the vets, found out he tested positive for Giardia. He was on 7 days metronidazole and 6 days panacur. It cleared right up no more symptoms until a month later it happened again, and then again. And here we are a 4th time, I feel so bad for the guy, and I’ve been struggling to keep weight on him. Does anyone else have any experience with this and if it’s going to keep coming back? I have disinfected the house, cleaned all his toys blankets and bathed him. So I’m at a loss

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
It is most likely not due to anything you have done wrong. Yes, mine had it and it never quite went away for months. He now has a lot of allergies and other health issues that I think came from too many early antibiotics. The vet finally tried stopping all meds, boosting his own immunity through probiotics and a better diet. Are they using a visual test? I hope they aren‘t using ERISA, which shows false positives. Do you see it in his stool? I switched mine to Fromm and it went away on its own. Some, people here use diatomaceous earth, which I can’t recommend because I have never used it.

I used Fortiflora for a few months. If your dog can tolerate it, goat milk kefir also worked. But now he is allergic to almost all food we have tried and is on a prescription diet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I
It is most likely not due to anything you have done wrong. Yes, mine had it and it never quite went away for months. He now has a lot of allergies and other health issues that I think came from too many early antibiotics. The vet finally tried stopping all meds, boosting his own immunity through probiotics and a better diet. Are they using a visual test? I hope they aren‘t using ERISA, which shows false positives. Do you see it in his stool? I switched mine to Fromm and it went away on its own. Some, people here use diatomaceous earth, which I can’t recommend because I have never used it.

I used Fortiflora for a few months. If your dog can tolerate it, goat milk kefir also worked. But now he is allergic to almost all food we have tried and is on a prescription diet.
I did ask my vet if they were using ERISA to test and they said they were not, that they could see the Giardia in the sample I provided. My pup is now allergic to chicken turkey and venison, and I’ve only had good luck on a lamb and rice diet. He seems to be a sensitive boy, and I hope this doesn’t affect him long term 🙁

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Poor little guy :( Nikki had it too when she was a puppy.

Do you clean his bottom every time he goes potty and wipe his feet after he's been outside?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poor little guy :( Nikki had it too when she was a puppy.

Do you clean his bottom every time he goes potty and wipe his feet after he's been outside?
Yup! I have wipes that I use. He is NOT a fan but I’m just trying to be as preventative as possible.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Deja's second infection cleared up right away with a herbal supplement called Koccifree and a homeopathic tincture called Bowel Pathogen Nosode. Both from Amazon and it never came back/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it’s been 6 days of metronidazole and panacur treatment and Indy is still having bad diarrhea, the vet said to continue to wait and see if it clears up, has anyone else experienced this? Is his system just irritated from the medication and having the Giardia?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts